EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is the ratio for an actual SNES screen on TV?

Thanks to all ppl working on the emulator. It gives me chance to recall my childhood memories. And I like to imitate as close to the actual TV screen as possible. I have been using Snes9x with a screen ratio of 8:7, but then I saw from some pics (e.g. the boxart) that the actual TV screen looks wider. I recently tried an adaption of Snes9x, the XE adaption, and found that I can choose a ratio of x1.125 which gives a similar screen as the boxart pic
    So what is the actual ratio? I can't remember that clearly the screen ratio I have played with years ago

16-bit Corpse | Moderator Agozer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The internal aspect ratio of the SNES is 8:7. What the console actually outputs is 4:3. What you most likely see on those box shots is analog stretching, which was in itself tied to the analog TV sets of old.
    Last edited by Agozer; January 31st, 2013 at 17:22.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The "correct" (aka without stretching/distorsion) aspect ratio for SNES games is 8:7. TVs normally stretch it to 4:3, but that distorts the picture (squares became rectangles etc).

And by the boxart you mean this?:

Because the boxart's aspect ratio has nothing to do with the actual in-game aspect ratio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    @Fanatic 64: I can't say for sure, but I suspect the OP was probably referring to the screenshots or pictures of the game on TVs, which are found on some games' boxes.

The standard AR for TVs back when the SNES was current was 4:3, so devs would've designed their games with that AR in mind.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I see. Never think that what the actual TV shows is a distorted screen. Now I can well enjoy the emulator with correct ratio of 8:7. Thx!
    To better illustrate my question, I should have posted some pics but the message "Post denied." always appears when I tried to insert an image url
    Last edited by Orotawuk; February 4th, 2013 at 03:06.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    PAL games were stretched in a similar manner, but most had black bars at the top and bottom, meaning the actual ratio was wider than 4:3. Some games added extra pixels at the top and bottom though to compensate, like Super Mario All Stars.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How do you run games in 8:7? Only options I seem to get out of bsnes (I use v073) is TV aspect (4:3) or stretch (a horrid looking 16:9). I much rather run in 8:7 for widescreen display.

16-bit Corpse | Moderator Agozer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You can't. The SNES outputs 4:3, and that is what you should be using.

• Advertising

advertising
      EmuTalk.net
      has no influence
      on the ads that
      are displayed

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodimus Primal View Post
    How do you run games in 8:7? Only options I seem to get out of bsnes (I use v073) is TV aspect (4:3) or stretch (a horrid looking 16:9). I much rather run in 8:7 for widescreen display.
    I'm using Snes9x and there are two options for aspect ratio i.e. 8:7 and 4:3
    Quote Originally Posted by Agozer View Post
    I found that many game designers were actually creating 8:7 screens for SNES games. A good example is A Link to the Past. Link's sprite on the GBA ver is exactly the same as the one on SNES with 8:7 AR. So I will just stick to 8:7 AR for emulation
    Last edited by NES_player4LIFE; December 6th, 2013 at 22:46.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agozer View Post
    You are right. I've changed my mind and now I always stick to 4:3, though sometimes game designers may intend to make graphics in 8:7 (like the case of morph ball for Metroid on SNES). Blargg's NTSC filter seems best for me, and I am also trying the shaders on Snes9x 1.53