What's new

Surreal 64 CE - Development continues!

weinerschnitzel

Surreal64 Nut
Hey guys, with all of the PM's asking about various projects, I think its necessary we properly introduce ourselves. :)

The Xbox lamers have not given up with n64 emulation on the Xbox! Surreal 64 has been a landmark emulator (set of 3 actually) that has undergone many changes and has been in many different hands since its release in January 2004. The CE tag represents the "Community Edition" to recognize everyone that contributed.

The phenomenal work that oDD and Lantus did would be nothing without the work from the developers that call EmuTalk their home.

Over at xbox-scene.com, freakdave, Ez0n3, and myself have been working to improve the n64 experience on the xbox by porting more plugins, 1964 1.1, and improving the launcher that GogoAckman introduced in the XXX releases.

Thanks Azimer, Schibo, Retroralph, Zilmar & the PJ64 crew for responding to our annoying messages and being kind to strangers.

Big Thanks also to the Emu and Plugin developers: Schibo & Rice, Jabo & Zilmar, Epsilon & Realityman, Hacktarux, Azimer, JttL, richard42, death--droid & microdev, and anyone else I forgot.

You can track our progress at: surreal64ce.wikidot.com

We are also in #surreal64ce on EFNET.

Last edited:

Ez0n3

We are hoping to make a great thing even better. If you're interested in participating in any way, we always have the door open and a seat warmed ;)

Big thanks for vast amount of information here and for the the work that has already been put into N64 emulation. :party:

Surreal64 CE Project Wiki

Last edited:

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
I tried surreal back in 2004-2005 and it was an interesting experience to play N64 aside from a real N64 or a N64 emulator on a PC.
Now 6 years later it's still really nice to see that its still developed. Thanks for letting us know and hope to see some more posts regarding the development of your project!

OP
weinerschnitzel

weinerschnitzel

Surreal64 Nut
Thanks for the publicity Martin! We've made some more progress so far and have some new video's showing it off :)

http://surreal64ce.wikispaces.com/Videos

There's a bug in Rice Video 5.60 for Xbox where fog doesn't render correctly. I'm thinking about reverting it to the way it was in 5.10 and 5.31. I saw a change in it while adding AntiAliasing modes for xbox. Otherwise I wouldn't think to mess too much with DirectX. :p

I really like FrankMorris's skin. We're getting close to a release point. Thanks for the contributions!

Last edited:

crispy4004

Will the new version support hi-res texture projects?

Also, do the new plugins and changes improve performance & compatibility?

OP
weinerschnitzel

weinerschnitzel

Surreal64 Nut
Hi res textures is a no. The xbox simply does not have enough memory or power for this. I doubt it would even be possible on xbox's with 128mb of ram. There are other issues with Rice 6 that we would need some help fixing. Issues with smearing tris, missing textures, and some crashes are a few things that are what we are having trouble debugging.

I just went through and reverted the fog code in Rice 5.60 to that of Rice 5.10 and it's working great :) 3 RSP plugins are selectable (Jabo's LLE RSP from PJ64, Hacktarux's HLE RSP, and the continuation from Mupen64Plus) You'll be able to boot more games with an RSP plugin and still be able to choose your desired audio/video plugins. RSP plugins also fix some garbled gfx. Lots of the plugin .libs have been optimized and everything aside from the Rice Video plugins can be compiled for LTCG. So, yes.