What's new

N64 - List of games that use MusyX, and any open source audio plugin playing it?

SubDrag

Is there a list of games that use MusyX audio, and any open source audio plugin using HLE that plays it? Thanks.

F

Fanatic 64

No to both.

Some I can think of:
The World is not Enough
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Star Wars: Battle for Naboo
...And there must be more, but I can't remember them (not that I know them all anyway).

Last edited:

bobby.smiles32

The following N64 games uses MusyX technology :
Rogue Squadron,
Resendent Evil 2, Snow Cross Polaris,
The World Is Not Enough Rugrats In Paris, NBA Show Time, Hydro Thunder, Tarzan, Gauntlet Legend, Rush 2049,
Indiana Jones, Battle For Naboo.

Currently there is no plugin (that I know of) that plays MusyX using HLE.

OP
S

SubDrag

That's great that you're able to get somewhere. Hopefully can continue to improve it until we get HLE for musyx, that's an important step. From reverse engineering GC or n64 asm?

OP
S

SubDrag

That's awesome news, and very impressive!!! Many thanks for your hard work, I can only imagine the difficulty. On a quick test, I rebuilt mupen and getting sound in TWINE, and sounds great! Going to mess with it a bit.

Last edited:
F

Fanatic 64

If only you could have that without having to cross-compile on Linux...

OP
S

SubDrag

Good news! Thanks to your open source code, I'm able to rip, TWINE sound bank! I'll try my hand at all the Musyx games before updating N64 Sound Tool publicly. Maybe we'll see some beta sounds. It does look like TWINE has a lot of deleted sounds though (not recoverable), as the digits skip many values. I'm not sure how the music works, this was only sfx, but it has instruments. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
OP
S

SubDrag

I've updated the zip of N64 Sound Tool to include Musyx parsing of:
The World Is Not Enough Rugrats In Paris, NBA Show Time, Hydro Thunder, Tarzan, Gauntlet Legend, Rush 2049

The rest of the Musyx games have compressed sound tables, which will fall one day, once we get the compression. I probably could brute force decompress them in RAM if someone has a specific need for one of them, but for now, once decompressed I'll add them.

OP
S

SubDrag

Bobby Smiles, which Musyx game uses load_samples_PCM16? All the games I've seen use musyx adpcm.

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Nice job getting MusyX working. Were you able to do it for one game and have it work for the others or how many different variants have you found? If I get back to working on my audio plugin again, would you mind if I used the code to round out HLE?

bobby.smiles32

Were you able to do it for one game and have it work for the others or how many different variants have you found?

I've found 4 versions of musyx ucode:
- Rogue Squadron
- ResidentEvil2 + Polaris SnowCross
- The World Is Not Enough + Rugrats in Paris + NBA Showtime + Hydro Thunder + Tarzan + Gauntlet Legend + Rush 2049
- Indiana Jones + Battle For Naboo

For my implementation I used the version from Rogue Squadron as it seemed to be the first game using this technology.

I haven't performed a full diff between each version, but they all seems to be very similar (some addresses changed, some instructions were reordered... things like that) as they all work with the version I implemented.

If I get back to working on my audio plugin again, would you mind if I used the code to round out HLE?

The code is licensed under the GPL2, you can do whatever this license allows you to.

OP
S

SubDrag

It turns out load_samples_PCM16 is used by Rogue Squadron. I'm working on seeing where it's used. Also, so far, of the games we've been to dump from, most have 0x1C per entry in the Musyx control file, while Rogue Squadron has 0x18 per entry. It is missing a 4-byte 00000000, that ingame is turned into the ROM address of the sound data.

Last edited: