What's new

Black lines in some games

Black borders in super mario 64

It seems that, in super mario 64, there's a problem with black borders on the top and bottom of the screen. It's not a problem with the rest of my games. Is it something that has to do with pal and ntsc fortmats? Is there some way to fix this?

Last edited:

Allnatural

It's normal. What you're seeing is the overscan area, which would normally be hidden beyond the edge of your tv screen if you were using a real console. Some games displayed a full image. Others didn't bother since you wouldn't see the extreme edges anyway.

OP
U

Ultimatium

Is there a way to get rid of these black borders, so that super mario 64 fills out the entire screen?

Last edited:
OP
U

Ultimatium

I really don't think that's a good solution. Also, i have a 24" monitor that runs by 1920x1200 with a 16:10 aspect ratio. Is it possible that you could implement a feature that forces some of the games to run with this particular aspect ratio. I have tried using the the "strech" function but even so there are still black lines.

In mario 64 the picture is a little square the only way to make it bigger is to use

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
No N64 game uses 16:10 aspect ratio. Forcing N64 games to 16:10 aspect ratio is not pretty. Seeing how Project64 development is on halt (or stopped for good), most likely there will not be such an option.

Last edited:
OP
U

Ultimatium

I think i may have found a solution. If you use override aspect, direct3d transform and direct3d clear mode together, the black borders disappears, but sadly, it also seems to cause glitches in super mario 64. Is project 64 version 1.7 no longer being developed? I really don't understand why ocarina of time and majora's mask seems to be working really well with amazing graphics, while super mario 64 suffers from black borders.

Last edited:
R

raganinjo

Because emulator is not an original console!Emulation never be perfect.Happy about what is,man.

Toasty

Sony battery
I just don't understand why games like Zelda OOT and MM runs perfect in 16:10 with amazing graphics while SM64 suffers from black borders?
Ask Nintendo to be more consistent in making their games emulator-hack-friendly. ;)
[/sarcasm]

Basically, the games are designed to be played on a 4:3 television where the borders are covered by overscan. Some games employ graphics routines that can be hacked to show a wider view; others employ graphics routines that either can't be manipulated that way, or are not understood well enough to be manipulated that way.

OP
U

Ultimatium

Ask Nintendo to be more consistent in making their games emulator-hack-friendly. ;)
[/sarcasm]

Basically, the games are designed to be played on a 4:3 television where the borders are covered by overscan. Some games employ graphics routines that can be hacked to show a wider view; others employ graphics routines that either can't be manipulated that way, or are not understood well enough to be manipulated that way.

I see, do you think we will be able to play nintendo 64 games on project 64

there will be a time

when u can make all n64 games work in 16:10 mode on pj64

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
do u think there will be a time when u can make all n64 games work in 16:10 mode on pj64
When I can? Considering the most I've ever done in emulation is an SCHIP emulator, and I doubt I'll ever get into N64 emulator development, no.

Will there ever be a time when someone proficient in N64 emulator programming can make all N64 games work in 16:10? Also basically a no. Some games simply aren't designed in such a way that it can be done.

OP
U

Ultimatium

Well most games seems to be able to, but it requires adjustments direct 3d clear mode as well as override aspect, and it works, graphics are good, and the screen is filled out, but the problem is that it causes glitches in some games. It works in Zelda games but doesn't work in mario 64, sigh. Also, another option might be to run all games in 4:3 mode to avoid switching aspect ratio all the time.

So, here we are, almost eight years later, and project 64 is still going strong. Anyway, it seems like the solution that i mentioned previously still works, but it causes some annoying glitches, such as black squares in super mario 64. Is this going to be fixed some day?

sorry for double post but, just tried another emulator called muppen64, and here there are no black borders in mario 64, hmm...

Last edited: