What's new

Nemu and Perfect Dark 1.1

SubDrag

Is there any way to load Nemu and Perfect Dark 1.1 in lo res 4 meg mode? Whenever I do it, it seems to not load at all, get stuck right away in some kind of loop.

Last edited:

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
It's a problem with the Nemu64.ini.
There are wrong settings, that will get PD into an infinite loop.
I've started a new nemu64.ini project a lot years ago, but never finished it, so sadly I can't provide the complete proper settings for the game.
But if you delete or rename your ini and start the game again it will work. It will detect the microcode 7 and start the 1.1 version without problems.
Btw: Are you the SubDrag of RWP? Nice to see you posting here.

OP
S

SubDrag

Oops, I didn't phrase my question right. Is there any way to load Nemu and PD 1.1 in lo res (4 Meg mode). It works amazing in 8 meg mode. It loops at 70001938, beq to itself, maybe a protection/lockout? Nopping it did not help, but does get it to show the PD Copyright on the top or something like that, before crashing/constantly going to exception handler.
Yes it's me :)

MasterPhW

Ahh, I c what you did there.
I just read through my N64 dev docs and found out, that it seems to be a problem with the RSP memory registers, to be specific the SP Registers.
According to my docs:
SP_MEM_ADDR_REG (0xA4040000) - Location to DMEM or IMEM to write to, commonly zero.
Bit 12 selects (1) IMEM or (0) DMEM. So to transfer to/from starting at 0 write 0x1000 for IMEM or 0x0 for DMEM to this register.
Nemu64 states, that PD 1.1 in 4MB Ram mode writes an invalid value to this place.
The problem is, that nemu64 has a non changeable rsp directly included into the emulator, so it seems that there's no way to fix it sadly.
The source of nemu64 0.8 sadly was never released only the gfx plugin had a source release (located here), but that won't help you... sorry.

OP
S

SubDrag

Does it sound like misemulation, or something weird the game does? If it's something weird the game does you might be able to bypass it by changing the ROM. So it's during a copy of ROM to RAM? Wonder if you can breakpoint on that address in Nemu.

MasterPhW

I really dunno. There's where my N64 knowledge ends. It's very limited... :(
You could probably try the different rom versions that has been fixed or overdumped or even the to see, whether it's the game or the emulator. It could also be, that even when PD 1.1 is listed as [!] it's still a bad rom, so I really don't know.
Sadly Lemmy never released the source of his almighty debugger, so it hasn't been ported to another emulator which is capable in running the rom, so we could get more information.