What's new

Audio v0.60 Feedback

Imgema

Retro Hoarder
I'm using Project 64 2.1 and my problem is that in many games (like world is not enough), when i disable "fixed audio timing" and sync "using audio" i get smooth sound and steady 60 VI/s but there is a delay in the audio. Like, i'm firing a gun and the sound comes up late (at least a half second lag). If i enable "fixed audio timing" it fixes the delay but it introduces sound popping.

Is there any other option? Do the VI refresh rate and Ai count per byte do anything? I have no idea how to configure them.

Last edited:
OP
Azimer

Azimer

Emulator Developer
The way the audio streaming code works currently isn't the most efficient. I am in the process of rewriting some of the code but had to put the project on hold for a little while. We just had a new addition to our family and he is not yet well enough to come home. Hopefully in a couple weeks I can pick up the project again and collect all this feedback and see what we can do to make some better audio.

Have you noticed any better performance or audio latency from any other plugin?

Imgema

Retro Hoarder
Have you noticed any better performance or audio latency from any other plugin?
Nah, i get the same results with the new plugin by Shunyuan which is also good for smooth pop-less audio at 60VI/s. Probably this is an emulator issue and not the plugin?

Zera

In my experience pj64 2.0/2.1 are loaded with issues and 1.6 is better, so give 1.6 a go
This won't fix his issue. It's also bad advice, Pj64 2.1 is better than 1.6 for the majority of games if configured properly (meaning you need to mess with the VI refresh rate value) and with the right combination of plugins.

dsx

This won't fix his issue. It's also bad advice, Pj64 2.1 is better than 1.6 for the majority of games if configured properly (meaning you need to mess with the VI refresh rate value) and with the right combination of plugins.

for which games exactly? and if my advice is bad, it doesnt matter, people don't have to listen to me :p

Imgema

Retro Hoarder
Pj64 2.1 is better than 1.6 for the majority of games if configured properly (meaning you need to mess with the VI refresh rate value) and with the right combination of plugins.
I agree with this. Yes, 2.0/2.1 default settings are problematic. You need to configure each game one by one to get the best results. But if you take the time to do it, in the end you will have many more games running without issues than in 1.6. It gives you the options to do that, you just have to find them (and the option to save different plugins per game is always nice). Thanks to version 2.1 i actually have no use for other emulators like Mupen, 1964 or PJ64 audio fix (i haven't tested all games yet though). So far, i can play everything with just 2.1, assuming i take the time to configure each game (and that's great for things like Hyperspin). Some games are completely broken by default, making the emulator look bad though. All it needs is a good RDB update imo.

OP
Azimer

Azimer

Emulator Developer
It's intended to work with the frame limiter. Sorry for the slow response. New baby is sucking up my free time so I am not frequenting the board as much.

VGRageaholic

No worries. I'm still not clear though - is there any downside to selecting 'dynamic audio sync'? I've always done it in the past, and am still doing it.

OP
Azimer

Azimer

Emulator Developer
The only downside is if you unlock the speed limiter while this option is selected, it will limit the speed because of all the audio coming in for some games (MusyX games mostly). This may not always be the case so it is safe to continue using and will be renamed to something more appropriate in 0.70.

magmarock64

Hey thanks for this. Ever since PJ64 2.1 games have been more stable then ever but there was audio problems with Jabo's plugin.