What's new

Rice Video Community version

OP
death--droid

death--droid

Well then, where forcing near-neighbour interpolation for most textures when that is enabled XD, unless however ansio is enabled which, if i remember right over rules that.

F

Fanatic 64

Well then, where forcing near-neighbour interpolation for most textures when that is enabled XD, unless however ansio is enabled which, if i remember right over rules that.

...I didn't understand that.

OP
death--droid

death--droid

Since you have "N64 Default Texture Filter" enabled, in RiceVideo we currently force the "near-neighbour interpolation filter". Which is why the text and hud elements appear so sharp since "near-neighbour interpolation" doesn't do any antialiasing to the textures.

F

Fanatic 64

Since you have "N64 Default Texture Filter" enabled, in RiceVideo we currently force the "near-neighbour interpolation filter". Which is why the text and hud elements appear so sharp since "near-neighbour interpolation" doesn't do any antialiasing to the textures.

Shouldn't you just use Nearest Neighbor filtering instead? (and use bilinear filtering when "Force Linear Filter" is enabled).

OP
death--droid

death--droid

That's exactly what where doing at the moment Fanatic64... well actually thats not exactly true, where switching between nearest neighbor and linear and not forcing either when set to "Default". From what I guess is what Rice believed to be the proper handling of it.

EDIT: the whole way all the filtering works probably needs to be re-written and cleaned up, because you are correct in that its producing an incorrect result :\

EDIT2: Looking through some of the initialization code and its a complete mess, going to clean and fix that up before i look into texture filtering more

Last edited:
OP
death--droid

death--droid

No not really at the moment, been busy, and trying to work out better ways to do some of the stuff where doing at startup

OP
death--droid

death--droid

Haven't really done much work on it lately sorry, been a tad busy still XD, however I do need a newer version since ive been meddling around with the way were initialising directX etc.. etc...

Latest download : http://adf.ly/EnzfU

F

Fanatic 64

Wow, this thing is ancient!

That was a typo.

By the way, now that I'm on this thread, I don't know if you are working anymore, but I have noted an issue with recent versions of this plugin: It's very prone to crash. Perfect Dark is unplayable since it crashes almost everywhere, and other games also tend to crash, mainly when going to start gameplay. Texture filters make the plugin even more prone to crash. The crashes are usually either APPCRASH - RiceVideo.dll, BEX - RiceVideo.dll or APPCRASH - StackHash ##X.

OP
death--droid

death--droid

haha whoooops, bad typo was bad XD

Ahhhh, is it just crashing randomly?, or at particular points in the game??

F

Fanatic 64

haha whoooops, bad typo was bad XDAhhhh, is it just crashing randomly?, or at particular points in the game??
It crashes mainly at (multiple) specific points in the game. For example in a couple of racing games the plugin crashes when I press A to start the race. Also in Perfect Dark the game always hangs when it is supposed to show the file select menu (this can be workaround by using another plugin, making a savestate and reloading, but then the plugin is also very likely to crash at some random point early in the gameplay). I also remember a game that crashes when going to demo mode after not pressing START.

Last edited:
OP
death--droid

death--droid

" Also in Perfect Dark the game always hangs when it is supposed to show the file select menu"
Weird just testing the game now, launched the first mission and its running fine so far.

What emulator are you using on that note actually??, some of these problems could be more emulator specific than actual problem with the plugin. Im slowly hacking away at the init functions of Rice Video and will be progressing onto the way we handle textures stuff

F

Fanatic 64

" Also in Perfect Dark the game always hangs when it is supposed to show the file select menu"
Weird just testing the game now, launched the first mission and its running fine so far.

I just tried the game now and it runs fine, no hangs at all. Possibly it was a problem with older versions of the plugin and I didn't bother to check again. Could also be a configuration issue since I've been working on a RDB for PJ64 and I use it as my default for testing.

And it's great to hear there's progress with the plugin, I've been messing a bit the ini since it seems some things were configured in a rather completely... inaccurate way.

OP
death--droid

death--droid

Hmmmmm weird :\, well let me know on any other problems you come across as you play games, hoping to improve everything greatly.
Hmm yeah, the configuration for Rice Video for games are terrible/non existent, so if you make improvements, just let me know.

F

Fanatic 64

Guess what, I decided to get a copy of the source code and try to compile it with Visual Studio 2010 (I have it, but I don't know how to code. Don't ask why). I had to change the .sln Format Version from 12.0 to 11.0 and download the DirectX SDK, but it compiled successfully. Then I tried uninstalling the Visual Studio 2012 Redistributable Package (both x86 and x64) and selecting the plugin in Project64 and, surprise, it worked! I played a bit of Super Mario 64 (love to 100% that game over and over and over again) and it runs perfectly. Maybe you should try uninstalling everything VS2012-releated and making sure everything is configured for VS2010.

OP
death--droid

death--droid

Hmmmmm, its weird since my 2012 is actually set to compile using visual studio's 2010 toolchain, could you please email me all the project files from yours :\ going to try and fix this, I can fall back to 2010 if I need to, but would rather not have to install more stuff onto my computer at this stage.

F

Fanatic 64

http://www.mediafire.com/?r0ce93p0yg2v19s that's the folder with all the source and compilation stuff (including my compiled RiceVideo.dll), don't know if that's what you wanted. I decided to upload it since Yahoo! is pretty bad with large adjunt files...

And I think VS2012 is probably doing something that requires it's respective runtime. I understand that you don't want to (un)install stuff on your computer, mine is a bloated mess :S going to restore it soon...

Last edited:
OP
death--droid

death--droid

Well after all that i said XD, turns out I already have visual studio 2010 installed so ill use that to compile it from now on
EDIT:
Pushed some more changes, not really much though.

Last edited: