What's new

Fastest Saturn Emulator?

Lord Alan

Lord of Sonic and PSO
Hi everyone,

What's the fastest Saturn emulator available at the moment and how compatible is it? I'll assume none of them can play either NiGHTS or Panzer Dragoon Saga as of yet, so I'll just stick to my Saturn for those games.

By the way.....

Last edited:

(*_*)MARK

SEE YOU L8TER MASTERB8TER
You can play nights and panzer dragoon saga (go to screenshots thread and go ssf thread and it shows me playin the game) but speed is a prob for saturn emus in the merry sentence "go buy a saturn":d its too early to play saturn emus above 20fps even with the highest spec pc out there.

OP
Lord Alan

Lord Alan

Lord of Sonic and PSO
Yeah of course I have a Saturn ;) if I'm playing PAL games do i need a European BIOS?

Also, I just won an auction for the brilliant Burning Rangers, but it cost me nearly £80. Oh well it's worth it for BR!

2fast4u

Lord Alan said:
Yeah of course I have a Saturn ;) if I'm playing PAL games do i need a European BIOS?

it's enough to have any bios (usa, eu, jap) and set the region / area to 'europe'. :)

OP
Lord Alan

Lord Alan

Lord of Sonic and PSO
ok then i dont know what bios i have anyway lol. What emulator are your referring to 2fast? ssf?

(Yet) Another question:

I downloaded satourne a few nights ago. is a rom binary image just the same as an ISO? Because this confuses me a bit!

2fast4u

ok then i dont know what bios i have anyway lol. What emulator are your referring to 2fast? ssf?

yes, i used ssf coz giri giri project won't run on xp.

(Yet) Another question: I downloaded satourne a few nights ago. is a rom binary image just the same as an ISO? Because this confuses me a bit!

well, the current release of saturn doesnt run any isos, just the bios. it appears that the next release is near however, and it appears to be breaking ground :) .

a bin is a cd-rom image file like iso (however iso is compressed while bin is raw data), so for saturn there are no rom images of games existing.

OP
Lord Alan

Lord Alan

Lord of Sonic and PSO
OK i'll download ssf thanks. is there any way to rip a Saturn disc to a .bin format or will ssf run isos? (or indeed original discs, but I know from experience that isos run much faster than discs)

Also there are no rom images because they'd be absolutely massive! lol. Panzer Dragoon Saga- around 3gb. :colgate: Any real Saturn fans would own a real Saturn anyway and wouldn't download roms off the internet, well maybe Radiant Silvergun but it's so rare

2fast4u

Lord Alan said:
is there any way to rip a Saturn disc to a .bin format or will ssf run isos? (or indeed original discs, but I know from experience that isos run much faster than discs)

read the rules plz. we don't give out info on ripping cds in any way. however ssf runs directly from cd anyway, so no need to do so.

OP
Lord Alan

Lord Alan

Lord of Sonic and PSO
oh sorry i forgot about that! ill just run it from cd. where do i place the bios and what do i rename it to (for ssf?)

2fast4u

/me points Lord Allan to the neat faq for ssf on Saturn Shack ;)

First, check to make sure you have all of the recommended updates in General Help.
Secondly, check to make sure you have the Saturn Bios renamed "boot.rom" and in your SSF folder
Third, insert your Sega Saturn CD into your CD-Rom drive.
Fourth, Launch SSF.exe

OP
Lord Alan

Lord Alan

Lord of Sonic and PSO
Ok got it working, its teeth grindingly slow but the Sonic Team logo in NiGHTS runs OK :D I couldn't get any further. Try again later maybe. Thanks very much I've started playing NiGHTS again!

(*_*)MARK

SEE YOU L8TER MASTERB8TER
It does work but if the fmv loads up it will stop working so you will have too button bash the "c" button until you reach the start menu. Also works with other games like fighters megamix.:D

OP
Lord Alan

Lord Alan

Lord of Sonic and PSO
Now that's what I call emulation. Just like the original ???

I'll have to try Fighters Megamix too. Good game that