What's new

Rice Video Community version

F

Fanatic 64

Update the plugin to conform with the latest video plugin specifications for Project64
Uh, but wouldn't that make it incompatible with any emulators other than Project64 1.7+? Also as far as I know, the new plugin specs were only created to prevent the new Jabo plugins from being redistributed and used in other emulators, they do not contain any real improvements over the previous ones.

Otherwise, it sounds good. Glad to see progress!

OP
death--droid

death--droid

New version available, version 0.2.2
Download - http://adf.ly/UZh5J
https://github.com/death-droid/Rice-Video/commits/daedulus-new-fixes-merge (Changelog = All commits since, Jun 03, 2013)

Uh, but wouldn't that make it incompatible with any emulators other than Project64 1.7+? Also as far as I know, the new plugin specs were only created to prevent the new Jabo plugins from being redistributed and used in other emulators, they do not contain any real improvements over the previous ones.
Nah the specs are fairly backwards compatible, the only main difference is that there's a few more features here and there, and since versions below 1.7 dont make any call of them, theres no issue anyway. XD Jabo's plugins probably just rely on Zilmars RSP

mendus

Hi.

I just overwrote the previos version for this one and now Project 64 2.1 is not recognizing the plugin. It's in the same directory as before so that shouldnt be the problem.

On top of that, I didnt make a copy of the old version so now I am out of any working Rice Video plugin.

Why could the error be? Is it possible to download a previous plugin?

F

Fanatic 64

This may be due to me switching to using a newer toolset for visual studio.
Which means you killed compatibility with Windows XP (and anything based on NT 5.X).

Also, you should edit the first post to reflect the requirement of the Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Runtime.

Last edited:
OP
death--droid

death--droid

Which means you killed compatibility with Windows XP (and anything based on NT 5.X).

Also, you should edit the first post to reflect the requirement of the Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Runtime.

Wrong actually,Visual Studio SP1 adds support for XP. :p So everything should work absolutely fine.

Yeah I probably should >.<

EDIT:
Development is probably going to stall soon sorry guys, computer is starting to act up quite a bit (Cant go a day without 3 full reboots). And i do not have the money to upgrade/replace the dodgy parts >.<

EDIT2: Well before my computer crashed out on me yet again I had actually finally made some work on getting pillarboxing implemented (main issue is reposition the UI so it doesnt get clipped more than anything) Ill upload some photos later >.< Hopefully all my source files are fine :p

Last edited:
F

Fanatic 64

Wrong actually,Visual Studio SP1 adds support for XP. :p So everything should work absolutely fine.

Yeah I probably should >.<

EDIT:
Development is probably going to stall soon sorry guys, computer is starting to act up quite a bit (Cant go a day without 3 full reboots). And i do not have the money to upgrade/replace the dodgy parts >.<

EDIT2: Well before my computer crashed out on me yet again I had actually finally made some work on getting pillarboxing implemented (main issue is reposition the UI so it doesnt get clipped more than anything) Ill upload some photos later >.< Hopefully all my source files are fine :p
Oh really? Well, I guess that's a nice treatment from Microsoft...

And well, as long as "stalled" doesn't mean "permanently abandoned", it's alright. If it helps, I will spend part of the afternoon clicking you Adfly links, since I don't want to have anything to do with PayPal (and my debit card is running a bit short of money...).

Salvy

Ah thanks!

Current plan is to merge in all improvements done by the Daedulus team (there's quite a few, they handle a lot of things much cleaner than rice does, but at the same time their not the easiest changes to merge across.

If you want to give it a shot, we implemented recently proper lightning for Conker and Majora's Mask (props to Glide64 authors for reversing the ucodes!)

OP
death--droid

death--droid

Oh really? Well, I guess that's a nice treatment from Microsoft...

And well, as long as "stalled" doesn't mean "permanently abandoned", it's alright. If it helps, I will spend part of the afternoon clicking you Adfly links, since I don't want to have anything to do with PayPal (and my debit card is running a bit short of money...).
:p yeah indeed, was actually surprised they added back in backwards compatibility XD

Stalled just means temporary :p I don't think ill ever abandon this project completely, or at least not anytime soon

Ah thanks!

If you want to give it a shot, we implemented recently proper lightning for Conker and Majora's Mask (props to Glide64 authors for reversing the ucodes!)
Ahhh yes :p I saw that the other night, just got to do some serious rethinking of our lighting. I got it implemented a couple of days ago but produced quite a mess. Though i get the feeling that's more just down to my bad porting of the code than anything >.< Probably try and bring across some of your other changes beforehand. Your handling of the microcommands is much cleaner and nicer than the way Rice is handling it at the moment in my opinion.

EDIT: Spending my spare time at the moment to try and clean up the way we are handling all the configs. It's a complete mess to say it simply. That and since where using the simpleini code anyway, we may as well use that for config as well >.< Probably works much nicer than our current code anyway

EDIT2: Going to start uploading more frequent versions however these will be marked as experimental and is only really for people who want bleeding edge and millions of bugs from my muck ups XD

http://adf.ly/Ur0O9

The main feature of this version is that it includes support for pillarboxing and extended widescreen rather than stretching

Please let me know how these features work, I know that the hud can be seriously screwed over in extended widescreen mode. More interested in whether they make much of a difference or anything.

Last edited:
OP
death--droid

death--droid

Development might slow down a fair bit for awhile sorry guys. I'm planning on a complete overhaul of the DirectX9 system with DirectX10 and 11 (Possible use some 11.2 features for those running windows 8 and add support for tiled resources)
There's varying advantages to this, for instance a much better programming pipeline. Much easier ways to handle things as it sorts particular shortfalls in DirectX9. It's also starting to make sense instead of using dating technologies to modernise hopefully bringing more features to the emulator.

Last edited:
F

Fanatic 64

Development might slow down a fair bit for awhile sorry guys. I'm planning on a complete overhaul of the DirectX9 system with DirectX10 and 11 (Possible use some 11.2 features for those running windows 8 and add support for tiled resources)
There's varying advantages to this, for instance a much better programming pipeline. Much easier ways to handle things as it sorts particular shortfalls in DirectX9. It's also starting to make sense instead of using dating technologies to modernise hopefully bringing more features to the emulator.
Aw, but my computer only supports DirectX 10.1 :( Does this mean the plugin would only work with DirectX 11.2 capable cards? Because AFAIK only a few cards support that currently.

Maybe we should modernize, but less aggressively?

*Insert plea to stick to DX10.1 here*

F

Fanatic 64

So I will "just" need a Radeon HD 7000 series to run Rice Video? Great! I can't afford one...

OP
death--droid

death--droid

Should of made myself clearer about that. Where actually able to detect whethera gfx card supports particular function. I'm most likely going to make it more directx10 anyway. You shouldn't need to buy a new gfx card unless it doesn't support direct at all

F

Fanatic 64

Ah well, then that's good :) Again, my computer supports up to 10.1, so it should work fine :cool:

OP
death--droid

death--droid

Also a note, if your graphics card support DX10.1 it will actually support some features of DX11 like multi-threaded resource handling. DirectX11 is pretty much an extension to DX10. You just wont get access to features like tessellation and shadermodel 5.0.

Dekki64

Also a note, if your graphics card support DX10.1 it will actually support some features of DX11 like multi-threaded resource handling. DirectX11 is pretty much an extension to DX10. You just wont get access to features like tessellation and shadermodel 5.0.

Does it matter whether or not the card supports DirectX11? I distinctly remember my DX10 card worked with the Direct3D11 renderer on Dolphin...
Though that may be because it uses that particular rendering style, or how they did so.
Either way, either of them would be a good step from DirectX9.

OP
death--droid

death--droid

Sorry i didnt make myself very clear, but yes you are right. It does not matter that your card does not support DirectX11.
But as I said, DirectX11 is pretty much just an extension to DX10. Theres only a couple of features that require your card to actually support it like tessellation. But there not features I would implement into the plugin as theres no need for it.