What's new

Ocarina of Time glitch

H4iden

I managed to get myself stuck on a ladder and cannot get unstuck. I was exiting the Zora's Domain right after doing the Dive thing, was climbing the ladder as the timer ran out. Right as the timer ended, my character stopped and the avatar is frozen in a standing position (not climbing the ladder). I tried rebooting the program, but it just loads to the same glitched spot.

Any help would be appreciated

Toasty

Sony battery
Disable any cheats you might be using and make sure you are loading from a native save. (Don't use save states.)

OP
H

H4iden

I don't have any cheats active and I didn't use the "Save" button to save my game, I saved it via the In Game menu.

Toasty

Sony battery
Can you post the save file? (It will be a very small file only a few KBs in size, located in PJ64's save folder, whose default location is either C:\Program Files\Project64 1.6\Save or C:\Program Files (x86)\Project64 1.6\Save.)

Toasty

Sony battery
I can't give you verbatim instructions since I'm away from my Windows PC at the moment, but if you poke around in PJ64's settings, there is an entry that will let you see/change the path where PJ64 stores/looks for saves. Once you find that you should be able to locate the save file. If you're still unable to find it by Monday, I can assist you further if no one else has.

OP
H

H4iden

It won't let me post URLs, but if you go to puush site and /pKI9 for the link extension, that's what I have. The link is case sensitive, btw

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
Sorry, I can't locate the file. Are newcomers unable to post attachments? (Should be available under Additional Options when posting a message. You'll have to either "Reply to Thread" or "Go Advanced"; it is not available in the Quick Reply box.)

Toasty

Sony battery
In PJ64, go to Options->Settings... On the Options tab, ensure that "Hide Advanced Settings" is unchecked and click OK. Then go back to Options->Settings... On the Directories tab, there will be a section named "N64 Auto saves" that specifies the path to your save directory. Navigate to that directory and there should be a file named "THE LEGEND OF ZELDA.sra". Post that file here.

OP
H

H4iden

Went into the Settings, "Hide Advanced Settings" was already unchecked. Found that directory just fine with the program open, but when I go back through the actual file, the folders for "Save" and "Screenshots" do not appear. I made sure it was the same directory on both. Could it just have not auto saved?

EDIT: Was able to find it by entering PJ64 and Searching for a file to "Load" via the client. It's in a Zipped folder, I'll get back to you on this I'm late for work.

Last edited:
OP
H

H4iden

This is all I get under the "Save" Directory. Tried the levitate thing, doesn't work. No movement I try works. Can't even open the menu. (Yes the controller works fine, I started a new profile to test it)

Toasty

Sony battery
So you're certain you're using native saves? (You save by pausing with the "Start" button and pressing "B", and you load by starting the ROM, pressing "Start" when the opening cut scene starts, and selecting your name from the in-game menu that appears?) I ask because there is no native save data in the directory shown in the screenshot above. A screenshot of the directories tab of PJ64's settings may be more telling.

Last edited:
OP
H

H4iden

So you're certain you're using native saves? (You save by pausing with the "Start" button and pressing "B", and you load by starting the ROM, pressing "Start" when the opening cut scene starts, and selecting your name from the in-game menu that appears?) I ask because there is no native save data in the directory shown in the screenshot above. A screenshot of the directories tab of PJ64's settings may be more telling.

Yep, absolutely sure of that.

Nocturne

Maybe the files are hidden for some reason? Try to go to your folderoptions and show hidden files. Although I've never seen them being hidden. If they aren't there, maybe its some kind of strange bug cuz u saved while the freeze. You should always use some quicksaves with F5 just for safety purpose. I find these saves way more comfortable anyway since u dont need for the game to start up, just quickload and gg. But this doesn't help u much now. What happens when u press F7 ingame for quickload? Since u already have 2 instant save files? For slot "~" and slot "1". You should try both. Maybe u saved right before the freeze.

Toasty

Sony battery
The save file must be somewhere. You can try checking for hidden files as Nocturne suggested, though I don't see how they could be hidden unintentionally. I'm not that familiar with Windows Vista and 7's UAC techniques, but I've read that when a standard user attempts to write to a file in a system location, the write may be redirected to a location that is writable by that user. Open a run dialog (Windows Key + R) and enter in the following:

Code:
explorer "%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\"

In the window that opens, there may be a Program Files and/or Program Files (x86) directory. If one or the other or both exist, check inside them for a Project64 1.6 directory, and check inside that for a Save directory. Does such a directory exist, and if so, does it contain THE LEGEND OF ZELDA.sra?

Last edited: