What's new

Yoshi Story

talker

Yeah so I'm having trouble with Yoshi Story.
If you take a look at the video, you'll see what kind of trouble i'm having.

I'm playing this on my old rig with an AMD Athlon dualcore 2,4ghz +5000 and Ati Radeon HD 4600 series gpu.

1964 v1 with 1964video as default video plugin. I also tried glide64.

OP
talker

talker

I'll give that a try later today and tell you.

EDIT:
It still occurs. I also attached a screenshot from window mode.

Attachments

• Skjermbilde.PNG
    Skjermbilde.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 156
Last edited:
OP
talker

talker

Dosent seem like an core issue with 1964. I tried with PJ64 aswell with jabos updated video plugins and the error still occurred.
Maybe I'll should check for some updates for my videocard?

Edit:
As I thought there was no updates for the videocard.

Last edited:

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
:D
can you upload a quick save file of the problem so that i can load it to my system?

Edit: I have played the level and it's not a rom issue.
what version of glide did you use? I used the finale with no issues.

Last edited:
OP
talker

talker

I tried the latest one at google code. Think it was 'May 7 Final' or something.
I will be able to upload a copy of my save tomorrow sometime.

Clements

The lava and water surface problem is a known issue with Jabo's plugin so not much can be done there, and I don't know if Rice's Video can be tweaked to possibly fix that issue.

As far as I know, Glide64 is the best plugin to use with the game so I would concentrate on trying that and tweaking settings, but you may need to enable 'Read every frame (slow)' if you want all the effects emulated as good as they can be, like the page turning effect (possibly at the expense of speed).

If it seems that Glide64 is not working in other games besides Yoshi's Story, then it may be a driver bug. You could test Ocarina of Time's pause screen (Link's picture) to see if everything is working right before changing drivers.

OP
talker

talker

I know you checked your video drivers but did you check them with the AMD downloadable checker ?
Didn't check with the checker. Just used AMD's controlpanel to check for updates and compared the version number of the driver (which I think was 12.6)

The lava and water surface problem is a known issue with Jabo's plugin so not much can be done there, and I don't know if Rice's Video can be tweaked to possibly fix that issue.

As far as I know, Glide64 is the best plugin to use with the game so I would concentrate on trying that and tweaking settings, but you may need to enable 'Read every frame (slow)' if you want all the effects emulated as good as they can be, like the page turning effect (possibly at the expense of speed).

If it seems that Glide64 is not working in other games besides Yoshi's Story, then it may be a driver bug. You could test Ocarina of Time's pause screen (Link's picture) to see if everything is working right before changing drivers.

So glide64 is the one I should use, right? I'll check with Zelda and see if Link is complete in the subscreen.

Edit:
So after some testing I have some results. Links looks normal in the subscreen and the water effect is somehow working, but not correctly. I'll attach some screens.
I've also uploaded a save of Yoshi with a save state.
AMD's checker didn't find anything either.

Attachments

• zelda_oot_subscreen01.png
    zelda_oot_subscreen01.png
    846.3 KB · Views: 124
  • zelda_oot_subscreen02.png
    zelda_oot_subscreen02.png
    495.6 KB · Views: 137
  • glide64_read every frame.png
    glide64_read every frame.png
    644.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Save.rar
    2.1 MB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Clements

Cool, thanks for the save. I have just tried it with Glide64 and I get exactly what you see in your last screenshot, which is not quite right to the real thing as you say. I don't think there is anything wrong with your drivers or ROM etc.

Read every frame in Glide64 seems to partially fix the issue, but causes a big slowdown on my laptop, which has DX9 class ATI graphics. Without the setting enabled in Glide64, you get the same situation with Jabo's plugin. My guess is that this effect is probably a CPU based framebuffer effect similar to the intro of Bomberman 64. So, I'd say that you have come across a currently unsolvable issue.

The Zelda shot proves that the standard framebuffer setting (which works differently to Read every frame) is working with your graphics card so you have no issues there.

Last edited: