What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Do textures (user made) ruin the game?

YouDontSay?

Granted most often any original N64 game texture looks like a badly done water painting. However people can use texture packs if they want but doesnt that ruin the spirit of the orignal game? that's like taking doom and using hd textures... I just think some things should be untouched.

It's a matter of opinion, but you don't have to use them if you don't like them. The main thing is that there is an option to do so, if you want to. Personally I would rather play the game as intended, but others feel differently and that's okay. Maybe you beat the game 5 times already and you want to play it again, but this time you want to use hi-res textures to change it up. There's nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
I'm with Starscream on this -- there's something about playing with the original textures that makes the experience seem more genuine to me. But it's nice to have the hi-res option when your eyes get bored of copious amounts of bilinear texture scaling. IMO, having the hi-res textures could only ruin the game if there was no way to go back to the originals. :)

Xizer

You're joking, right?

Unless you're playing Molerat Simulator 1994 then I don't see how increasing the clarity ruins the game. N64 games are flatout unplayable unless everything is natively rendered in 1080p.

OP
YouDontSay?

YouDontSay?

You're joking, right?

Unless you're playing Molerat Simulator 1994 then I don't see how increasing the clarity ruins the game. N64 games are flatout unplayable unless everything is natively rendered in 1080p.

No I'm not joking - when I got my N64 do you think I was playing on a bloody emulator?! granted my tv was tiny so graphics might have looked decent (for the time it was...).

razius

MU-TH-UR
Mad Fox.png

One's the original 128x128 Super Mario Galaxy texture, the other's a the thumbnail of a remade version that's 4096x4096.

RhinoKneel

I still find it crazy how stretched the N64 did textures. you dont notice it so much till you see the textures being stretched personally.
Like i ripped a few textures from Glover, and I've got to say the texture art is very well done imo, just the way it had to be rendered makes it less noticable

But yes, I can agree HD textures that stick pretty true to the original are great, but sometimes its fun to try new things with textures of games
Ive been playing around with Banjo Kazooie and some of the texture mods i have for Skyrim :p

spittnacid

I think if it stays true but redone in hd than it makes the game more pleasing on the eyes. If you were to go in and change all the textures to completely different ones, especially crappy ones than it just looks off and that would take away from the experience. Also if you notice, alot of old games are officially being redone in HD, for example, Final Fantasy. Although I don't know what they were thinking with the FF3 3D remake, It looks horrible. I'd love to see more emulators that allowed texture packs, definetly SNES.

yukon

Yes, user-made high resolution textures ruin games. Wait, usually the opposite of that.

When I'm playing primitive 3D games, particularly the 1st generation of playstation & saturn games & PC games up to the late 90's, I sometimes get confused. Why does the lampost talk? Why am I shooting carrots? Why can't I drive over the other ramps I'm racing against? Which way did the perspective go again?

Anything that improves the visuals can improve the experience. Visuals don't make the game, but they're a part. There's always a place for nostalgia in playing a childhood game, or preserving the original as time wears on cartridges, but for just "playing a game" improving it is an improvement.

That said, some texture packs show as the texture artist's first project. Like turning up the sharpness and saturation on an old video can help, but really cranking it makes a noisy mess. If it's worse, it's not an improvement, but a learning experience. Sometimes a mod can disguise itself as only the HD texturepack, where the artist's style clashed with the original work, and for a fan of the original game, the new pack can just look wrong. Texturepacks for N64 have gone well.

For me personally, I'll feel nostalgic and disable HD temporarily. Otherwise, the retro/cellshaded/fun packs are joyous. For playing through, if the artist has stayed true to the original vision, where the gameworld looks as if the main character had forgotten to wear glasses before, HD texture packs are literally brilliant.

death--droid

To me it really depends on the art style of the texture pack and whether to faithfully recreate the original textures or not.
Well pretty much exactly what you said here
"For playing through, if the artist has stayed true to the original vision, where the gameworld looks as if the main character had forgotten to wear glasses before, HD texture packs are literally brilliant."

volphor

Well, i found here in other sites reaaaaally good textures, i like the twilight textures for Majoras Mask especially, and the tp for ocarina is good too, the cell shaded versions for zelda games by Djipi are good too, not much of my preference, bt i had to admit they are really good. I think while the pack is well designed, it is just a way to play your favorites games with a kind of upgrade, of course when the style of the packs are cohesive and well designed