What's new

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess retexture WIP

OP
Kage no Okami

Kage no Okami

Twilight Princess Retexturer
Due to the 3DS remake of OoT, and the lack of other people working on that project I've, at this time given up on it. This project is far more interesting to me NOW.

"the aim of this retexture was to keep as close to the original texture as possible while still adding what the original developers could not produce due to the technical limitations of the Nintendo 64 and also funding."

This is what the community OoT retexture project was all about. If this project were to become what that was, and with a leader, with contributors, this project could really go somewhere. I'm interested in that somewhere!

However, textures and graphics in gamecube are a bit more advanced than the 64, so it's going to be harder to make good textures that keep the original feel and lookish of the game, yet improve upon it.

That, and they're bigger, so, though it's easier to add little details, it's harder to make it not look like garbage. The way twilight princess itself is made is both helpful and...not. For example, sometimes textures for foliage are all in one texture, other times they're separate. Sometimes the cg artists stretched a texture so much that it's impossible to make it look like a blurry mess without blowing the texture size up to the xbox360 standard of 2048x2048. Sometimes the textures fade into one another, other times you have to draw them that way. Though all textures support fading transparency, most only display 100%.

If anyone wants to contribute, I'm all for it. I don't feel overwhelmed retexturing this game myself, but at the same time it would go a lot faster with more people.

And, Terranigma, no, I don't have the larger screenshots, but I will link to larger ones from now on. And yeah, the menu shot wasn't the best idea, but I only had one Cartoonish texture done at the time.

I've decided I'm going to continue with the current attempts on realism, but not be lazy about it, and leave the cartoonish styling to Skyward Sword.

nicktheslayer

Well, im glad youre leaving the cartoon style alone. After i finish my Ocarina of Time Retro texture hack, i wanted to make TP look like Skyward Sword, lol.

Also, its looking good so far. Id like to see what you can do.

OP
Kage no Okami

Kage no Okami

Considering the image size I work with in order to make it not so blurry, I suppose that I may be cramming details in too tightly.

Regardless, Here's another screenshot comparison of Hyrule Field. I think I might darken and saturate the grass a bit, and the trees need a lot more leaves.
(why do I always notice these things AFTER I'm done uploading it?)

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff10/Indignation_Judgment/ohhaifield.png

If it doesn't crash on me again, I think I'll be taking a break from the field and moving onto the Goron Mines.

straightflushin

I don't think this guy is getting enough approval. These textures are looking great! I'm really glad you decided to steer clear of a more cartoonish look in your project; even though you think you're struggling with a realistic look, it's coming along just fine. The realism is astounding.

I'm ready to help any way I can. Thanks for all the work you're putting into this!

Last edited:
OP
Kage no Okami

Kage no Okami

Thanks straightflushin, I really appreciate it. I guess I've been improving since the first screen shots where I thought that just tiling random stock textures that look vaguely like the original to the ridiculous size of 2048x2048 would look so much better.
As for helping out, as I mentioned before, if anyone wants to contribute to my textures with their own, that'd be extremely helpful and get this project done quite a bit faster than the speed going right now. I have done almost 100 textures, and that's just some scenery, some particles, and some shader effects. Of course, I'm not begging for help, but there you go.

And now for something a bit more on topic: here's Goron Mines in-progress.
Right here.
I dub this place the WORSE place to get a screenshot from, what-with that whole blurry heat-ripple effect which is just made by a bunch of floating, distorting squares, which makes wide-screen shots look terrible.
Best Effect Ever. Just lovely.

I might edit the first post so that includes a progress thing, even though I'm nowhere near close to being done with this, so I and anyone else can get a good idea as to just how close, or far, this project is to being done.

Side note: I just keep making these comments bigger and bigger don't I? >_>

straightflushin

I could imagine how tough it is to get a decent screenshot in there, but that looks really good. Nice effect on the second one. I can't seem to find that button in Photoshop :p.

I'm working on a few textures in the Temple of Time, since that's my favorite part of the game (probably due to nostalgia from OoT). I'll post them here when I've made some serious progress, and you're free to use them/give criticism/totally ignore it/laugh in my face.

Keep up the good work!

OP
Kage no Okami

Kage no Okami

Unfortunately, that's in-game. I actually managed to get a good wide-screen here though: More Goron Mines

I think, aside from the smashbros-esque barrels, that I'm getting better at making the retextures look at least somewhat like the originals.

edit: I changed the first post. I'm not putting a progress thing yet because I really have no idea how many textures each area has since so many are duplicates =_=

another edit: Oh, yeah, and I'm looking forward to seeing your textures of Temple of Time. And, don't worry: I'm not going to totally ignore it or laugh in your face :p

Last edited:

Lnx

Hello,

I would like to offer my support in your endevours to retexture this game. I have been in and out of the retexturing scene (n64) the last few years, however I have not visited in sometime and have created a new account as to stay unknown.

Great work so far and should you wish to contact me, send me an email (I think I provided it in my profile) or a PM with IM details, should you have them and I we could discuss your project.

Regards and good luck.

Lnx.

Last edited:

stepdragon

Hey all,

New to this forum, but I've been working on my own retexture. I'm not trying to overshadow anyone, but I do believe in making textures that look like the originals, just higher resolution.

I'd like to get some input on the parts that I've done, as well as see if anyone wants to help out, or combine efforts. I've got a website where I'm posting updates as I do them. Check it out here. I'm REALLY not very far in the project, but I'm focusing on two main things:

1. Completion - I'm going to see this project to the end, even if I work by myself and take years to do so.
2. Consistansy - I'm VERY BIG on quality control. I'm making sure all textures are within the same color saturation and brightness range. As well as using key textures throughout.

I don't want to highjack this thread, I'm asking for support, and offering it at the same time (if anyone here wants to join forces that is). For my project, If people become interested in it alone, can post on the mini Forum on my website, or start a different thread. (unless the mods disagree, but that's up to them).

Well thanks for reading. I'll leave you with one screenshot of my ONLY completed area. Note that some things like the HUD and objects from other areas may not be completed.

dolphin2011062713124300.png

OP
Kage no Okami

Kage no Okami

Hey, stepdragon, About your texture pack, it's looking pretty good so far. You're not exactly hi-jacking this thread :p And, yeah, I agree with you on having the new textures look more like the originals. I've been remaking my old "hi-res" textures to look a lot more like the low-res ones. My only complaint to your texture pack is the wood. It looks too....grainy. Quality-wise.

Last edited:

stepdragon

I know, those were some of the first textures I did... Its mainly because of my source material. I'm getting better every day. I just put up some new screenshots on my website of textures I did yesterday. I'm trying to get close, not perfect. You could also notice that I'm making my textures darker. Another reason for the overly textured wood is, that with less texture, it loses the ability to recognize it as wood. and There are some areas where the texture is used smaller, and it doesn't look good if its sized down.

Anyways, I can always redo textures, that's why I'm keeping you all updated.

In other news, I've added a twitter feed to announce when I've done updates. It'll be easier than writing a blog post for every update. I'll keep the blog for major additions, or comments. You can see the feed on my homepage or follow @ZeldaProject

OP
Kage no Okami

Kage no Okami

Yeah, makes sense. Judging by your recent screenshots, you're definitely getting there.

anyways, I might as well get back to uploading screenshots of own my retexture.

So, here's Link's face. the one on top is, of course, the original:

linkface.png

(that's the full size of the picture. It really is just his face and WIP of his hair)

this was taken in 1080p with 9xSSAA.

stepdragon

I like it! I'm terrible at character / Face textures. I'm alright at cloathing, Maybe I'll do some of those later. I cannot for the life of me do hair... My first attempt at wolf link was horrid. (visible in small screenshots, not very noticable)

I'd like to collab with you definately if you can do character textures. If you could, send me a few samples of texture files to see if they'll load on my computer (I heard that there may be issues with that). In return I'll give you access to my texture pack. I'll PM you with my contact details.

EDIT: I just remembered, to get a really good closeup of a face, either get a blue rupee for the first time, or walk right up to a stone wall and move the camera between you and the wall.

Last edited: