Page 26 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
    The Great Gunblade Wielder squall_leonhart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    so..... this is still on track to interpret Rogue squadron at 60fps right ;D

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by squall_leonhart View Post
    so..... this is still on track to interpret Rogue squadron at 60fps right ;D
    To be honest, I'm not sure. It's hard to put a figure on the performance right now. The VR4300 core is now bouncing around the libultra scheduler, and the RSP manages to execute whatever little code is DMA'd to it... from how things seem so far, I'd like to say that it's going to be playable (I would like to use my own emulator, after all...).

The slowdowns right now are due to the fact that I'm not simulating the caches and have to use the bus to communicate with the RDRAM on a per-cycle basis. I also don't stall on RDRAM. That being said, I can still sift through ~50 million instructions on a powerful machine, so I'm hoping that the IPC of the actual console is somewhere around that range.

EDIT: On the plus side, there won't be any "oh, does it run X game or Y game well?". Really, for a simulator, all games are equally challenging. If it runs one game well, it should run them all well (within reason).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Btw, thanks for the warning Remote, i'll treasure it. ;D
    Do it you crybaby! And see how much more interesting the latter part of your reply is compared to what you first wrote

I think it's pretty cool with a cycle accurate N64 emulator in progress and my suggestions was mainly that you could use a preexisting plugin to get the visual part while working on the core and then just remove support for it and swap it with a software renderer.
    MCMLXXXIII

The Great Gunblade Wielder squall_leonhart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Remote View Post
    Do it you crybaby! And see how much more interesting the latter part of your reply is compared to what you first wrote

I think it's pretty cool with a cycle accurate N64 emulator in progress and my suggestions was mainly that you could use a preexisting plugin to get the visual part while working on the core and then just remove support for it and swap it with a software renderer.
    well, i was on my way out the door for reals, i just wanted to throw that tidbit out beforehand and save the spot to edit more later

Quote Originally Posted by MarathonMan View Post
    (within reason).
    like how RARE games completely abused the actual console

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    like how RARE games completely abused the actual console
    I was just saying: don't try to compare the game with the lowest known requirements and compare it to Conkers.

Whoo hoo. Interrupts being handled well enough for Super Mario 64 to start running its way around libultra. I can even see the OS scheduling different threads (due to the large streams of LWC1/SWC1 during context switches).

Couple more unimplemented instructions that are likely causing things to break shortly after that though...

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was just saying: don't try to compare the game with the lowest known requirements and compare it to Conkers.

Whoo hoo. Interrupts being handled well enough for Super Mario 64 to start running its way around libultra. I can even see the OS scheduling different threads (due to the large streams of LWC1/SWC1 during context switches).

Couple more unimplemented instructions that are likely causing things to break shortly after that though...
    .. So exciting to hear with the brain from me that cannot handle all the technical stuff..
    Last edited by didado; March 6th, 2013 at 07:38.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Random thought regarding being "polygon accurate" - wouldn't this also allow external textures? I know some fan translations like Sin and Punishment (pre-virtual console) use external textures for english text.

EmuTalk.net's resident straight-male kuutsundere
    (that's a kuudere-tsundere hybrid; from left to right is the outer "layer" to inner "layer")

• Advertising

advertising
      EmuTalk.net
      has no influence
      on the ads that
      are displayed

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Pretty sure it's the only translation that relies entirely on texture packs. That's mostly because they were too lazy to encode and reinsert them (although you can use upsclaed images easier this way). It's not like the compression isn't known either.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nintendo Maniac View Post
    Random thought regarding being "polygon accurate" - wouldn't this also allow external textures? I know some fan translations like Sin and Punishment (pre-virtual console) use external textures for english text.
    Why do you people care anyway? You people want cycle accuracy, and that includes LLE of the RDP, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmudlord View Post
    Why do you people care anyway?
    Why? Because of this:

settle for polygon accurate.
    Actually been thinking about this as there seems to be more of a following for high-res renderers.
    EmuTalk.net's resident straight-male kuutsundere
    (that's a kuudere-tsundere hybrid; from left to right is the outer "layer" to inner "layer")

Page 26 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast