What's new

On the road of accuracy

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
What a great feeling to see this place living again!

A few weeks ago, i was missing n64 development for the first time since years and started a new project, i don't know if this new project will be usable as it is strongly focused on accuracy but at least it is fun to do and it may interest other people once it is more advanced. Anyway i will keep you informed of the progress as soon as i have something i can show and it will be my stone to revive emutalk :)

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
A bsnes approach in N64 emulation? Sounds to good to be true!
But it's the allmighty Hacktarux! Looking forward to see the first information and results.

Martin

Administrator
What a great feeling to see this place living again!

A few weeks ago, i was missing n64 development for the first time since years and started a new project, i don't know if this new project will be usable as it is strongly focused on accuracy but at least it is fun to do and it may interest other people once it is more advanced. Anyway i will keep you informed of the progress as soon as i have something i can show and it will be my stone to revive emutalk :)

Hey Hacktarux that's great news! Good to see you again btw :)

ihearpixels

BSNES approach to N64?
You got to be shitting me.

SNES != N64

BTW: Plugins are evil. DONT allow them or use them.

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Well even if it doesn't work now it will when computers get faster, that plus it doesn't necessarily mean cycle accurate, more accurate than what we have now would be good.

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Good to hear Hack. That is my intention too except my goals are crazier yet. Perhaps we could have a joint venture if our ideas align.

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
I am not sure it can be crazier than what i am doing but who knows :p

A little update on project status: pif rom is executed, and rom boot code too. I am currently working on pi dma.
It may seem very basic but it is quite long to do it the way i'm doing it: the 5 stage pipeline of the r4300 is emulated with some of the subtle details like register bypassing between stages, and all the interlocks and exceptions. It emulates the instruction and data caches as well as the write buffer. I am even trying to measure the cop0 hazards mentioned in the processor user guide. I have tried to measure all timing for peripheral I/O (that is why simple stuff like pi dma can take a long time to implement because i have a lot of measurement to do on real hardware.

HDL

Will this be cross-platform? I hope there are plans to at least make it portable. Would be sweet.