What's new

Project64 2.0 is now available and open source!

Pellaeon

And yet it's released on April 1st also called "April fools day" and all of a sudden the emulator needs an installer? It's never, ever been that way in the past.

Remote

Great work zilmar, I remember your first official version and 2.0 is very nice!

death--droid

And yet it's released on April 1st also called "April fools day" and all of a sudden the emulator needs an installer? It's never, ever been that way in the past.
1.6 was released on April fools as well, and previous versions have required an installer before, if your that fussy about it compile yourself.

Remote

You expect it to be a april fools day prank, yet since it contains a reversal of your expectations, it is ironic.

Zuzma

You could install the application with sandboxie then recover the folder, that's what i did anyway. Works fine with out the installer.

Last edited:

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Thank-you for all of the hard work that you and your team have done over the last decade.

Released on the 8th anniversary of 1.6!!! :icecream:
Video of SM64 running.
[video]http://textures.emulation64.com:8080/data/uploads/videos/Capture_20130401.avi[/video]

Last edited:
F

Fanatic 64

What a cheap joke zilmar. I mean, like nobody wants to put their hands on Project64 2.0, specially for free. I'll give this joke a 3/10 for Originality.

Execution, on the other hand, is pretty good. You made a news for this, both on the PJ64 website and here, you made the PJ64 webpage look like a new version is released (although I hope you didn't remove access for users who have paid, I mean, that would piss them off), and you even uploaded a binary (which I'll guess is Project64 1.6, maybe with some resource editing). For Execution I'll give you a 9/10 (you didn't "update" the forum :p).

For Joke Believability, I'll give you a 7/10. You released it on April's Fool Day, although for less experienced people, supposing you didn't leave the "Project64 version 1.6" title, this could actually seem like the real deal. Some may even use it for a while believing it's actually 2.0, until either somebody tells them, the real PJ64 2.0 gets released, or they encounter a glitch, see the GameFAQ, and see it says "Issues marked with an asterisk appear fixed in current 1.7 beta!".

Overall, I'll give this joke a 8/10. Nice one zilmar, although we are not stupid (love the sarcasm everybody has been using here :D).

Have a nice day!

(Although, if this IS the real PJ64 2.0, then my RDB for 1.6, which was set to release in April 4th, would have to go to the trash can. I know this isn't 2.0, but just wanted to share my... slight concerns.)

Nekokabu

Great!

I created RDB that changed the rom name & added some roms.

:p

*not edit setting yet.

Attachments

• uordb_450beta.zip
    45.7 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
OP
Z

zilmar

Emulator Developer
What a cheap joke zilmar. I mean, like nobody wants to put their hands on Project64 2.0, specially for free. I'll give this joke a 3/10 for Originality.

It is the anniversary of 1.6, so yer not totally original.

Execution, on the other hand, is pretty good. You made a news for this, both on the PJ64 website and here, you made the PJ64 webpage look like a new version is released (although I hope you didn't remove access for users who have paid, I mean, that would piss them off), and you even uploaded a binary (which I'll guess is Project64 1.6, maybe with some resource editing). For Execution I'll give you a 9/10 (you didn't "update" the forum :p).

For Joke Believability, I'll give you a 7/10. You released it on April's Fool Day, although for less experienced people, supposing you didn't leave the "Project64 version 1.6" title, this could actually seem like the real deal. Some may even use it for a while believing it's actually 2.0, until either somebody tells them, the real PJ64 2.0 gets released, or they encounter a glitch, see the GameFAQ, and see it says "Issues marked with an asterisk appear fixed in current 1.7 beta!".

Overall, I'll give this joke a 8/10. Nice one zilmar, although we are not stupid (love the sarcasm everybody has been using here :D).

Have a nice day!

(Although, if this IS the real PJ64 2.0, then my RDB for 1.6, which was set to release in April 4th, would have to go to the trash can. I know this isn't 2.0, but just wanted to share my... slight concerns.)

Actually this is the real version ... Everything up to date that the beta users had, plus the source code of all the work I have done from 1.6 to now (actually the branch is missing a little bit 90% of the work from 1.6 to now).

I disable the ability for people to join the beta now, any new beta users is by invite only. All beta users still have access to what ever versions I put in to beta in the future.

olivieryuyu

thanks, I will go over the changes and add them to the rdb.

Zilmar,

His RDB is the best around. Many fixes through cheats allow to play additionnal games which has a core bug otherwise. There is nearly all new roms around as well :)

Btw any chance to have a better explanation around the new features of PJ 2.0.

I wonder sometimes why the VI are not up to 60 as it was before.

Keep the nice job, it is great as usual :)

F

Fanatic 64

It is the anniversary of 1.6, so yer not totally original.

Actually this is the real version ... Everything up to date that the beta users had, plus the source code of all the work I have done from 1.6 to now (actually the branch is missing a little bit 90% of the work from 1.6 to now).

I disable the ability for people to join the beta now, any new beta users is by invite only. All beta users still have access to what ever versions I put in to beta in the future.
Yeah, I actually figured that out while testing it. You're awesome :cool:

Anyway, my 1.6 RDB is to be due on the 4th, so then I'll be able to take a look at 2.0 (It would have helped if 2.0 included updated documentation, I mean, how I'm supposed to know what things like 32bit and AI Count do?).

OP
Z

zilmar

Emulator Developer
Zilmar,

His RDB is the best around. Many fixes through cheats allow to play additionnal games which has a core bug otherwise. There is nearly all new roms around as well :)

Btw any chance to have a better explanation around the new features of PJ 2.0.

I wonder sometimes why the VI are not up to 60 as it was before.

Keep the nice job, it is great as usual :)

By default games are on sync game to audio (instead of sync game to vi, 60 or 50). This is meant to make the sound better and get rid of the pops at times and smooth it all out. The only problem with this is a lot of games still need tweaking to get it just right.

A lot of work has been done to get timing more consistent as well for audio, the downside is that timing is off now in some games.

OP
Z

zilmar

Emulator Developer
Yeah, I actually figured that out while testing it. You're awesome :cool:

Anyway, my 1.6 RDB is to be due on the 4th, so then I'll be able to take a look at 2.0 (It would have helped if 2.0 included updated documentation, I mean, how I'm supposed to know what things like 32bit and AI Count do?).

I have changed to editing the rdb by hand (tho you can tweak the config to allow the editor to edit the rdb like it did in 1.6) .. with 1.6 when you changed a game setting it would modify the rdb, now it modifies a users config file. So I can always reset to the game setting back to the rdb setting really easily.

Removed all uses of the registry all settings go through a central settings system that uses the config file as said.

32bit is a performance optimization .. a lot of games never made use of the 64bit system so work if you treat the cpu as 32bit instead of 64bit ... so It is on by default.

if a game has problems turn it off as one of the first tests.

Ai Count is a value that was hard coded to 400 in 1.6, I have made it available and it is more important now with fixed audio timing and sync to audio. It will help speed up or slow down the audio. while it should be calculated .. to many other timings in the emu are not correct so to compensate I give the ability to tweak.

F

Fanatic 64

I have changed to editing the rdb by hand (tho you can tweak the config to allow the editor to edit the rdb like it did in 1.6) .. with 1.6 when you changed a game setting it would modify the rdb, now it modifies a users config file. So I can always reset to the game setting back to the rdb setting really easily.

Removed all uses of the registry all settings go through a central settings system that uses the config file as said.

32bit is a performance optimization .. a lot of games never made use of the 64bit system so work if you treat the cpu as 32bit instead of 64bit ... so It is on by default.

if a game has problems turn it off as one of the first tests.

Ai Count is a value that was hard coded to 400 in 1.6, I have made it available and it is more important now with fixed audio timing and sync to audio. It will help speed up or slow down the audio. while it should be calculated .. to many other timings in the emu are not correct so to compensate I give the ability to tweak.
I also edit the RDB manually (with Notepad++). I'll check those things out.

Don't you have any advice for improving smoothness in games trough? What I mean is, Zelda Ocarina of Time for example used to run at 19.8-20 DL/s, but in 2.0 it runs around 18 DL/s (audio doesn't pop or lag).

OP
Z

zilmar

Emulator Developer
I also edit the RDB manually (with Notepad++). I'll check those things out.

Don't you have any advice for improving smoothness in games trough? What I mean is, Zelda Ocarina of Time for example used to run at 19.8-20 DL/s, but in 2.0 it runs around 18 DL/s (audio doesn't pop or lag).

it also makes it alot easier for users to update the rdb since it does not over write the users changes.

you can change vi Refresh Rate and AI Count per bytes .. say for example you might try something like vi: 1500 ai: 200