What's new

Textures for Punchout SNES or Wii version.

gamerlamer

I want to start out by saying I'm guessing this is the right forum to post this.

I want to have the textures from the snes or wii version of Punchout. IDK if textures from a snes game would even be usable and I haven't heard of anyone actually extracting textures from a snes game. The Wii Punchout I'm sure can be extracted but I don't have Dolphin and I doubt my ancient computer could even handle Dolphin.

The reason I want the textures is so I can use them as a model/guideline to help me put those characters in another game. I could use drawings of the them but not many have the face or whole body facing straight ahead which is a great help for what I need to do.

Any help or pointing to other places to get help is appreciated.

Remote

There are only sprites in the snes version? You can probaly play with the disable layers function and screnshot bg layer, layer 1, layer 2, layer 3, et cetera.

Seems like a copyright infringement, and the big N usually shuts you down asap they see it, so perhaps you should learn to draw :p

OP
G

gamerlamer

I know a thing or two about copyright infringement. Legally, I can make anything I want for my own personal use. I could make an iphone, BMW, computer or anything I desire. I can't get any type of trademark, license, patent for what I make. That only makes sense of course because I'm not licensing this from N or whomever I choose to copy a product from.

This is an issue that I always found to be smirk worthy in the modding community. They mod a game then don't want anyone to touch they're work. I can understand the feeling but it's ridculous. The modder doesn't own the material. They don't own the rights to -the game, characters, the book and or movie they are based off of or who they were licensed from.

It comes down to this. The modder put it out there freely and they have NO right to say anything about what someone wants to do with it. They are giving something away for free that they don't have any legal rights to in the first place. Want to say it's their work etc? Well what do you call Nintendo, Sony or xbox or any game made or distributed by them or book and or movie the game is based on? Modders don't even use all there own work when making new textures. Did they take that photograph they're using to mod the game? Do they have rights to the new music in the game?

This isn't me being a jerk. I only want to explain to everyone what the reality is.

Thanks for the tip and I'll try that. If anyone can get the Punchout Wii textures I'd still appreciate it. I want to use the textrues as a guideline and maybe cut & paste then blend it into the textures for WWF No Mercy. There is a mod for a boxing ring and I thought it would be fun to play the game with Punchout characters. I may release it if I ever finish. Idk if anyone would really want it and my work isn't going to be superb. Of course, anyone is free to change it in any way they like.

Last edited:

Remote

Dude, if you waste your time copying a BMW you, probaly, end up with something far from the real product. :p

Like a SAAB ;)

OP
G

gamerlamer

That's true, not everything is worth is worth the trouble. If I tried to make my own car it would be a go kart with a lawnmower engine. That's the best I could do. I'd paint a big MARIO on the side.

Not sure if you quite understand what I mean by putting the Punchout characters in the game. Your response was I joke (I get that) but idk if you have the wrong idea about how it would look. The Punchout guys won't look exactly as they do in Punchout. They would have the No Mercy style bodies but their looks would be based on Punchout characters. Modders for this game have made all sorts of guys ranging from superheros, SF2, Mortal Kombat to updated wrestling rosters.

This would be easier with the new wrestling games as they have great built in create-a-character. I like this game though and while I could change the ring I couldn't change the rules. The boxing ring includes a cht file I believe that has the guys mostly punch and kick (maybe a few other moves) and there is a ten count I think, not sure.

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
That's true, not everything is worth is worth the trouble. If I tried to make my own car it would be a go kart with a lawnmower engine. That's the best I could do. I'd paint a big MARIO on the side.
:D

I for one think that retro-txturing games if done right look great (sights BFrancio's mariokart 16 bit) however this forum has long been against copying unmodified textures from one game say LOZ to use in another game say SM64.

Now we have allowed interchanging between different game versions, once again I sight BFrancio's mariokart project.
What however is not yet allowed is ripping data from a new wii game to be used in an old n64 game.

I would love to see a 16bit version of wii punchout, and think that the stile may look something like the Super Paper Mario game but pulling Glass Joe from Punchout and throwing him into the WWF just seems wrong on so many levels. :)
1. He's a boxer not a wrestler.
2. He has a hard enough life has a boxer now and he is not fit for the WWF.
3. There has to be a standard kept for texture hacking. We don't want or need every game looking like every other game.
4. If N catches you exporting W!! data... Well we wont go there.

OP
G

gamerlamer

Hey that's fine if you guys don't want to help. I think I solved my problem anyway.

As far as the game goes you know the characters won't look exactly like they do in Punchout right? The bodies and faces would have to be made to fit on the No Mercy bodies. Not only that but I may blend them with a hi-res skin to make the modded caw look better. Besides, Glass Joe will have boxing gloves and a four rope ring with a 10 count or just put it on KO only. I think only problem might be a few kicks.

The big N can't say anything because I have the game and I am doing this for my own personal use. I wasn't joking above when I said anyone can literally make anything even with same logos, designs, etc.(I can't trademark, patent it etc.obviously) and if for personal use there's nothing any person or company can do about it. Look it up.

I noticed in another thread about rights of pak developers or something along those lines "Can't change it if author doeesn't want it". I found this to be a curious line "There has never been a need for authors to license their work". Was that a general or not literal use of the word "license"? Because it's not possible for any modder to license their work because they don't own the rights to whatever game they modded. Not unless they pay the game company, creator of book, movie, character, etc. I don't see that happening. The whole issue of "ownership" among these communities is very askew.

This is your place though so you guys can do what you like. I don't make monster hybrid games this would be the first one. Like I said, I probably wouldn't let peolpe know where I keep my downloadable backup copy anyway. If I did I wouldn't do it here beause it's your rules.

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Easy, easy. I'm on your side, I just feel that creating "Hybrid" (I like that term) games is morally and ethically wrong, call me retro.
However it has been done before.
Sighting the super mario 64 kerby edition as reference. This project was developed using older gfx (snes textures) to replace the newer n64 textures.

OP
G

gamerlamer

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be rude. I may come on strong but I like to make my points clear is all. I'm not a fan of combining games either really just an idea I had. I think making a 16 bit version of Punchout with the Wii version textures would be neat. Super Mario Kart Kerby edition sounds cool is that here on the forum?

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Okay, no need to be sorry you didn't insult us. We only want to make sure that we don't cross the line when it comes to IP.
Ripping next gen textures for the use in pre-gen games send red flags up.
I my self have wanted to rip Mario Kart wii textures for my n64 projects but have not as it is wrong, I have however used these textures for my own personal use as I do own both games.
But if I sent this data to someone I would be in dangerous water as it just be came piracy.
Those are just my thoughts and we don't have any rules against impressionism, save one that doesn't apply to this case.

Here is a link to super kirby 64.