What's new

Sound quality issues in 1.99.5

Kupolski

Hi! I am hving problems with audio quality, recently converting from Project64 to mupen. I am enjoying mupen64plus MUCH more, PJ64 really feels sluggish and hiccup-y in comparison. But overall, the only thing that's worse is the audio quality. I have recorded two samples from each emulator, so you can understand what I mean.

I am testing under windows and linux. So far, on both systems, there is the same problem. It sounds like the output is not dithered, and too much high frequency noise is present. The game is Majora's Mask, for those wondering. Please listen with headphones or good speakers.

In PJ64, the audio plugin used is Jabo's DirectSound 1.7.0.7.

Does the same happen to you, and if yes, Is there a way to get around the problem? Are there alternative audio plugins for mupen64plus?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• mupensound.mp3
    317.3 KB · Views: 167
  • pj64jabosound.mp3
    298.1 KB · Views: 145

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Kupolsk, you can set the RESAMPLE parameter to 2 in the [Audio-SDL] section of your config file to enable high-quality audio resampling. I tested this, and think it will improve the quality to match the jabo plugin. The high-quality resampler uses LIBSRC, and I'm not sure but I think this is only available in Linux.

This config parameter will change in the next release, because we now support libspeex as well as libsrc, and you can choose from many different resampling modes.

OP
K

Kupolski

Thanks for the response! Indeed, this was the only thing I did not double check under Linux. Now it comes very close to jabo's sound plugin. Sadly, as you already said, the option does not work under Windows yet. Would this be possible, as there are already ports of libsamplerate for windows?

Last edited: