Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Hey @MarathonMan! How are things going?
    Proud Administrator Of Emutalk.net

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _Zack_ View Post
    Hey @MarathonMan! How are things going?
    Things have been pretty quiet, unfortunately. Haven't had a lot of time to hack lately. What time I have is still going into a newer VR4300 core that should hopefully bring CEN64 a lot closer to real time performance.

I've also been using the new core to start implementing a soft-CEN64 in hardware (verilog) on a Terasic DE0-Nano FPGA (~$55 academic, ~$75 non-academic), which has proved to be a challenging, yet interesting approach to the "limited speed" problem. The DE0-Nano probably won't be sufficient once the RSP/RDP are implemented -- something like a Cyclone V GX is probably closer to being realistic. I also have to look into legality issues... even with a clean-room approach, I'm not sure the legality of releasing this.

Currently regrading soft-CEN64, I'm focusing on implementing a R4300i core -- it looks as though this part of the console, caches and all, should fit on the DE0-Nano without any issues. My SDRAM controller is able to deliver >100MB/s for 16-byte line accesses at much lower latency than the N64's RDRAM, so should be enough oomph to supply the R4300i for now (?)

Switching back to CEN64, kromy has gotten some audio demos to work. He's also been working on some experimental OpenGL stuff. Though, as far as I know, he, too, has been fairly tied up in other things.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Well, as long as it's progressing, even if slowly, and you don't dissapear from the internet, everything is great.

I'm also interested about that hardware N64 emulator. That would truly be a "cycle-accurate N64 development underway"
    Help stop the NSA surveillance (Placeholder signature until I get a better one)

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Awesome project MarathonMan!
    Thanks for working on this poor child.

Will it be possible at one point to have resolution switching in cen64 to make it CRT-user friendly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocta View Post
    Will it be possible at one point to have resolution switching in cen64 to make it CRT-user friendly?
    As a Trinitron CRT user, I do not understand. Cen64 already outputs at 640x480, and all monitors that are at least like 25 years old should be able to display 640x480.

The only thing holding Cen64 back is that, AFAIK, it does not include a fullscreen option; IIRC there are front-ends that do support this however.
    EmuTalk.net's resident straight-male kuutsundere
    (that's a kuudere-tsundere hybrid; from left to right is the outer "layer" to inner "layer")

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The problem is that 640x480 is just one of the many possible resolutions for the N64.

I still have this list as a base (sorry but I don't remember who's the original author):

This list is by no means complete:
    256x224 - the lowest resolution; used by Mario 64, Pilotwings, and
possibly others.
    320x240 - used by most N64 games.
    512x448 (not sure if that's right) - "medium res", used by NHL Breakaway
Hockey, FIFA 98, WWF Warzone, and others.
    640x480 - hi-res, used by QB Club 98/99 and All Star Baseball and Madden 99.
    Also, Turok 2 and Rogue
Squadron will have an option to run at 640x480, if you have the expansion pack (but **** framerate).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocta View Post
    The problem is that 640x480 is just one of the many possible resolutions for the N64.
    As of right now Cen64 always outputs to a 640x480 window. I don't know about other resolutions, but 640x480 is rendered natively while 320x240 is upscaled 200% via nearest neighbor (aka "pixel doubling").

Are you aware that Cen64 has an official forum now? (http://cen64.com) You may be able to get a more in-depth discussion and response on the subject if you ask on there.
    EmuTalk.net's resident straight-male kuutsundere
    (that's a kuudere-tsundere hybrid; from left to right is the outer "layer" to inner "layer")

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Nintendo Maniac, I didn't know.
    I'm going to ask there.

• Advertising

advertising
      EmuTalk.net
      has no influence
      on the ads that
      are displayed

Page 94 of 94 FirstFirst ... 4484929394