What's new

Demul command line full screen and DirectX 9...

Chandy

I like Demul very much but having some troubles with command line. There is no command line to go full screen (real full screen, not a windowed mode without bars). As I'm using Demul via an arcade frontend more command line options would be nice, especially full screen. Moreover I think it is not very wise to make it necessary to specify the emulated machine like Atomiswave or Dreamcast by command line - this makes it unnecessarily difficult to integrate it into an arcade frontend. I think there should be a kind of automatism to detect for which platform the selected game is...

I do not think that abandoning DirectX 9 plugin is a good idea. Most people still using DirectX 9. Most arcade cabinet users with a so called MAME PC in it are using Windows XP so they can only use DirectX 9. And an emulator like Demul is predestinated to be used in an arcade cabinet...

ABACABB

The way I do it is to have your frontend send the keys (Alt+Enter) to make Demul go fullscreen after it is open. This is actually ideal because once you go fullscreen, I cannot figure out a way to get back to the windowed screen to close Demul when you are finished. Your fronted exit command just terminates the program and it works good. I use GameEx as my fronted BTW.......

Good luck

OP
C

Chandy

That is not a very convenient solution. Wouldn't it be better to have an option so that Demul can make this by itself and not rely on another program? It should be no big thing to add a command line option for going fullscreen at start, shouldn't it?

ABACABB

It's actually very convenient, easy to do AND IT WORKS!! I'm sorry it is not the answer you were looking for but you did ask how other people do this, so here it is. If you don't like that solution perhaps you should join the Demul development team and help them to implement that feature into the next release.

OP
C

Chandy

I never asked how people do this.

Nevertheless isn't it strange that almost every emulator offers a full screen mode by command line or via .ini and Demul doesn't?

ABACABB

Yes I agree it is strange. There are a few things with Demul that are strange come to think of it. Perhaps in a future version (if another is ever released) they will add this support. I am just happy that is plays a few games I love as well as it does. The slowdown issue with certain stages of VF4 frustrates me the most but I am no programmer. And I'm not contributing anything to the project so who am I to complain?

We can always just wish though right? Anyways in the settings of your frontend, there should be a section to have it send keys or commands. Enter "%{ENTER}". This will force Demul to go fullscreen. If you can specify a delay start with around 12000 and tweak it from there until it works properly and doesn't crash Demul.

OP
C

Chandy

Yeah, I know. I did that with some other games and emulators with my frontend Maximus Arcade through AutoHotKey. Nevertheless I think this is only a workaround for something these games or emulators should be able to do by themself...

But I think because we are no programmers does not mean we can not contribute something! We contribute suggestions for improvement, are showing up some flaws and testing this whole damn thing on the field. Man, we are contributing! Yes, we are!