What's new

Mupen64Plus v2.0 is here!

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Hello N64 fans! It's been almost 4 years in the making, and Mupen64Plus v2.0 is finally here! It's been over a year since the 1.99.5 release, and we finally worked through everything that I wanted to finish before the official 2.0 name. Some of the highlights of this release are:

• All: more supported platforms, including Visual Studio 2012, ARM, PPC, and MinGW
  • All: experimental support for SDL 2.0 library
  • Audio: more resampling quality options, and support for resampling with speexdsp library
  • Core: fixes for various games (DK64, Zelda, Blast Corps)
  • Core: add Ari64's new dynamic recompiler, with support for x86 and ARM architectures
  • Core: improved PJ64 savestate loading, auto-detect savestate slot type
  • Core/Video: support for resizing video window when in windowed mode
  • Input: Re-write auto-configuration logic to have more user friendly behavior
  • Input: New auto-configurations for 6 controllers
  • RSP: Support for JPEG textures used in Pokemon Stadium Japan
  • Rice-Video: improve hires texture loading support
  • Rice-Video: Build option to support mobile devices by using OpenGL ES 2.0
  • Glide64mk2-Video: brand new (for us) video plugin based on Gonetz's 10th anniversary release of Glide64

Full release notes can be found here.

Credits
I would like to say a special thanks to: ecsv (for his brilliant work on the hard bugs, and maintaining all of the project files, which is a thankless job), casualjames (for his huge work in refactoring code and cleaning up things in the core), paulscode (for porting Ari64's dynamic recompiler to our project), and Bobby Smiles (for his work in refactoring and documenting the code for the RSP).

Quick start (Linux)
The easiest way to start running and testing this release is to download a binary bundle package from the Google Code site (link below), unzip it into a directory, and run it with this command: "./mupen64plus m64p_test_rom.v64". You can run it directly from this directory, or to install it to your system, simply do "sudo ./install.sh". Likewise, to un-install it, "sudo ./uninstall.sh"

Quick start (Windows)
For Windows users, download the bundle-win32 zip file from the Google Code site (link below) and unzip it to a directory. Open your DOS prompt (Start->Run->cmd.exe or the "Command Prompt" in Start->Accessories). Once you have the command-line window, 'cd' to the directory where you unzipped the win32 bundle. Then run "mupen64plus.exe m64p_test_rom.v64" to start up the test ROM. Press Escape to exit. Use the '--help' command-line option to get a list of all available options. The last argument is always taken to be a path to an uncompressed N64 ROM image to run. Sorry but there is currently no Windows installer available.

Upgrading from previous 1.99.x releases
Your input plugin configuration settings will be reset to defaults when you run Mupen64Plus v2.0 the first time. If you have made any Input plugin configuration changes to your mupen64plus.cfg file since installing an earlier version of Mupen64Plus, you may want to make a backup copy of your config file (look here to find out where this file is stored depending on your OS).

Downloads
To download Mupen64Plus v2.0, just grab the package that you want:
mupen64plus-bundle-osx-2.0.zip
mupen64plus-bundle-linux32-2.0.tar.gz
mupen64plus-bundle-linux64-2.0.tar.gz
mupen64plus-bundle-linux64-2.0-ubuntu.tar.gz
mupen64plus-bundle-win32-2.0.zip
mupen64plus-bundle-src-2.0.tar.gz

Please note that the Linux binary packages are linked against the latest version of libpng, which is 1.5. Some Linux distributions still have older versions of libpng, so the "-ubuntu" package is provided which links against libpng 1.2. If you get 'dlopen' errors when running the default binary build, try the "-ubuntu" package instead.

The MD5 sums for these packages are:

b9363bc94d352f918581d9d55d8a5b28 mupen64plus-bundle-linux32-2.0.tar.gz
076c66cbbf2ba8aad089c2334c6dc1f8 mupen64plus-bundle-linux64-2.0.tar.gz
b6d7c7417cf064dc640b2c8d1ab5a6b9 mupen64plus-bundle-linux64-2.0-ubuntu.tar.gz
488d1446d2ca388c95a30547b425c4c5 mupen64plus-bundle-osx-2.0.zip
f855b4233faa9616b780c364fc4a9a9a mupen64plus-bundle-src-2.0.tar.gz
f13235dfce26599977b52f48fd9e6f03 mupen64plus-bundle-win32-2.0.zip

Front-end applications
As many of you know, I made a major change in the architecture of Mupen64Plus when we began working towards this release, back in 2009. I separated all of the user-interface functions from the core emulator and re-designed the core to be a library which can be linked against different user interfaces (called Front-end applications). This architecture allows us to focus on making the best emulator possible while reaching the widest audience by allowing other developers to write front-end programs for any platform. Users should be aware that the front-end application which is included with the release bundles is a simple command-line application. But I'm happy to report that there are at least 4 GUI front-end applications which are currently in development. We keep a list of third-party plugins and applications here. As a special mention, mudlord has recently begun work on a new Windows-only front-end application called winmupen. I hope that all of the Front-end developers will soon make new releases of their projects based upon the Mupen64Plus 2.0 libraries.

Documentation
Mupen64Plus has a Home Page over at Google Code, with lots of useful information, screenshots, a bug tracker, a discussion forum, etc. There is a lot of user documentation here. The Mupen64Plus 2.0 API is documented at http://mupen64plus.retrouprising.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page.

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
This was a really nice surprise to see from return of my vacation.

You all are doing some fine work!

murasame

C'est super ! Merci Richard ! Thank you Richard for keeping up to date with this project. Much appreciated.

Kindest regards.

kwaspek104

Hi, Donkey Kong 64 isn't running at insane speeds anymore, but the game still flickers like a MADMAN. It's unplayable. Any suggestions?

If it's relevant, I'm using a Macintosh. Thank you.

kwaspek104

Thank you, but... how exactly do I use it?

I used Terminal before to launch the games. Do I also use Terminal to launch games with glide? Or do I use a launcher? Sorry for sounding like a noobie, but I'm pretty new to this.

OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Thank you, but... how exactly do I use it?

I used Terminal before to launch the games. Do I also use Terminal to launch games with glide? Or do I use a launcher? Sorry for sounding like a noobie, but I'm pretty new to this.

Correct. There are a couple of shell script files that you can use to run Mupen64plus under OSX. I think they are called run_rice.sh and run_glide.sh. If you put your games in a folder called ROMS on your desktop, you can start a rom by running it like this from the Terminal within the directory containing these scripts (with the correct filenames):

./run_glide.sh "~/Desktop/ROMS/Super Mario Kart 64.v64"

kwaspek104

Oh. So the file "run_glide.sh" that comes with the download IS glide64mk2? Because I thought that was separate that you had to download from here: https://bitbucket.org/richard42/mupen64plus-video-glide64mk2/downloads

And when do I type this in Terminal: ./run_glide.sh "~/Desktop/ROMS/Super Mario Kart 64.v64"
The way I usually run games is:
CEN0029181:~ kasperkuzmicki$ cd /Users/kasperkuzmicki/Desktop/ROMS/mupen64plus.app/Contents/MacOS
CEN0029181:MacOS kasperkuzmicki$ ls

And then a bunch of stuff shows up, and I type
CEN0029181:MacOS kasperkuzmicki$ ./mupen64plus /Users/kasperkuzmicki/Desktop/ROMS/example.v64

That's basically what I found on a tutorial once. For some reason, that method doesn't work anymore.

OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Oh. So the file "run_glide.sh" that comes with the download IS glide64mk2? Because I thought that was separate that you had to download from here: https://bitbucket.org/richard42/mupen64plus-video-glide64mk2/downloads

And when do I type this in Terminal: ./run_glide.sh "~/Desktop/ROMS/Super Mario Kart 64.v64"
The way I usually run games is:
CEN0029181:~ kasperkuzmicki$ cd /Users/kasperkuzmicki/Desktop/ROMS/mupen64plus.app/Contents/MacOS
CEN0029181:MacOS kasperkuzmicki$ ls

And then a bunch of stuff shows up, and I type
CEN0029181:MacOS kasperkuzmicki$ ./mupen64plus /Users/kasperkuzmicki/Desktop/ROMS/example.v64

That's basically what I found on a tutorial once. For some reason, that method doesn't work anymore.

The 2.0 bundle includes both the glide64mk2 and rice video plugins. The run_rice.sh and run_glide.sh scripts should be in the same directory which includes mupen64plus.app. So you can do this:

Code:
cd /Users/kasperkuzmicki/Desktop/ROMS/
./run_glide.sh "/Users/kasperkuzmicki/Desktop/ROMS/example.v64"

Actually your old method should still work as well, but you need to give command-line options to select which video plugin to use. The run_*.sh scripts just send these options for you. You can run like this: "./mupen64plus --help" to see all of the options available.

kwaspek104

OH MY GOD IT WORKS.

I LOVE YOU.

PLEASE HAVE MY CHILDREN.

Ahem. Excuse me. Seriously, thank you. I've been trying to get this game to work for a while on a MAC. I'm gonna go try to figure out how to configure a controller and use save states now...

V1del

Hey Richard, disregard any of my reports about glide64mk2 not stretching, turns out I'm an idiot an you can simply set the value in the ini, which I completely forgot about.

Zuzma

Just dumping this here because I don't think Richard42 comes on that often. Anyway Hydro Thunder is playable with compiled git versions. It was probably just over looked in testing I think. I tried countperop=3 at first, but it would freeze at the beginning of the races. Then I tried 1 which made the game seem playable. I finished the first race just fine, and played a little of a second one. It's probably not completely stable since I haven't done more testing, but right now it seems good enough.

Edit: by the way very awesome hack. It really pushes the emulator compatibility a lot higher, maybe even to project64 levels.

Last edited:

ringeringering

Hello,
I recently downloaded Mupen64Plus v2.0 for the first time, so I am very new to this operation of booting the emulator and the ROM from the Terminal. I've been trying to learn by following this thread as well as many other sites, but still seem to be coming up short. Here's what I've done so far to no avail:
I've placed my mupen64plus.app along with the run_rice.sh and run_glide.sh scripts in a folder labeled ROMS on my desktop along with the game I'm wanting to play: donkeykong64.v64. I then have been trying to boot the emulator and play the game by entering terminal and simply entering this code:

cd /Users/~/Desktop/ROMS/
./run_glide.sh "/Users/~/Desktop/ROMS/donkeykong64.v64"

From that, I get the reply:

-bash: ./run_glide.sh: Permission denied

I really have no idea what I'm doing wrong or what to do. Your help would be greatly appreciated!

V1del

Seems like you're lacking permissions, can you give the output of
Code:
ls -al
after the "cd"? If you'd like a GUI you could also give m64py a try. There's also the problem that 2.0 has a bug in DK64 which can lead to a level restart when swinging on lianes, basically making succesful completion rely on luck to not trigger this bug, it has since been fixed. Idk how m64py handles distribution on mac but it may have included a mupen version recent enough to have this fix