Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    @etking, you probably haven't tried mupen64plus, which is still under active development.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    mupen64plus doesn't have a user friendly Windows GUI available that I can think of. I'm eager to see what Hacktarux's work will produce with a cycle accurate N64 emulator.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodimus Primal View Post
    mupen64plus doesn't have a user friendly Windows GUI available that I can think of. I'm eager to see what Hacktarux's work will produce with a cycle accurate N64 emulator.
    I'd recommend you to check out the wxWidgets frontend.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Any source for NICE64?
    Tag me @Martin and I'll get back to you ASAP

The Emulation64 Network offers you free hosting!
    Click here for requirements and contact info.

Master of the Emulation Flame MasterPhW's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Any source for NICE64?
    Source aka source code or source aka current website?
    The Future of Emulation: Emulate a High End Computer on a Low End System
    Main: Intel Core i7 (Lynnfiled) 860 (@3.802Ghz) | 8 GB DDR3-1333 | ATI XFX HD 5750 PCI-E | ATI High Definition Audio Device | 256 GB SSD + 3 TB Internal SATA2 + 4 TB external | Windows 7 Professional X64 SP1 MSDNAA
    Netbook: Asus EeePC 1015PEM | Intel Atom Dual Core N550 (1,5GHz) | 2GB DDR3-1066 | Intel GMA 3150 | 250GB HDD | Win 7 Starter
    Old One: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (2x2.5Ghz; S939) | MSI KbT Neo2-F V2.0 | 2x1GB Corsair Value VS1GBKIT400 | Radeon HD 3850 512 MB/AGP8x | Creative SB Audigy LS | 2TB (4x500GB SATA2 HDDs Raid0) | Windows 7 Business X64 SP1 MSDNAA

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Has anyone been trying NICE 64? I tried xmWidgets with Mupen64plus and had difficulty setting it up.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alzabo View Post
    [...]
    Anybody had luck running Animal Forest in mupen64plus?
    It works quite well with Arachnoid. The default plugin (Rice) shows some graphical glitches. Another video plugin you can try is Glide.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How does Aracanoid act on Project 64 1.7? I'm going to give it a try when I get the chance but would like to know of any quirks it may have. Mupen64plus doesn't like my N64 controllers no matter what plugin I use.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

N64

Quote Originally Posted by etking View Post
    All current N64 emulators are full of crazy Bugs and have big stability issues. Developers should join forces and concentrate on bug fixing
    I'm disappointed too. I haven't tried in years, having been spoiled by MAME and Dolphin.

Things changed since I was in N64 emulation's community. Most N64 emulators are dead, not having time to maintain that 101th N64 emulator. Competition is good, but there's more focus now. If I find one more forum link that 404's, I'll start mirroring files. The 2 main emulators are open-source and friendly, so past progress will be built on and shared, not obsoleted. Developers now use version-control, with code.googles and mercurials and githubs, so it's organized. I don't know the Project64 leak story, but 1964 and Mupen64Plus are GPL, so licencing is easier. Considering N64 emulation's past, planning matters.

I'm most familiar with Mupen, which was redesigned properly, now easier to code for, more portable, and more efficient. Other projects create GUIs, also portable and better designed, leaving Mupen64Plus programmers to work on N64 emulation. Redesigning took time, but with frontends like M64Py they're caught up and working in the right framework.

Computers are faster. UltraHLE running Zelda64 on a Pentium2 was astonishing, but now code can be portable (eg. not assembly) and more accurate. Games look good effortlessly, and while performance matters for mobile ports, it isn't the driving concern it once was. I don't know how many years a P2 would need to render a frame of an N64 game accurately.

Overall, the N64 emulator space seems less visionary & amateur & erratic, more managed & $#@!ulative & stable.

The emulators themselves simply are more stable. Years ago, it was about playing the game until it froze. Now it's finding another game that works and then playing through it. Maybe it's the meticulously collected variety of 3044 ROM revisions, or the removal of hacks for more accurate code, but compatibility isn't good yet. Other console emulators are practically 100% compatible libraries, or run games released this year, but N64 emulation had false-starts.

N64's controller is difficult to reproduce -- impossible on a keyboard, not quite the X-Box standard, and rare for a controller to have enough buttons. The emulators aren't entirely good at controllers, but at least bluetooth isn't involved. N64 adapters seem less shady now, and there are purpose-made USB controllers too.

My conclusion is that N64 emulators don't replace the hardware yet, but they're finally moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodimus Primal View Post
    I'm eager to see a cycle accurate N64 emulator.
    Accuracy is difficult and good (arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/08/accuracy-takes-power-one-mans-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator). I'm eager too. I'm sad to see WaveRace 1080p-HiRes-HQ4X at <18% CPU usage when most games don't run. I don't know what hardware cycle-accuracy requires, but I could use an excuse to upgrade. Until LLE and cycle accuracy, I'm hoping the frontend developers will take a Dolphin approach to compatibility databases.

--
    Much love to N64 emulator developers. Sometimes we're critical because we love.

The Great Gunblade Wielder squall_leonhart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    cycle accuracy is thoroughly overrated, overstated, and almost entirely misunderstood by the majority of people who actually emulate games.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast