What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Retexture in Glide64?

Luna's Lama

The German Lama
Hello everyone!

I was trying to retexture a game but I'm new to this and I need some help.
The graphics itself are no problem for me. I know how to draw textures and that stuff.
I searched a lot and there are many tutorials about dumping the textures. I also found some tutorials about how to design a good looking texture in Photoshop. But I need to know how to dump textures with Glide64 (2.2). The plugin creates a .DAT file in the cache but how do I edit this file?
And there is one thing. When I tried to dump textures with another plugin, I got a lot of tiled png's.. How do I put them together to a single image?

Again, I'm new to this, but really interested to learn it :)

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
unhide advance options/texture options tick {texture editing mode}
run game hit [D] on the keyboard.

.dat is read only.

in your plugin folder you will have a folder named {texture_dump} this has your png's
Highres_easer for putting png's together.

OP
Luna's Lama

Luna's Lama

The German Lama
Thank you. Now I know how to dump the textures, but how can I sort my created images?
I mean now there are a lot of images and I don't know from which scene they are.
The most time a rom has an intro video. How do I retexture something like that?

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
most intro videos are based off of the in game levels that they are showing demo of.

to sort you may have to play the game and spot by your eye.

OP
Luna's Lama

Luna's Lama

The German Lama
Ok, so far so good. But when I dump the textures of a startscreen and mark them by using the HighResEaser script, the images are not sortable because I can't read the numbers on it. I added a screenshot as an attachment.
(As you can see, the first number is 47. And the second.. ?)

Attachments

• startscreenStadium.jpg
    startscreenStadium.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 191

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
only load one set of files in to Hireser i.e background or title not both :)

then use a smaller text size for background files.
Backgrounds are the hardest thing to edit. :)

something that may help you is to windows search this %windir%\system32\magnify.exe

OP
Luna's Lama

Luna's Lama

The German Lama
Oh thanks, that helped! So I'll make the title transparent to see the background.
As for the text size, HighResEaser won't let me edit it. When I uncheck the automatic-size,
and put '5' in the field, the edited textures doesn't show any red number. How can I fix that?

microdev

Please post this issue and also these "fiddling things" here and I will see what I can do as soon as I get some time.

cheers,
microdev

OP
Luna's Lama

Luna's Lama

The German Lama
Thank you. I will post this issue.
I have another question: Is it possible to rescan the images on the screen?
Because I missed some letters when I dumped the textures.
Here's a screenshot of what I mean:

Attachments

• rescanimages.jpg
    rescanimages.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 174

stone64

Ok, so far so good. But when I dump the textures of a startscreen and mark them by using the HighResEaser script, the images are not sortable because I can't read the numbers on it. I added a screenshot as an attachment.
(As you can see, the first number is 47. And the second.. ?)

I had the same problem with my pokemon stadium pack
I changed the Texture res to *16
The font size is limited and the numbers are not cut with big textures

Attachments

• Glide64_POKEMON_STADIUM_02.jpg
    Glide64_POKEMON_STADIUM_02.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 95
OP
Luna's Lama

Luna's Lama

The German Lama
push 'D' key
But this only turns the dumping off/on.
The Problem is that some images are already shown on the screen and they are marked as "seen" by the glide64 plugin.
So when I turn the dumping off then on, nothing will happen. But I fixed that by re-opening the stage, and scanning the screen again.
It's a way more complicated but it works.

I had the same problem with my pokemon stadium pack
I changed the Texture res to *16
The font size is limited and the numbers are not cut with big textures
What do you mean with changing the texture res to *16? In PK2 the most of the background images are already 16x16 pixels.
Your screenshot looks like you figured out how to handle the problem but I don't get it.

stone64

The Problem is that some images are already shown on the screen and they are marked as "seen" by the glide64
I had this problem too and solved it with disabling texture cache
glide64 will dump all textures after pressing D

What do you mean with changing the texture res to *16? In PK2 the most of the background images are already 16x16 pixels.
Your screenshot looks like you figured out how to handle the problem but I don't get it.
You have to increase the resolution
set it to x16 as shown in the screenshot

Attachments

• texture res.jpg
    texture res.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 61
  • disable cache.jpg
    disable cache.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 68
OP
Luna's Lama

Luna's Lama

The German Lama
Thanks stone64, your advice were helpful :)
So I'm much further in this project but there's another problem I can't solve without help.
I'm trying to retexture an image of a n64 controller. But it doesn't work. The image looks weird.

Attachments

• controllerissue.jpg
    controllerissue.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 77

stone64

it seems like some textures are not replced properly
I don't know a solution for this
I'll have to leave them out