What's new

No more used games XBOX latest and PS4 prevent it

Cyberman

Just so you know both the PS4 and latest XBOX prevent you from EVER getting a used game. You will NEVER get a used discount on ANY game for those systems. Also you need to pay via subscription service (full price).

Just think soon you'll have to pay leasing fees for playing games ;)

Just an FYI.

F

Fanatic 64

Love how everybody (outside here...) claims the PlayStation 4 is the ultimately superior system.

The Xbox One makes you pay the game's retail price in order to unlock used games. Which effectively kills used games market, since nobody would want to pay retail price (plus resale price) for a semi-scratched disc, and gifting it would be nonsense either because it would be the same as purchasing brand new + you no longer have the game.

Seems like it's Wii U for me this gen (that or 100%ing the 3 N64 Mario Party games...).

F

Fanatic 64

Seems like more than 1 people here will buy the PlayStation 4...

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

This ^^, they never said anything about it yet, only XBOX has said that
Try here, see this discussion in this forum.

Sony applied for a patent regarding the technology to lock games this way. It would make little sense if they didn't intend to implement it. Just because they didn't announce something has nothing to do with what they intend to do. Just like the "backwards compatibility" of the PS3 and PS2 was a lie, do you think they would tell you they intend to beat on you for more money? No they want you to continue to be spend money so they have guarenteed income so they get big bonuses ... etc. etc. It's the same old same old.

Maybe nintendo won't do this kind of thing, it's hard to know really.

So my statement of "no more used games" is accurate. As all games are no longer 'purchased' but 'leased' in Sony's and MS's scheme. Just like the licensing in windows since XP. So you buy a "used" game you have to buy a new license, as you don't own the game, you are just leasing it. The media is the only thing that is used. I guess you'll just have to get used to it. It's an old scheme given a modernized ugliness.

Anyhow time to move on. I have my own plans, this will give me more incentive (and time) to do other stuff I figure. Ham radio Rasperry Pie, Parallella, POV-Ray, who knows even revive my old PS1 and PS2 experiments. Games were only a hobby I was more into figuring out their data formats. Acidentally got into playing them really (because some games were actually good).

Cyb