What's new

i wanna extend rdram in project 64

BillyTheWish

Hello im Billy.
i've read this topic:
(edit, i cant post it here somehow, it denies it for me)
and the guy who made it didnt answer me.

im now trying to find out how to extend rdram? i have the source code and stuff, but it isnt a constant, variable or something like that. What C code controls exactly the rdram? i need a bit help here.

-Billy.

F

Fanatic 64

Like, why do you want to get more RDRAM in PJ64? All N64 software out there only use either 4 MB (stock) or 8 MB (Expansion Pak) of RAM, so emulating more would only be waste (you won't get higher framerate/resolution/textures/drawing distance/etc just by increasing the N64's RAM, the software needs to be designed for it, and as I said earlier, no N64 software is made for such thing).

OP
B

BillyTheWish

Like, why do you want to get more RDRAM in PJ64? All N64 software out there only use either 4 MB (stock) or 8 MB (Expansion Pak) of RAM, so emulating more would only be waste (you won't get higher framerate/resolution/textures/drawing distance/etc just by increasing the N64's RAM, the software needs to be designed for it, and as I said earlier, no N64 software is made for such thing).

but its good for asm hacks or importing levels i play sm64 and i want this so badly. sm64 didnt use expansion pak so we have 4mb rdram that isnt in use. however currently im using a program that wants more than that, so i need to figure out what part in pj64 does the rdram part. and cause the source code isnt documented or anything its really hard to find out. so im asking here, in hope that i get help here.

EDIT: Please I need it so badly, please help me!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarek701

Hello. I've tried expanding RDRAM on my own once, but I can't do it because I have no single knowledge of how PJ64 works.
Could someone here explain a theoretical method to gain like 12MB RDRAM or even 32MB RDRAM? I heard it was something with the RCP Memory Map, but I'm not sure about this.

As still many do not agree with this, I really believe that having more RDRAM can be really useful and as I'm working myself in SM64 Hacking too, we have a big problem. The level importer uses already all of the additional 4MB RDRAM, making it impossible to create any new asm hacks. So, I ask if someone here knows how to do expand the RDRAM and maybe some people (with a good experience in this) could create an expansion to like 12MB RDRAM or even more.

Last edited:

Cyberman

I believe the issue with expanding RDRAM is that the game shouldn't be able to take advantage of it.
As I believe the original N64 could only go up to 8M (IE double it). I believe some people made hacks to use expanded RDRAM in the emulator however it required modifying the original game code to use (think the equivalent of HD texturing or the like). Anyhow the original games would not be able to make use of it. The original system was not designed to be expandable or have improved hardware beyond what Ninty could think of :D

Cyb