What's new

ZSNES 151+142 SERIOUS problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vboy

EmuCrazy
I have two versions of ZSNES. 1.42, and 1.51. I would prefer to use 1.51. But it seems that the music is skippy at times. It's fine, but there's a VERY small but extremely noticeable sort of slow down with some instruments in games like Final Fantasy III. It seems like most people don't notice, some even consider ZSNES the best which is far from true compared to SNESGT and Snes9x 1.52. But on to 1.42...

1.42 doesn't load with sound anymore. You can load a savestate with sound just fine, but after you enter a new area in a game (ex. Final Fantasy III) it will screw up really bad. For example I have a savestate where I'm fighting the last part of Kefka, I get killed and I'm back to my last savepoint. All sound effects are ok, but Kefka's tower music is using all of the instruments from the last boss music, mixed with garbled up drums and stuff. Chrono Trigger emits a glass breaking high pitched beeping noise whenever I even load the rom, and Mario Paint sounds like it's possessed. Any help?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
What sound options ZSNES currently uses? If all else fails, delete zsnesw.cfg and try again. Are you sure that your ROMs are good?

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
use 1.52.
You can get them here.
I'm feeling old, after visiting Iphers site to note that his CVS Compile is gone for nearly 3 years now and ZSNES hadn't a release since then...
Probably it will come back in future. Like Zinc/Impact/PSemuPro and ePSXe will, too. ;)

Clements

If you are playing Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger, I'd recommend you save in-game, and then use the latest developmental WIP of Snes9x to continue if at all possible:

http://www.snes9x.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=28904#28904

It has great sound with these games and the requirements are low enough to run on your Pentium 4 easily. ZSNES still does not output sound from these games correctly yet (not until ZSNES 2.0). Don't get me wrong, I love ZSNES, but I wouldn't use it for these games and several others (Star Ocean, SA-1 games etc).

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
That's interesting, I never knew that. Do you have any examples of sounds that sound better on Snes9x or are wrong in Zsnes?

Clements

Chrono Trigger's Heckran cave is one famous example, various sound effects in FFVI such as Ultima spell etc are slightly off too. ZSNES gets various SFX in Super Mario World wrong as well.

Toasty

Sony battery
Super Mario RPG is another one that plays pretty flawlessly in SnesX9 but has some graphics/sound glitches in ZSNES.

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
Ah yea, I noticed some things sounded off in Chronotigger and Mariokart. I always assumed it was a limitation shared by all emulators. Is Snes9x faithful to the real system then?

Clements

For a long time what you say was exactly the case - the sound emulation was indeed off in many emulators. However, relatively recently, a lot of work has been done by people such as anomie and later, blarrg, to improve Snes sound emulation. Some of this work made its way into bsnes, Snes9x 1.52 and subsequent WIP releases, but not ZSNES as yet.

Alegend45

Just use bsnes/balanced. Seriously. If you can't run that full-speed, you're not just using an ancient computer. You're using a fossil. Hell, my 2007 laptop can run it.

EDIT: Sorry, thread necromancy is accidental.

Status
Not open for further replies.