What's new

Gamecube compatability for wii games.

gothic717433

I've just downloaded Monster Hunter Tri, and the newest version of dolphin. The game runs fine, but I don't want to have to use a mouse and keyboard to play the game. Is it possible for me to use my wired xbox controller? It picks it up, and I can configure it as a gamecube controller, but even though I have it set to port 1, none of the buttons on it work and the mouse is still used as a normal wii cursor. So to make it simpler to understand, is it possible to use an emulated gamecube controller for wii games rather than using a wii controller, like you can on a normal wii. If not, is it possible for me to configure my xbox controller for use as a wii classic controller? This is the first time I'm using a wii game on dolphin, so i'm kinda new to all this :p

thanks

Clements

All the things you mention are all possible with Dolphin's input plugin. I use a wired X360 controller myself and it works really well for Wii games that are less reliant on the motion controls.

If the Wii game supported GC controllers (like Smash Bros Brawl), then you can configure the GC pad in the input plugin and it will work with that. Games that support the Classic Controller (like Xenoblade) can be configured in the Wii input settings under attachments, where you can configure your pad. Similar with the nunchuck attachment that is required to play some games. You just need to be sure what the Wii game supports in terms of input and set up the plugin accordingly. You can create custom input profiles for different games in the input plugin to save some hassle as well.

I suggest you play around in the input plugin until you are happy with the controls. Someone may be able to provide you with a profile but there are already quite a few available on the internet that you could try, such as those found here:

http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=14934

OP
G

gothic717433

Okay. All works now, but my game speed drops to 66%. Any way I can increase this without spending money on upgrading my pc? Shouldn't have this issue in the first place, my pc isn't cheap. Got a 3ghz processor, 8gb ram, so i'm not sure what the issue is. Would burning the game to a disk, then play the game on dolphin through the disk speed things up rather than playing from a folder on my pc? And any other ways I can speed it up to get it to roughly 100%? 66% is too low to play this game.

OP
G

gothic717433

Processor Intel® Quad Core Processor i5-2320
- 3 Ghz
- 6MB cache memory
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
RAM 8GB (4GB + 4GB), DDR3, 1333Mhz, Maximum expandable memory 8GB (4GB + 4GB)
Graphics card AMD HD6670
2GB DDR3
Hard drive 1.5 TB, 7200rpm (variable), SATA
Optical disk drive Yes

16x DVD, 48x CDR, 24x RW
24x DVD -/+R, 8x DL-/+R, 8x +RW, 6x -RW, 12x -RAM
Memory card reader Yes
USB 8
Modem/Ethernet 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
WiFi Ralink 802.11 bgn USB Dongle
Audio interface 3.5mm,Optical, SPDIF
Expansion card slot 2x PCI-E x1

Toasty

Sony battery
Gamecube games should probably run pretty consistently on that machine at full speed, but Wii games will undoubtedly experience slowdowns, with some games/areas being worse than others. For a reference, I have an i5-3570K running at 4.2 GHz and Super Mario Galaxy still experiences frequent dips in FPS. As a very general rule of thumb, a (well written, efficient) emulator requires about an order of magnitude more processing speed than the emulated platform to achieve full speed emulation, so the fact that Dolphin reaches full speed in many areas without requiring a 7 GHz CPU is actually quite impressive.

Clements

Overclocking should help a great deal. I have my i5 750 overclocked to 4GHz, and most games run pretty well. There are exceptions like Xenoblade and Tales of Symphonia (FPS dips during battles when using LLE audio to fix the sound). These problems will probably be eased when the next generation Intel CPUs become available.

Either way, check out this performance guide to make the most out of Dolphin:

http://wiki.dolphin-emulator.com/index.php?title=Performance_guide

Toasty

Sony battery
Can the i5-2320 be effectively overclocked? I was under the impression that most of Intel's newer Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPUs (aside from the multiplier-unlocked K series) were pretty difficult to overclock by much due to platform limitations.

Clements

Yep, he would need to have a P67 or Z68 chipset to support overclocking of any kind, and even then its harder to overclock than the 'K' chips due to locked multiplier, so he'd be left altering the bus speed only. Still, it is possible.

Martin

Administrator
Overclocking should help a great deal. I have my i5 750 overclocked to 4GHz, and most games run pretty well. There are exceptions like Xenoblade and Tales of Symphonia (FPS dips during battles when using LLE audio to fix the sound). These problems will probably be eased when the next generation Intel CPUs become available.

Either way, check out this performance guide to make the most out of Dolphin:

http://wiki.dolphin-emulator.com/index.php?title=Performance_guide

Damn 4 Ghz? Must be pretty speedy :)