What's new

Rice Video Community version

death--droid

Name: RiceVideo
Type: N64 Emulator video plugin (under community development)
Licence: GPL 2.0
Targeted: All Windows based users.
Supported Emulators: All windows-based emulators with plugin support (1964, Project64, Mupen64plus)
Requirements: MS C++ 2013 x86 Re-distributable Package (Link here http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=40784)

Latest Download: http://adf.ly/vdbd1 (Version 0.4.4)
Release Date: 29/12/2014

Source Code: GitHub GIT

Background:
1964Video is based on the latest version of the Rice-plugin, meaning the version 6.1.4, which included some changes of Mudlord.
Afterwards the community involvement started as Gitech requested some improvements for supporting the development of his
Castlevania-LOD hires pack. Subsequently the plugin changed once again it's name to "Aristotle's Mudlord & Rice Video".

Well, as you might have already guessed, adding the name of each author to the plugin name might become a little unhandy by
the time. This latest attempt is based off all the changes currently made to 1964Video, but has been renamed back to RiceVideo to stop the confusion about 1964Video being specifically for 1964

Current situation:
The development of the plugin has now moved from a one-man-show towards a (hopefully) community-driven approach. That way, we hope getting more people involved into actual development and to foster the progress of this great plugin, which - even if not yet being the most advanced one - was the initial plugin pushing N64 emulation to the next level by introducing hires texture support (Rice).

The initial version of the plugin (r30, 10/10/2009) also contains some fixes, that have been applied by the folks of Mupen64plus, a multi platform N64 emulator, to the linux version of the Rice plugin (thank you guys!). Furthermore, some ideas have been taken from Glide64, which is the reference video plugin for 64 emulation atm (great work folks!).

Aim:
The general target is of course the improvement of the existing plugin. As usually everyone just has a limited amount of time, he/she is able to dedicate to such leisure activities, additional developers are needed. Thus any interested dev is warmly invited to create a fork.

Finally, it's of course all about having fun!

This thread is meant for publishing the latest versions of the plugin, sharing information about development progress, obstacles, ideas to the community and for providing feedback regarding the releases towards the developers.

This thread is not meant for nagging about "when do you release" or "when do you support". I guess feature requests should be allowed but don't expect a guarantee for implementation. If you really badly want it, it's community driven - you are free to do it yourself. Please always keep in mind, if the devs lose the fun and therefore interest, you'll lose the contribution.

Last edited:
OP
death--droid

death--droid

hehe, that might actually turn out to be a fairly large project actually, I could try it if enough people are interested.
RiceVideo is a bit of a pain at times, for some odd reason I rather like it over Glide, never been really sure why to be honest

OP
death--droid

death--droid

Fixed up going from windowed to fullscreen, stopped the view from becoming extremely jittery by setting the viewport once it has been toggled.

EDIT:
Fixed up anti aliasing

EDIT2: Ill post a new build once ive sorted out the odd problems with the zBias

Last edited:

DETOMINE

would be more fun to port Glide64 to Direct3D :D
since ricevideo is a royal pain to work with anyway >.>
While Glide64 is a really good (but slow) video plugin, I do not think you can do much with it. The whole wrapper thing is really bad if you ask me.
Porting the voodoo code to directx code may not be easy :unsure: and writing an other wrapper is well, not a good idea.

As a player, that's how I see the different video plugins :
-jabo : very good but closed source and unmaintained
-glide : very good, open source but won't probably get better (and unmaintained)
-rice : not so good, open source and maintained, will probably get better (also receive some love from 1964/mupen64 plus, ...)
-z64gl : good, open source, unmaintained
-others : ?

So I believe that the video plugins with the more potential are z64 and rice, but I'm not a developer, so I am probably wrong :D.

edit : also n64oid uses rice and it's awesome :p

Last edited:
OP
death--droid

death--droid

@NES_player4LIFE, Hopefully I'm able to make some good solid progress this time instead of ending up breaking 3/4's of the things XD

@DENTOMINE, the better way to actually aproach a port of Glide64 would be to actually just completely do without the wrapper XD

Rice's code is probably the most understandable out of all of them, while far being from the cleanest due to it having so many things to help compatibility with old graphics cards etc. Its probably the one of taken the most liking to code wise.

Z64 is a hell of a lot more complex, and requires someone with a good knowledge of how the RDP and RSP works which is one of the main problems with LLE overall though.

DETOMINE

@DETOMINE, the better way to actually aproach a port of Glide64 would be to actually just completely do without the wrapper XD
As I said, it's probably tricky to port voodoo code to directx code (and I was not speaking of wrapper here :p).

Rice's code is probably the most understandable out of all of them, while far being from the cleanest due to it having so many things to help compatibility with old graphics cards etc. Its probably the one of taken the most liking to code wise. Z64 is a hell of a lot more complex, and requires someone with a good knowledge of how the RDP and RSP works which is one of the main problems with LLE overall though.
Maybe you could, if you want, if you are ok with it, drop the compatibility with old cards.
I know it may sound terribly selfish but if it makes the code nicer (and easier to add functionality...)...

Anyway it's really good to see an actively developed video plugin. Let's hope it will become the best of all :p

PS : I still have the secret hope of seeing Mario Tennis 64 working well (and fast), but as far as I understand, it has framebuffer issues with every plugin I tested (well it works with Dolphin and I still don't understand why)

PS2 : It's probably a stupid idea, but do you think someone could look at the way dolphin handles the n64 emulation? I mean even if it's crashy and slow, it's quite good.

Last edited:
OP
death--droid

death--droid

As I said, it's probably tricky to port voodoo code to directx code (and I was not speaking of wrapper here :p).
Ive never done it myself so I cant make a comment, I can't really see it being anymore complex then porting OpenGL to directX

Maybe you could, if you want, if you are ok with it, drop the compatibility with old cards.
:p that's what I have being doing ever so slowly XD

Fark its almost 3 AM here, I should really be off, got to get up in like 4 hours.

And on a side note, Dolphin doesn't handle n64 emulation in any way, if it does work it would be due to the "virtual console" or whatever the feature is called that the Wii has to play some older games.

weinerschnitzel

Surreal64 Nut
There are a lot of people that would be interested in a Glide64 Direct3D port. I think ports of Glide64 in Direct3D and OpenGL would be the best way to get things going with video plugin work. The Glide API seemed like it became a deterrent for other people to work on it. Or it could be the whole reversing RSP ucodes bit. :p A more recent API would attract more devs though.

The latest changes for Rice seem to have gotten SOTE working well on the XBOX. I'm giving the XBOX side an overhaul. I don't know who wrote the original XBOX code for Rice 6, and the most stable XBOX port is that of Rice 5.60. Quite a lot has changed since then. I've got some XBOX specific changes that were excluded from the XBOX port of Rice 6, and some vertex handling changes too. Lots to sort through. :crazy:

DETOMINE

And on a side note, Dolphin doesn't handle n64 emulation in any way, if it does work it would be due to the "virtual console" or whatever the feature is called that the Wii has to play some older games.
I am confused now :unsure:. There must be a N64 emulator (even if it is for the wii) somewhere don't you think?
Oh wait, is it in the wad file? So the wad file is the rom and the n64 emulator?

edit : I am way off topic sorry about that :s

Last edited:
F

Fanatic 64

Well, I've never dared to ask this but, now that you are fixing and improving the plugin, what about, well... fixing texturing with Intel HD Graphics? (I think it has to do with "SetViewPoint failed", but I don't know...). Glide64 (and the OpenGL option of Rice, through it is very buggy) work fine.

AND before you tell me "Get a real video card", I purchased this laptop because it wasn't my plan to play cutting-edge games at top detail, but to both being able to work fine and play a couple of classics of mine (like NFS: MW (2005) and AoE 2), and likely Nintendo 64 games. UNFORTUNATELY I didn't know I would get this glitch (I mean, it isn't like one of the first Intel GMA chips, I supposed it would be decent enough to play a N64 emulator just fine (it can even run NFSC (2006) at top detail)).

By the way, about the Dolphin thing, Dolphin does not contain a N64 emulator, but rather it emulates a emulator created by Nintendo itself (basically a emulator inside a emulator) for the Virtual Console.

Last edited:
OP
death--droid

death--droid

Well, I've never dared to ask this but, now that you are fixing and improving the plugin, what about, well... fixing texturing with Intel HD Graphics? (I think it has to do with "SetViewPoint failed", but I don't know...). Glide64 (and the OpenGL option of Rice, through it is very buggy) work fine.
I would give it a shot, but I don't have any access to a computer using Intel HD Graphics so attempting to fix it would prove a lengthy process, however I shall look into it tonight and see if theres anything that sticks out. After all anti aliasing was broken by the simple setting of a flag that cant be used when anti aliasing is enabled

OP
death--droid

death--droid

On another not, im considering removing some of the texture filters that we have available (Removal of LQ2X, LQ2xS. Sharpen, Sharpen more, 2x)

OP
death--droid

death--droid

Cleaner code, and a lot less more things for problems to stem from(Another reason why I've forced some features to now always be on), there already been removed in my latest GIT commit. And there's no real point in leaving stuff in that is probably barely used. HQ2X and HQ4X are the more popular used ones in most cases.

Last edited:
F

Fanatic 64

I can do testing with Intel HD Graphics. You can send me the "fixed" builds and I can check if they work.

Also for example, glN64 and Direct64 display textures fine. You can check the source code and see if there's something interesting.

By the way, I think you could scrap the X2, LQ2X, LQ2xS, Sharpen and Sharpen More filters. Most people use the 2xSaI, HQ2X and HQ4X filters (I like 2xSaI).

Last edited:
OP
death--droid

death--droid

I can do testing with Intel HD Graphics. You can send me the "fixed" builds and I can check if they work.

Also for example, glN64 and Direct64 display textures fine. You can check the source code and see if there's something interesting.

By the way, I think you could scrap the X2, LQ2X, LQ2xS, Sharpen and Sharpen More filters. Most people use the 2xSaI, HQ2X and HQ4X filters (I like 2xSaI).

Its moe just for debugging it would be nice to have them for, can you upload some screenshots of whats going wrong, would help point me in the right direction.
Yeah thats what I was thinking, and have now removed them in my latest push to the github repo. I might upload a test build later tonight with what I've done, people just have to ignore the tad messy UI since ive removed things without reordering it at the moment.