What's new

Problem: Project 64 only detects Gamepad analog stick in 8 ways

KYshu

[Solved!] Problem: Project 64 only detects Gamepad analog stick in 8 ways

Hello Emutalk forum!

I have a little problem with Project 64, that I couldn't fix on my own, and that I already wasted hours of lookign through Google, and also searching on this forum, to no success.
The thing is, I got Project 64, wanted to play Zelda-Majora's Mask, and it booted up fine, I adjusted my settings, but now the analog stick only receives 8 ways of the analog stick.
That means, I can go left, right, up and down, and diagonal between these directions, you know. Say, I press my Analog stick up, Link walks forward. When I slowly move it to the left, Link keeps moving forward, but at a certain point, he suddenly turns and walks diagonally to the front and left.
This is especially annoying when I fly in a deku-plant, as I can't properly control Deku-Link, as well as looking around with C-Up (I have bound the C-buttons to my right analog stick, which also only receives 8 directions, but that isn't important).
I should also mention, that the sensitivity seems to be right. When I slightly press the analog stick, Link walks, when I press it further, Link runs.

I am also very sure, that my PC handles Project 64, no doubt ^^ The specs are on my profile!
The gamepad I use is the Hama Whitestorm Pad. Not the best one, I know, but it has the right amount of buttons, and is overall okay for this. The analog stick is also 360 degrees, if anyone asks, it works fine in every other game and program I used with it, just not Project 64.

What I have tried so far:

- Trying out N-Rage's input plugin (I am using it together with the standard audio and the standard video plugin)
- Calibrating the gamepad via Control Panel
- Trying the Analog stick with it switched from Digital to Analog (I did that by default, otherwise, the 2nd analog stick would have only given back buttons if pressed (the 4 buttons on the right side)
- Trying the right Analog Stick as the movement analog stick (same result)

I really don't know what else to do, so I hope someone can help me there :)

Greetings from Germany, Kyshu

PS: It is Kyshu, not KYshu, that is a typo, haha.

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
If you are using the default input plugin, try the N-Rage Input plugin instead, and see if things improve.

OP
K

KYshu

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I am using the N-Rage plugin :) I'm adding it to the post now.

OP
K

KYshu

Nope! Doesn't work! :(
Maybe someone has experience with the Hama Whitestorm PAd and knows if it even detects 360 degrees? When I try to calibrate it in Windows though, everything is fine ..
And I think, when I was using PJ64 back in XP, it was fine, too .. not sure about that though, but maybe it helps you guys :)

OP
K

KYshu

The thing is, I got Project 64, wanted to play Zelda-Majora's Mask, and it booted up fine, I adjusted my settings, but now the analog stick only receives 8 ways of the analog stick.

;)

Sorry for not posting, I was "away" for 2 days :p

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
cannot reproduce

though both this and zelda64 have such a difficult to percieve stepping between directions in any case

its closer to 16 directions

OP
K

KYshu

So, do you think it's more of a game/console thing? Because if I remember right, Majora's Mask definitely had more than 8 or 16 directions to go :p

DETOMINE

You should try with 1964 (same plugins, same rom). I don't think it is related to project64, but you may give it a try.

edit : I had some problems with nrage 2.3. I suggest you to use the 2.1 version, which is the one provided here by Bighead.

edit2 : typo

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

what problem did you have with 2.3?

apart from the broken file browsers, which i fixed in 2.3b quick enough

Last edited:

DETOMINE

what problem did you have with 2.3?

apart from the broken file browsers, which i fixed in 2.3b quick enough

Crashes, mostly. But I may have done something wrong at the time, since I was testing many combinations of plugins and emulators.
Now I trust the Bighead's list and I use his recommended plugins, and so far it's work quite well.

Can you please tell me what's the differences between 2.1 and 2.3? I don't remember losing feature from 2.3 to 2.1.

Kyshu, you should also test the standard input plugin from pj64, just in case.

squall_leonhart

without crash dumps or error codes, i can only assume user error(lacking runtime or device preference not configured in joy.cpl) or a fault in your system

squall_leonhart

just released 2.3c, check it out, it should be a fair bit more sensitive on 360 pads and the deadzone slider and large rumble motor work on 360 pads too.

OP
K

KYshu

Okay guys, I solved the problem ^^ It was apparently my controller or whatever the hell was causing it, I got an Xbox-360-controller, now it works perfectly! :)
I do wonder why it didn't work with the Whitestorm Pad, though .. Oh, whatever. At least we know it's solved, and the Hama Whitestorm pad sucks :p

Thank you guys for your help, though ;) And I will check out N-Rage 2.3c

Greetings, Kyshu