What's new

Audio v0.60 Feedback

nintendo1889

Dang it. There's no edit button after a certain period of time, d'oh!

@Azimer, tried Bomberman 64 without fixed audio timing and fps limit, and it sounds very, very good. Now I don't notice any audio crackle at all. Impressive!

Here's a wave sample, and yes, now games have a VI/s of 60.

http://www.mediafire.com/?99juh89l8cl8z94

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Pj64 2.0, Zelda64 - fixed audio and sync disabled, Old Sync enabled
0.60wip2 = Popping during Zelda64 intro (and Ocarina playing in general)
0.56wip2 = No popping

I assume its occuring when the sound sample loops, so not enough buffering most likely.

Without old sync enabled, the popping is significantly worse on 0.60 compared to 0.56

VGRageaholic

Azimer could you take a look at the San Francisco Rush games? They've always had audio issues with all plugins. Thanks for picking this up again!

Zera

Just tested this with Project64 2.0, and it's working great with most games (Fixed Audio Timing and Sync to Audio turned off), although problematic games (such as Mystical Ninja) are still problematic. In fact, I'm having popping audio in those games with any plugin I try, even Jabo's. If anyone has any suggestion for these games, I'm all ears.

Also, there is a very noticeable delay in the audio in The World is not Enough (so far, I didn't get garbled speech though). Goldeneye has perfect audio with this plugin.

And both Zeldas are working perfectly here, I'm not getting the popping that was reported. Even old Save States from 1.6 are working fine.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Audio driver/device dependant it seems.

all of xfi's audio goes through a software enhancer, even with the enhancements off, so the buffer can be affected detrimentally compared to other drivers that output directly through WASAPI/UDA.

OP
Azimer

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Audio driver/device dependant it seems.

all of xfi's audio goes through a software enhancer, even with the enhancements off, so the buffer can be affected detrimentally compared to other drivers that output directly through WASAPI/UDA.

I am working on another solution using DirectSound as well as giving SDL a try. My intention this time to try segregating the audio playback from the faked audio emulation code. I am also working on some PJ 2.0 source solutions attempting to fix the "Fixed timing" solution zilmar provided. I also am working to build test cases on the N64 console to determine if I am emulating the audio interface correctly. It's quite a bit of work but I hope a real solution is found soon and we can start enjoying smooth audio and locked 60 VI/s gameplay one way or another. If all goes well, I will contribute my changes to PJ 2.0 and release a compatible plugin for the next release.

I am happy enough with the progress of v0.60 WIP 2 and what that doesn't emulate well v0.56 WIP 2 will suffice to take time out to do this. Keep providing feedback, especially on games that sound like garbage or provide no sound. Those will become my measuring stick for success. Thanks for all the feedback so far!

etking

The plugin seems to be unable to save it's settings in PJ64 1.7 and 2.1. After restarting the emulator everything is back to original default so it seems to be impossible to change settings permanently.

OP
Azimer

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Settings are NOT saving at this time. Sorry. I did this purposefully to prevent having registry keys all over the place before my thoughts and ideas are finalized. Perhaps in the next release I will temporarily do a small little config or INI type file to save your settings.

DETOMINE

Settings are NOT saving at this time. Sorry. I did this purposefully to prevent having registry keys all over the place before my thoughts and ideas are finalized. Perhaps in the next release I will temporarily do a small little config or INI type file to save your settings.
I had rather had an INI file than registry keys if possible ;)

weinerschnitzel

Surreal64 Nut
Hi Azimer! It's really exciting to see you working on your audio plugin again! MUSYX HLE sounds thrilling, older and slower platforms could make great use of this! Considering I would be replacing any registry entries with ini entries when you'd release your work, I second DETOMINE's request. :)

OP
Azimer

Azimer

Emulator Developer
weiner - Does your port use xaudio or SDL? Or perhaps I have your port confused with another.

weinerschnitzel

Surreal64 Nut
The xbox1 port of 0.55.1 uses directsound. If you're on the fence, essentially all consoles/mobile devices have libSDL ported, and, IMO, those devices are where an HLE solution is needed most. SDL > XAudio for me.

Zera

BTW, the audio randomly drops out on TWINE and doesn't return. I believe this happened on PJ64 1.6 with 0.56 too.