Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Rice Video Community version

Name: RiceVideo
    Type: N64 Emulator video plugin (under community development)
    Licence: GPL 2.0
    Targeted: All Windows based users.
    Supported Emulators: All windows-based emulators with plugin support (1964, Project64, Mupen64plus)
    Requirements: MS C++ 2013 x86 Re-distributable Package (Link here http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/downl....aspx?id=40784)

Latest Download: http://adf.ly/vdbd1 (Version 0.4.4)
    Release Date: 29/12/2014

Source Code: GitHub GIT

Background:
    1964Video is based on the latest version of the Rice-plugin, meaning the version 6.1.4, which included some changes of Mudlord.
    Afterwards the community involvement started as Gitech requested some improvements for supporting the development of his
    Castlevania-LOD hires pack. Subsequently the plugin changed once again it's name to "Aristotle's Mudlord & Rice Video".

Well, as you might have already guessed, adding the name of each author to the plugin name might become a little unhandy by
    the time. This latest attempt is based off all the changes currently made to 1964Video, but has been renamed back to RiceVideo to stop the confusion about 1964Video being specifically for 1964

Current situation:
    The development of the plugin has now moved from a one-man-show towards a (hopefully) community-driven approach. That way, we hope getting more people involved into actual development and to foster the progress of this great plugin, which - even if not yet being the most advanced one - was the initial plugin pushing N64 emulation to the next level by introducing hires texture support (Rice).

The initial version of the plugin (r30, 10/10/2009) also contains some fixes, that have been applied by the folks of Mupen64plus, a multi platform N64 emulator, to the linux version of the Rice plugin (thank you guys!). Furthermore, some ideas have been taken from Glide64, which is the reference video plugin for 64 emulation atm (great work folks!).

Aim:
    The general target is of course the improvement of the existing plugin. As usually everyone just has a limited amount of time, he/she is able to dedicate to such leisure activities, additional developers are needed. Thus any interested dev is warmly invited to create a fork.

Finally, it's of course all about having fun!

This thread is meant for publishing the latest versions of the plugin, sharing information about development progress, obstacles, ideas to the community and for providing feedback regarding the releases towards the developers.

This thread is not meant for nagging about "when do you release" or "when do you support". I guess feature requests should be allowed but don't expect a guarantee for implementation. If you really badly want it, it's community driven - you are free to do it yourself. Please always keep in mind, if the devs lose the fun and therefore interest, you'll lose the contribution.
    Last edited by death--droid; December 29th, 2014 at 00:56.
    If you appreciate any of my work, please consider donating
    Donate via paypal

The Great Gunblade Wielder squall_leonhart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    would be more fun to port Glide64 to Direct3D
    since ricevideo is a royal pain to work with anyway >.>

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    hehe, that might actually turn out to be a fairly large project actually, I could try it if enough people are interested.
    RiceVideo is a bit of a pain at times, for some odd reason I rather like it over Glide, never been really sure why to be honest
    Donate via paypal

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Fixed up going from windowed to fullscreen, stopped the view from becoming extremely jittery by setting the viewport once it has been toggled.

EDIT:
    Fixed up anti aliasing

EDIT2: Ill post a new build once ive sorted out the odd problems with the zBias
    Last edited by death--droid; October 10th, 2012 at 16:42.
    Donate via paypal

Texture Pack Invader NES_player4LIFE's Avatar
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I'm so glad to see work being done on the video plugin side of emulation.
    -NES
    We are in the process of archiving all qualifying texture packs!
    Contact me via PM to have your N64 texture pack hosted on Emulation64.com!
    Having a hard time loading Large packs? Be sure to patch your emulator.
    Can't load .DAT or .HTC archives? Look no further then this shiny Tutorial, Android users may use this Tutorial.

Spoiler:

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by squall_leonhart View Post
    would be more fun to port Glide64 to Direct3D
    since ricevideo is a royal pain to work with anyway >.>
    While Glide64 is a really good (but slow) video plugin, I do not think you can do much with it. The whole wrapper thing is really bad if you ask me.
    Porting the voodoo code to directx code may not be easy and writing an other wrapper is well, not a good idea.

As a player, that's how I see the different video plugins :
    -jabo : very good but closed source and unmaintained
    -glide : very good, open source but won't probably get better (and unmaintained)
    -rice : not so good, open source and maintained, will probably get better (also receive some love from 1964/mupen64 plus, ...)
    -z64gl : good, open source, unmaintained
    -others : ?

So I believe that the video plugins with the more potential are z64 and rice, but I'm not a developer, so I am probably wrong .

edit : also n64oid uses rice and it's awesome :p
    Last edited by DETOMINE; October 10th, 2012 at 17:08.

The Great Gunblade Wielder squall_leonhart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    there would be no wrapper used if it was ported to d3d

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    @NES_player4LIFE, Hopefully I'm able to make some good solid progress this time instead of ending up breaking 3/4's of the things XD

@DENTOMINE, the better way to actually aproach a port of Glide64 would be to actually just completely do without the wrapper XD

Rice's code is probably the most understandable out of all of them, while far being from the cleanest due to it having so many things to help compatibility with old graphics cards etc. Its probably the one of taken the most liking to code wise.

Z64 is a hell of a lot more complex, and requires someone with a good knowledge of how the RDP and RSP works which is one of the main problems with LLE overall though.
    Donate via paypal

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by death--droid View Post
    @DETOMINE, the better way to actually aproach a port of Glide64 would be to actually just completely do without the wrapper XD
    As I said, it's probably tricky to port voodoo code to directx code (and I was not speaking of wrapper here :p).

Quote Originally Posted by death--droid View Post
    Rice's code is probably the most understandable out of all of them, while far being from the cleanest due to it having so many things to help compatibility with old graphics cards etc. Its probably the one of taken the most liking to code wise. Z64 is a hell of a lot more complex, and requires someone with a good knowledge of how the RDP and RSP works which is one of the main problems with LLE overall though.
    Maybe you could, if you want, if you are ok with it, drop the compatibility with old cards.
    I know it may sound terribly selfish but if it makes the code nicer (and easier to add functionality...)...

Anyway it's really good to see an actively developed video plugin. Let's hope it will become the best of all :p

PS : I still have the secret hope of seeing Mario Tennis 64 working well (and fast), but as far as I understand, it has framebuffer issues with every plugin I tested (well it works with Dolphin and I still don't understand why)

PS2 : It's probably a stupid idea, but do you think someone could look at the way dolphin handles the n64 emulation? I mean even if it's crashy and slow, it's quite good.
    Last edited by DETOMINE; October 10th, 2012 at 17:36.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    As I said, it's probably tricky to port voodoo code to directx code (and I was not speaking of wrapper here :p).
    Ive never done it myself so I cant make a comment, I can't really see it being anymore complex then porting OpenGL to directX

Maybe you could, if you want, if you are ok with it, drop the compatibility with old cards.
    that's what I have being doing ever so slowly XD

Fark its almost 3 AM here, I should really be off, got to get up in like 4 hours.

And on a side note, Dolphin doesn't handle n64 emulation in any way, if it does work it would be due to the "virtual console" or whatever the feature is called that the Wii has to play some older games.
    Donate via paypal

Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast