What's new

Glide 64 Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glide 64 causes my Project 64 to crash. I do not know what the problem is. If I got to the "Advanced options" So that I can set up my high res and when I go back into my options it crashes.

I tried it with 1964 and encounter the same problem. Help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a noob at this.

OP
P

piggofdoom

Pigg
I have a NVIDA GeForce 310 M
I updated the drivers

I am fairly certain that I have the most updated version of glide64, unless that is not the one on their website.

nominal

I'll just post this here so that I don't create a new thread:

Problem
I don't know why, but both PJ64 (1.6/1.7 -- yes, both) and 1964 have been crashing with the recent Glide video plugin. I am using "WIP build. revision 231" at the moment. My operating system is Windows 7 32-bit.

The plugin ONLY crashed when I enabled Rice texture enhancement. I tried every combination of options (I checked/unchecked various boxes, texture compression, ran all emulators in UAC/Windows Vista/Windows XP mode), and still...it'd crash. So, I reinstalled every emulator to another folder on my desktop (so that I wouldn't have to deal with running in "admin" mode) -- and re-downloaded the plugins. Still nothing. I tried everything again, and took note of "when" the emulators were crashing. PJ64 would crash during texture loading, and 1964 would crash after the start screen (in Majora's Mask). And then, I had an idea!

The fix
Because 1964 actually loaded the game and the textures, I ran it, let it load, and exited out. I then took the "cache" that the Glide plugin under 1964 made, and copied it to the cache under my PJ64 directory. Ran PJ64, and voilà it works. Apart from my computer not being able to run the game at 60 V/I all the time (pretty much during the motion blur...but even when I turn it off (Alt + B), whatever, this is not the place.), it runs great. So, here are some steps if anyone else is having this same problem.

1. Install PJ64 and 1964 to their respective directories of your choosing. You'll be doing the following steps in both emulators.
- if you're on Vista/Windows 7, I'lll special instructions in Blue.
2. Download the latest Glide plugin. Here.
3. Extract the Glide zip file, and open the folder.
4. Copy: Glide64.dll, Glide64.ini, GlideHQ.dll to the correct plugin folder of each emulator.
5. Copy: glide3x.dll to the same folder as the emulator (NOT THE PLUGIN SUB-FOLDER)
6. Install the appropriate texture pack. The problem I had was with bluedart's Hi-Res Majora's Mask, so you might too.
7. Ok, open up the emulator.
- Vista/7 users -- Right click on the emulator, go under the Compatibility Tab, and check "Run this program as an administrator".
8. Set the video plugin to the Glide plugin, and then open up the "video settings"/"configure graphics plugin".
9. Under BASIC SETTINGS tab
- Change your Windowed and Full screen resolutions to your choosing.
- Check box "Show advanced emulation options" and "Show texture enhancement options"
10. Click OK, open up "video settings"/"configure graphics plugin" again.
11. Under EMULATION SETTINGS tab
- Check box, enable frame buffer emulation
12. Under TEXTURE ENHANCEMENT tab
- Format: select Rice Format
- check box: alternative CRC calculation, Compress texture cache (both of them), Save texture cache to hard disk.
- Texture cache: 300mb
- Hit OK
13. Start emulation using 1964 (not PJ64). Hopefully it runs. Once the game starts, exit out.
14. Under the 1964 plugins directory, there should be a folder called "cache". Copy that folder to the plugins folder under PJ64.
15. Run PJ64, yay!
So I guess the problem is that under PJ64, Glide won't make the cache file, but 1964. Oh well, hope this fix helps some of you out.

EDIT: I do realize you could end up getting a few (notorious) error codes in PJ64:
Fault Module Name: GlideHQ.dll
Fault Module Version: 1.2.0.9744
CN64System::LoadFileImage - Exception caught
Files D:\My Programs\home\Project64\project 64 1.7\Source\N64 System\N64
Class.cpp
Line 326
If either of those appear again, just exit out (you'll probably be forced to quit anyway). Re-open, change the video plugin back to Jabo's plugin. Start the rom, exit out. Change the video plugin back to the Glide plugin and you should be gold!
Additionally for users running Windows 7, right click on PJ64.exe and go to the compatibility tab. From the pull down menu select "Windows Vista SP2". You should be good to go!

Last edited:

Rueckkoppler

Hey, I tried what you wrote, but 1964 doesn't seem to load the high-res textures of Majoras Mask. I put them in ...\Plugin\hires_texture\ZELDA MAJORA'S MASK. Also enabled everything what you suggested. There's also no Cache folder in my 1964 folder and it doesn't seem to create a texture cache at all!

edit: 2 Months later: GOT IT!!!!!

What did I do?

1. I downloaded a fixed GlideHQ.dll from here: http://www.emuxhaven.net/forums/showthread.php?7189-GlideHQ-HRT-crashes-with-multicore and replaced it with the one in the Plugin folder (all the other Glide-Files are from the most recent Napalm release!).

2. I did what you wrote ;-) getting the cache folder with 1964 and putting it in the Project64 folder, after all.

These are the settings I used:

Later I changed "Enhancement" to "None"!

Thanks for your help anyway, I hope to have completed this tutorial for everyone who had the same problems!

Okay, there's a texture Problem. I don't see the water texture...?!

Last edited:

totatola

Insane... I feel G O O D
@Rueckkoppler Turn "Use alpha channel fully" on. You have to do this in order to see the water properly.

totatola

Insane... I feel G O O D
I tried, but it always crashes with an ,,class 372" error... ?!

Hmm... try deleting the existing cache file and create a new one with "Use alpha channel fully" turned on. Also, try using Project 64 1.6 in case you are using Project64 1.7 or 1964. It works fine for me.

Rueckkoppler

Oh yeah, that's it! I just created a new cache with 1964, having the alpha channel on and put it in the P94 folder. Thank you, man!

BTW: Is there a way to override the aspect of a game using Glide? So that you get a (NON-STRETCHED) 16:9 widescreen picture, like Jabo's 1.7 does?

edit: Okay, something more (or less) important: I've got a lot of flickering during cutscenes like transforming to another character... do you have the same problem? Or is it possible to turn it off?

Last edited:

nominal

1. I downloaded a fixed GlideHQ.dll from here: http://www.emuxhaven.net/forums/showthread.php?7189-GlideHQ-HRT-crashes-with-multicore and replaced it with the one in the Plugin folder (all the other Glide-Files are from the most recent Napalm release!).

Because that thread no longer exists, do you know if that fix was incorporated in the latest Glide plugin update? Also, could you upload that file for us?

I wonder if there's anything to note from this thread: http://code.google.com/p/glidehqplusglitch64/issues/detail?id=226

Last edited:

didado

The glideHQ plugin crashes for me to if i turn on "store mode" or other options..

with all the options turned off in "texture enhancement" glide64 works normally and doesn't crash.. :icecream: :chinese:

Raulin1980

Hi, I'm new here and also new PJ64 player, right now I'm playing LOZ OOT, the thing is that I can't see the soft soils patch in the ground or the arrows that are supposed to appear in the Forest Temple. I've been reading the forum since 10am (right now is 18:00 here) and I've tried everything with no positive results.
I have a PC Windows 7 Ultime OS, Intel Atom CPU D510 1.66GHz and Intel GMA 3150.
I have downloaded all the pluggins, roms, patch, everything and nothing changes, the only thing that works is Jabo pluggin, no Glide64 pluggin, what could it be?

DETOMINE

Any good suggestion? If you point me in a right direction I might buy one today, but I wish someone can enlighten me with good GPU for my PC, I can't buy just whatever I want that looks "good".
Emulation is not really intensive for the GPU, it is more the CPU that matters, but you still need 2.0 OpenGL compliance if I remember correctly for Glide64.
Anyway any mid-range card should do the trick, since you will rapidly be bottlenecked by your CPU.

I can help you if you want, but keep in mind that your CPU is weak (no offense intended), and I don't even know what kind of port your PC have (PCI express? AGP? Look like your PC is a laptop (Atom...), so it may even have some kind of proprietary port... and you will have difficulties to upgrade your GPU).

Last edited:

Raulin1980

Emulation is not really intensive for the GPU, it is more the CPU that matters, but you still need 2.0 OpenGL compliance if I remember correctly for Glide64.
Anyway any mid-range card should do the trick, since you will rapidly be bottlenecked by your CPU.

I can help you if you want, but keep in mind that your CPU is weak (no offense intended), and I don't even know what kind of port your PC have (PCI express? AGP? Look like your PC is a laptop (Atom...), so it may even have some kind of proprietary port... and you will have difficulties to upgrade your GPU).

Actually I know it is, no offense taken ;) My PC have PCI express and it's not a laptop it's a desktop, it is for my niece cause she's right now into a lot of games, not only the emulators which she right now is trying to play, but also with a lot of other PC games that I already told her it's gonna be a lot more complicated than just install and play.

DETOMINE

My PC have PCI express and it's not a laptop it's a desktop
If I needed a cheap card, I know I would take a Radeon HD 6570. But be careful, it is a cheap card, so you shouldn't expect wonders.
(Need at least a Power Supply of 300W)

It should be enough to play games with project64 1.6 and the default plugins (and Glide64). Some very demanding games like Perfect Dark may run slow.

If you're willing to pay a little more, a Radeon HD 7770 is far better but :
-more expensive
-Need at least a Power Supply of 450W
-might be rapidly bottlenecked by your CPU

edit : no Nvidia there of course, cheap and Nvidia don't go together well

Status
Not open for further replies.