What's new

Ricevideo to Jabo direct3d Texture converter.

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
With the very recent release of Project64 2.0 comes the need to convert Rice video texture format to Jabo format.

We could go thru and rename all of our high resolution texture packs but there has to be a better way of playing our favorite Rice/Glide64 packs on the Jabo plugin.

I suggest a tool much like the Glide64 tool that allows the extraction of DAT's but in this case allows users to convert Rice format to Jabo format.

F

Fanatic 64

Why there would be a need to convert Rice texture packs to Jabo? Projec64 2.0 loads both Rice Video and Glide64 just fine.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
i doubt peope are going to want to use jabo 1.7 anyway, since it has so many regressions that were never fixed.

OP
NES_player4LIFE

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Why there would be a need to convert Rice texture packs to Jabo? Projec64 2.0 loads both Rice Video and Glide64 just fine.
I believe that the Jabo plugin is the only one to fix the real-time screen in MarioKart64 and when Games are played one The latest Jabo plugin they seem to look sharper and the 3D seems to be deeper.
Yes Ricevideo and Glide64 will, however for users that wish to not use those plugins their high res options are very limited for the time being.

i doubt people are going to want to use jabo 1.7 anyway, since it has so many regressions that were never fixed.
I have tested the 2.0 release and so far I have only seen a few issues in Paper Mario, Battletanx and other rare games.
Of the oldest games like MarioKart64 and Supermario64 I haven't seen any problems.

F

Fanatic 64

I believe that the Jabo plugin is the only one to fix the real-time screen in MarioKart64 and when Games are played one The latest Jabo plugin they seem to look sharper and the 3D seems to be deeper.
Yes Ricevideo and Glide64 will, however for users that wish to not use those plugins their high res options are very limited for the time being.

I have tested the 2.0 release and so far I have only seen a few issues in Paper Mario, Battletanx and other rare games.
Of the oldest games like MarioKart64 and Supermario64 I haven't seen any problems.
The screen in Mario Kart 64 can be fixed by turning on frame buffer emulation in Rice Video and Glide64.
Have you tried enabling FSAA in other plugins or your graphic card?
And what do you mean when you say "the 3D seems to be deeper"?

And by the way, Jabo is the only plugin that wasn't fixed to work properly on Intel graphics, even Rice Video fixed it in the Community Version.

OP
NES_player4LIFE

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
It seem that I have not calibrated my plugins properly.:paperbag:

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

We have an entire thread detailing regressions in the alpha section,

1.6.1 inheritted the same issues

between 56 and 57

Kirby64 broke
JFG wide screen config broke

and many more, though i can't be bothered draggin up the thread right now.

death--droid

Converting textures to jabo's plugins would be a step backwards, their is absolutely no advantage to using Jabo over Rice Video or Glid64.
In matter of fact its probably near on impossible to convert between the two formatting types without knowing how jabo was even calculating his CRC's.

microdev

In matter of fact its probably near on impossible to convert between the two formatting types without knowing how jabo was even calculating his CRC's.
So I guess that means the OS release does not contain the source code of the graphics plugin? In this case, a converter would not be feasible.

I think a converter Jabo ==> Rice might make sense. AFAIK there are some high quality texture packs that have exclusively been produced for the Jabo format. A converter would make them accessible to all hires graphic plugins (and also Linux users).

death--droid

So I guess that means the OS release does not contain the source code of the graphics plugin? In this case, a converter would not be feasible.
Noooope it doesn't it only includes the source code of the emulator and its RSP. From what I know from my talks with Zilmar, Jabo is extremely protective over his source code, in matter of fact not even Zilmar has seen it.

I think a converter Jabo ==> Rice might make sense. AFAIK there are some high quality texture packs that have exclusively been produced for the Jabo format. A converter would make them accessible to all hires graphic plugins (and also Linux users).
I must agree with you on that one.

microdev

The link disappeared way back from 2008 wasn't it called CrazyChris Tools or somesuch?
Do you still have a link to the corresponding threat?

*EDIT*: Never mind, found it

So what it really does is not converting one id (e.g. Jabo) to the corresponding id of the other format (e.g. Rice) but it dumps the texture in both formats and compares the file content.

My Idea was a little different:
  1. Change a plugin the way it is able to load textures of both formats (e.g. Jabo is already able to do so)
  2. Provide texture pack in the source format (Jabo or Rice) when loading a rom
  3. Play the game
  4. As soon as a texture would be displayed by the rom, the necessary ids would be available, which would allow the plugin to calculate the name of the corresponding hires-texture in both naming formats.
  5. If the plugin finds a hires-replacement in the source format, it redumps it under the target format. If this is not the case, the original (lores) texture will be dumped in the target format.
That way you would not have to dump all textures two times and avoid the need of comparing texture file contents.

Last edited:

etking

I think such a converter would be a great idea as Glide is still years behind compared to Jabo in terms of image quality, performance and game compatibility.

squall_leonhart

I think such a converter would be a great idea as Glide is still years behind compared to Jabo in terms of image quality, performance and game compatibility.

thats some strong stuff you're on.

F

Fanatic 64

Well, I think his opinion is based on the following:

Image Quality = That there isn't Anti-Aliasing in Glide64.
Performance = That Glide64 is CPU intensive (compared to other plugins) because of the Glide to OpenGL wrapper.
Compatibility = That he only plays games that don't break on either plugin.

And I have reasons to believe he uses a warez copy of Project64 1.7.

Well, I think his opinion is based on the following:

Image Quality = That there isn't Anti-Aliasing in Glide64.
Performance = That Glide64 is CPU intensive (compared to other plugins) because of the Glide to OpenGL wrapper.
Compatibility = That he only plays games that don't break on either plugin.

1. Yet :3
2. Done
3. Are there any?