What's new

Sound in Top Gear Rally + Questions and Observations

dsx

A commonly brought up topic, but, just wondering if anybody's nailed it yet? I've managed to find the best settings, and documented it.

Default settings on Mupen64/Mupen64plus/Project64 1.7 - jumpy when the game starts for about a minute; at regular intervals sound is reproduced near-accurately for about 20 seconds, then becomes overly jumpy again.

Using Azimer's Audio 0.30 (Old Driver) or zilmar's audio plugin with the minimum audio buffer, essentially the reverse happens; sound starts out properly, becomes garbled after about a minute for about 20 seconds, then re-fixes itself. Overall, more time is spent with near-accurate audio than with the larger audio buffer (Jabo's Dsound, etc.)

As far as I can tell, what is needed is an audio plugin with an automatically re-adjusting buffer (seems pretty farfetched I know, lol). Just an observation.

Other Boss games, such as World Driver Championship and Stunt Racer 64 also require the small audio buffer setting, but the audio remains constant at all times. I can't get Twisted Edge to reproduce any sound at all.

WDC and SR64 do not boot with many audio plugins either, whereas Top Gear Rally boots with anything (other than hanging when audio sync is enabled on Azimer plugins). Twisted Edge will crash emulators quite easily, the various settings required for boot are specific.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by a moderator:

D1n

Researcher
Hey dsx thanks for the info! I have a question though, how did you manage playing WDC? I thought it was unplayable with the current emulators.
Any help emulating it will be greatly appreciated ;)

OP
D

dsx

I posted a video of the intro using z64gl, there are some instructions in the description :)

youtube.com/watch?v=t4jdjF13WNs

If you have any trouble understanding them, give me a shout
More info is available in this thread emutalk.net/threads/40640-Z64-a-LLE-graphics-plugin

In fact it's probably better to ask angrylion himself if your troubles are complicated

Last edited:

D1n

Researcher
Ah! You where talking about LLE, I forgot about that, I thought you were talking about something new in HLE:( nvm
I dont have a powerful enough machine to run LLE properly but thanks for the info and the links anyway ;)

OP
D

dsx

Aha right, no problem!

Also discovered that using Apollo for sound in Top Gear Rally is probably the best option, lol (Azimer's Audio 0.30 Old Driver or zilmar's audio plugin, use smallest or second smallest buffer setting)

Azimer

Emulator Developer
The issue is all about buffer timings and emulating the audio length register correctly. If I recall correctly, 0.30 audio code abuses direct sound buffers in an attempt to make N64 buffers work correctly. You get a mix of both good an bad that way. :)

OP
D

dsx

Thanks for the info! Pleased to meet you, I've always loved your plugins haha