What's new

Announcement: Cycle-accurate N64 development underway.

OP
MarathonMan

MarathonMan

Emulator Developer
@arbin: Yes, I'll drop by.

Don't know if its of any use to you, but I did some profiling with google's pprof tool, see the attachment. One caveat is that I turned off all inlining to better see whats going on.

EDIT: A small bug in debug mode exclusive (the irony): In rdp/Core.c there is
#define RREADIDX32(in) (assert(in <= 0x7FFFFC), bswap32(rdram[in]));

which is later called as
RREADIDX32(dp_current_al & 0x3fffff);

It fails the assert because of the macro and operator precedence doing bad teamwork :)

With LTO and optimizations disabled, the callgraph is probably not really to be trusted.

The assertions that I wrote more or less should probably just be taken out all together. The assert should actually be 0x3FFFFF, too, since it's a 4-byte array and not 1-byte array. Thanks for commenting, I'll fix tonight.

Nintendo Maniac

Did I say it wasn't? It's the same glfw joystick code that marathonman has in cen64 right now, with additional configurations available.

Well, saying it's specifically for the Mayflash N64 adapter without mentioning other HID devices implies that it's only for that, but it's just a standard USB HID device, so I was quite confused...

Last edited:

arbingordon

Well, saying it's specifically for the Mayflash N64 adapter without mentioning other HID devices implies that it's only for that, but it's just a standard USB HID device, so I was quite confused...

That's because it *is* only for that. Other devices will have different button-maps, and do potentially weird shit like the Mayflash 64 adapters do for C buttons - mapping them to a joystick. I'm not going to say it works magically for any device; why would it?

Nintendo Maniac

That's because it *is* only for that. Other devices will have different button-maps, and do potentially weird shit like the Mayflash 64 adapters do for C buttons - mapping them to a joystick. I'm not going to say it works magically for any device; why would it?

Because having the wrong button mappings would still mean that it works, just not optimally? Maybe I'm misunderstanding how USB HID gamepads work, but from my understanding, mapping something to button 1 on HID gamepad A will still have that action be mapped to whatever button 1 is when you plug in gamepad B.

Last edited:

arbingordon

Because having the wrong button mappings would still mean that it works, just not optimally? Maybe I'm misunderstanding how USB HID gamepads work, but from my understanding, mapping something to button 1 on HID gamepad A will still have that action be mapped to whatever button 1 is when you plug in gamepad B.

Then you're misunderstanding quite a bit. Why don't you test out our ideas by tweaking the cen64 source?
The relevant source file: pif/Actions.c

Nintendo Maniac

Then you're misunderstanding quite a bit. Why don't you test out our ideas by tweaking the cen64 source?
The relevant source file: pif/Actions.c

Cause I'm a hardware guy, not a software guy. :p I mean, I can use and manage software perfectly fine, but I can't do diddly-sqwat with raw program code.

I mean, I can pop off CPU IHSes any day of the week without killing the CPU (I'm 4 for 4 on that stat currently) and modifying the mounting bracket accordingly so that the heatsink makes contact with the CPU die, but give me a page of code and I'm all "wat".

Last edited:

arbingordon

Cause I'm a hardware guy, not a software guy. :p I mean, I can use and manage software perfectly fine, but I can't do diddly-sqwat with raw program code.

I mean, I can pop off CPU IHSes any day of the week without killing the CPU and modifying the heatsink and/or the mounting bracket accordingly (I'm currently 4 for 4 via the tradition razor method), but give me a page of code and I'm all "wat".

Then why talk about it as if you *are* a software guy?

Nintendo Maniac

Then why talk about it as if you *are* a software guy?

Well, I know a thing or two about software, but I can't really read or write code myself.

And besides...
Maybe I'm misunderstanding how USB HID gamepads work

If I was a software guy, wouldn't I have enough knowledge to know by myself if I was misunderstanding how USB HID gamepads work, or have enough knowledge to not even be able to possibly misunderstand in the first place?

F

Fanatic 64

And the fight ensues. I'll grab some popcorn... wait, I ran out of popcorn :doh:

sanni

Please Nintendo Maniac stop. If you need to vent your anger with the world then please please not in this thread :(

arbingordon

Well, I know a thing or two about software, but I can't really read or write code myself.

Apparently you don't. I'm not going to check the thread thoroughly for every post you've made, but from what I've seen it's on the whole, useless/irrelevant/incorrect information

If I was a software guy, wouldn't I have enough knowledge to know by myself if I was misunderstanding how USB HID gamepads work, or have enough knowledge to not even be able to possibly misunderstand in the first place?

Yea? But read my question again, and you'll see how that doesn't matter.

The issue is that you know nothing yet for some reason you have to comment on everything that is said in the thread.
Just stop talking.

F

Fanatic 64

Both of you are being aggressive to each other. Just stop it, please. It isn't enjoyable. (Specially without popcorn.)

Nintendo Maniac

Bwah? Aggressive? o_O The entire time I've just been confused and nothing else...

If I'm coming off as aggressive or angry or the like I apologize. I typically speak in a relatively non-emotive manner in order to avoid being perceived as such since such misunderstandings have happened many times. I do believe this is a typical case of the internet failing to convey the correct emotion in one's speaking.

Therefore, if both my non-emotive and emotive way of speaking are perceived as aggressive even when I am not, what am I to do? If your answer truly is "stop posting and/or leave" and you aren't just saying that from possible anger and/or frustration (I say "possible" because, again, emotion is not clear on the internet), then I will consider it.

And arbingordon, "a thing or two" is a very small amount, so with the immense amount of software that exists in the world and on the internet today, it would be highly unlikely for that "thing or two" to just happen to be about the specific piece of software in question.

EDIT: In the mean time, in an attempt to move on get the topic back on-track, I will agree to not post anything for at least the next 2 pages regardless of whether I am requested to leave and/or stop posting. This is because a disagreement is a two-way street, and much like a fire it needs both fuel and oxygen in order to burn. So I will choose to cut off the fuel by abstaining to post for a bit, since no amount of oxygen will cause burning and instead the excessive oxygen will just call attention to itself.

And just a heads up, a large part of the reason for my frequent activity in this thread is because I have immediate email notification enabled. I'll set that to a weekly digest instead in an attempt to curb my posting activity, since, I'll be honest, the emails for this specific thread are even a bit too frequent for my tastes.

Last edited:
F

Fanatic 64

In this case I'm referring mostly to arbingordon trough. You know, I don't like when someone just appears on a forum and tells someone else to shut up...

Extremist

Reap, Slay, Devastate.
Apparently you don't. I'm not going to check the thread thoroughly for every post you've made, but from what I've seen it's on the whole, useless/irrelevant/incorrect information

Yea? But read my question again, and you'll see how that doesn't matter.

The issue is that you know nothing yet for some reason you have to comment on everything that is said in the thread.
Just stop talking.

You are the antagonist in this case. You could've just explained to NM what he was missing, but you decided to demean him instead. If you don't apologize and shape up, I'm going to suggest to the site staff that disciplinary action be taken.

arbingordon

You are the antagonist in this case. You could've just explained to NM what he was missing, but you decided to demean him instead. If you don't apologize and shape up, I'm going to suggest to the site staff that disciplinary action be taken.

For 3 posts, I tried that, without stepping on any toes, since he clearly has to have the last, "right" word.
That didn't work; this is the alternative.
If someone's going to pick at my code and try and argue with me about it, they better damn well be right.
He isn't. Well, I guess he is if you subscribe to nonsensical terminology, like "completely broken functionality" being the same as "working", he is, but otherwise no.

OP
MarathonMan

MarathonMan

Emulator Developer
Bwah? Aggressive? o_O The entire time I've just been confused and nothing else...

Not trying to provoke anything, but you certainly come off as aggressive sometimes.

I can just relate to arbin as I've definitely gotten frustrated with you a few times, as have others based on the history of this topic. Doesn't mean you shouldn't post or "lay away," necessarily, but perhaps consider your tone of language:

Well then isn't your code for a Mayflash N64 USB adapter just code for generic USB HID gamepads?

Most people, myself included, read this as:

Well then, ...

Instead of presenting the question with a negative connotation:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding; is your code for a Mayflash N64 USB adapter just code for a generic USB HID gamepad?

Generally, I'll try to do the same. You'll find posts where I clearly express anger due to external frustrations, but I try to avoid instigating arguments or problems with others' code. Especially since most do this in their free time, they become incredibly defensive (or internally frustrated), when criticized... again, myself included. Is it completely warranted? Maybe not. But wouldn't you be at least a little frustrated if you tried to present something you worked hard on in your spare time, only to have it criticized immediately?

Last edited:

Nintendo Maniac

Most people, myself included, read this as:

Well then, ...

Ah, yeah, that was meant be "Well, then isn't your..." rather than "well then, isn't your...". Guess I should have put a comma, but I'm unsure about the grammar rules for commas for after the first word in a sentence - I've always gotten the impression that you should leave it out when making a proper sentence.

But wouldn't you be at least a little frustrated if you tried to present something you worked hard on in your spare time, only to have it criticized immediately?

Actually, I'm bad enough that I usually perceive things as critisicm when they actually aren't - this is especially prevelant in "real life". However, I personally see that issue as applying to when something has been deemed finished. By comparison, I view this topic here to be for something that is distinctly WIP and therefore the goal is to do just that - get all the kinks and issues worked out.

OK, my abstinence from posting will start now. I know I don't have to, but I have more interest in "preserving peace" than being social.

Last edited: