EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Europe region Nights is running slower than USA version in SSF

'using SSF 012 beta R3

If I run the (U) version of nights, it runs smooth and beautiful. If I run the (E) version, its choppy. Any reason why this might happen?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    TVs in the US and Japan use the NTSC broadcast format. As a result they output about 60 images per second.
    TVs in Europe use the PAL broadcast format. This format used to output about 50 images per second back then when Sega Saturn was introduced.

Now, while some limited games were re-programed for PAL broadcast, most were not. As a result the US and Japanese versions of those games were about 20% faster than the European versions.

The choppiness you're referring to happens because most LCD computer monitors output 60 images per second while the games you try were not meant to, thus the video output is choppy.
    I'm not insane. YOU are insane... You are all insane!

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyMan View Post
    TVs in the US and Japan use the NTSC broadcast format. As a result they output about 60 images per second.
    TVs in Europe use the PAL broadcast format. This format used to output about 50 images per second back then when Sega Saturn was introduced.

Now, while some limited games were re-programed for PAL broadcast, most were not. As a result the US and Japanese versions of those games were about 20% faster than the European versions.

The choppiness you're referring to happens because most LCD computer monitors output 60 images per second while the games you try were not meant to, thus the video output is choppy.
    so my best bet is to run all NTSC games?

16-bit Corpse | Moderator Agozer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes. There is really no reason to run PAL games on any emulator, unless you're somekind of a collector, the PAL version has extras that other versions don't have, or you want to play the game in some other European language (not very likely, unless you're German or something).
    Last edited by Agozer; April 16th, 2012 at 14:42.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks guys, that helps alot.