What's new

How do I use the Mac Trackpad as a controller on Mupen64Plus?

asiga

Hi,

I'm on a Mac laptop with OSX 10.6.8. I've downloaded the latest wxMupen64Plus 0.3, which includes Mupen64Plus 1.99.5, and I'm having a hard time getting the Trackpad to work. No matter what settings I choose in the input tab, when starting a game it always complains "no controllers/joysticks found". Anyway, the keyboard can be used, but the trackpad doesn't. How can I avoid that error message? How can I get the trackpad to work?

As a side comment, I'd wish to have some small OSD display of the trackpad position relative to its zero position: this way, I'd know how I'm using the joystick... the N64 had analog joysticks, and I believe they could be greatly emulated with the trackpad.

npepinpe

The trackpad can be used as a mouse; I've never used wxMupen64Plus, so I don't know how it manages the configuration files, but you can manually edit the configuration file (~/.config/mupen64plus/mupen64plus.cfg) to use the mouse as the analog stick or just use its buttons.

If you want to use the mouse as the analog stick, find the section [Input-SDL-Control1]. Under that header, there is a setting called "mouse", which is usually set to false. Just set it to True, and you will be able to use the mouse as an analog stick. From the wiki:

You can enable mouse control of the analog stick by setting the "mouse" parameter to True in your input config section. There is a parameter to control the sensitivity of the mouse movement (called "MouseSensitivity"). The default value for MouseSensitivity is "2.00,2.00". You can also bind mouse buttons to the N64 controller buttons by adding a clause to the button binding string. For example: Start = "button(9) mouse(0)" will bind the N64 controller Start button to button 9 on the joystick and button 0 on the mouse.

When the mouse is enabled, Mupen64Plus will "grab" the mouse, so you will not see the pointer, even when running in windowed mode. To toggle the mouse grab while playing a game, press the Left Control and Left Alt keys together.

As for using things that require multi-touch stuff, well usually 1.99.5 is compiled with libsdl 1.2.15, which doesn't support multitouch events.