What's new

Best Gameboy Emulator

Best gameboy emulator?

So, i was thinking of playing some of my old gameboy games, just for the sake of nostalgia, but im not sure which gameboy emulator i should get?

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
KiGB is pretty good. No$Gmb also, though it's old. Gambatte as well, although no Super GameBoy support.

smcd

For the original gameboy and color models, I like bgb. Kigb is another often recommended.

OP
U

Ultimatium

Well, i just tried visual boy advance, but it gave me nothing but problems, so im going to try kigb and bgb instead. Also, it seems like you can get a 3ds emulator, which can play ocarina of time 3d. I wasn't aware of that, so that's pretty awesome.

Last edited:
OP
U

Ultimatium

It didn't seem to work out with kigb, sadly. I guess i should try with a ds or 3ds emulator instead, but im not sure where i should get the games?

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
You can download DS games, not 3DS games. You can download a DS emulator that works, but not a 3DS emulator that works.

DS games are on the Internet by the hundreds, if not thousands.

smcd

You can download DS games, not 3DS games. You can download a DS emulator that works, but not a 3DS emulator that works.

DS games are on the Internet by the hundreds, if not thousands.

By the thousands... pretty much every game released (and demos, several betas and wifi station exclusives, etc)

There do appear to be several 3ds games dumped and released now too - but currently are pretty useless as no emulators or pirate carts exist yet.

So much for the gameboy subject of the thread :p

pradipna

I guess you can emulate lameboy emulator on your NDS emulator and then use lameboy emulator to emulate Pokemon Blue. :p Emulate emulator in an emulator.

Alpha_Guardian

Sorry for the necrobump, but this topic is relevant for me. Which emulator will run the most games with the least bugs?

Do Gameboy Advance emulators play Gameboy Color games? It would be ideal to find an emulator that plays Gameboy Original, Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance games. I'm aware that no$GBA plays Gameboy Advance and DS but I don't know if it's compatible with original and color games.

Last edited:

Black Zero

Sorry for the necrobump, but this topic is relevant for me. Which emulator will run the most games with the least bugs?

Do Gameboy Advance emulators play Gameboy Color games? It would be ideal to find an emulator that plays Gameboy Original, Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance games. I'm aware that no$GBA plays Gameboy Advance and DS but I don't know if it's compatible with original and color games.

Let me help you with this friend.

bgb and Gambatte for Game Boy/Color games because they are the most accurate ones according to this

Both bgb and Gambatte have an accuracy grade of 89.4% which is really high.
I can say that they are indeed very accurate because I use them a lot personally on a regular basis.

bgb as far as I know is closed source which is apparently a big turn-off for some but Gambatte is open sourced.

I prefer bgb as you can see here, here and here as I made my own borders for it with authentic colors and all.

Plus bgb actually makes it so you can use the Game Boy and Game Boy Color bios files which Gambatte can't.

As for Game Boy Advance games I recommend VBA-M but don't recommend it for Game Boy/Color games, bgb and Gambatte makes a hell of a lot better job in that department.

As for Nintendo DS games, DeSmuME is the only one I can recommend since it have superseded no$gba since long. Although apparently it does have DSi support but for Nintendo DS games, DeSmuME all the way.