What's new

Direct3D Failed to Initialize

Jay Navi

At first, I wan't getting any video with the game (OoT) and so I checked the "Rules" thread. It said to make sure the updates for the OS were installed. I installed all the updates that my OS (Windows 7) had available. My computer restarted and now when I start up the Pj64, an Error message comes up saying "Direct 3D failed to initialize. Error Code: 8876086A. D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE".

After that, another Error message come up saying "The default or selected video plugin is missing or invalid. Check that you have at least one compatible plugin file in your plugin folder." Then it takes me to the Settings menu.

I've removed it and installed it again, but the same thing happened. I'm completely at a loss here. Could somebody please help?

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Did you just update your system or also the required runtimes?
It seems, that your direct x is out of date, update it with the web installer to the most recent version.
It would be clever, to use an all-in-one updater like this (x86 or x64) to have your system up-to-date

OP
J

Jay Navi

OK so I downloaded both of those and I'm still getting the error message. As for your question, I downloaded everything that was in Windows Update.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
What graphics card/chip do you have? I suggest that you update your graphics card's drivers if you haven't done so. Outdated/broken drivers can cause something like this.

OP
J

Jay Navi

I have no idea where to look for that. I only know how to run computers. I don't know how to fix them or where most everything is.

Agozer

Start --> Run, type in dxdiag and run it. The DirectX Diagnostics Tool should pop up. Check the Display tab for specifics pertaining to your graphics hardware.

You really should make a small effort to know a few basics things about your computer. Filesystem/file/folder structure, where the most-used programs are, what hardware you have, etc. If you don't know these things, there is plenty of help available on Google alone. It does pay off in the long run, seeing how for example, we need varying amounts of information only you can provide. We can nudge you in the right direction, but that's about it.

OP
J

Jay Navi

I ran the diagnosis and this is what came up:

D-XDiagresults.png

I also checked the Help but it didn't help me very much. It said to do some things with the advanced settings in the screen resolution, which I checked and it was already done, and it also said to download DirectX9, which I already did.

Agozer

You have a serious problem with either your DirectX installation or graphics card drivers, though I'm leaning towards the latter. Seeing that screenshot, it's obvious that DirectX is unable to get any kind of information regarding your video card, thus rendering most applications that use Direct3D or DirectDraw (like Project64, which uses Direct3D for graphics) unable to function in one way or another.

Hece "Error Code: 8876086A. D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE"

Just out of curiosity, did you install every single update available, including supposed driver updates for your hardware?

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Every update that was available at the time, I downloaded and installed.
I c what u did there.
The WHQL drivers provided by windows update are tested on as much as possible configurations, but often MS fails to deliver an error free update, that's the reason I ALWAYS update my gfx my own. What gfx card are you using? Download the newest one e.g. at guru3d and tell us what dxdiag tells you after restart.

Agozer

I c what u did there.
The WHQL drivers provided by windows update are tested on as much as possible configurations, but often MS fails to deliver an error free update, that's the reason I ALWAYS update my gfx my own. What gfx card are you using? Download the newest one e.g. at guru3d and tell us what dxdiag tells you after restart.
I think that's one of the fundamental problems here: the OP knows next to nothing about his hardware; it's futile trying to ask what graphics card he has. The reason I told him to run dxdiag was for him to find out this info.

Although I agree, you should never update hardware drivers directly from Windows Update. That's just asking for trouble and then some. Perhaps the OP should just roll back the updates with System Restore and only install the mandatory ones.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jay Navi

I downloaded the first link "ATI Catalyst", restarted my computer after the installation and just ran dxdiag. It's the same thing.

D-XDiagresults1-28-11.png

Agozer

You really shouldn't download any graphics card drivers before you know for certain what graphics card/chip you have. Downloading wrong drivers gets you nowhere at best, and can really screw up your computer at worst.

I suppose it would be best if you'd roll back to a System Restore point created before you installed all the updates, and then run dxdiag again to see if DirectX has better understanding about your system information.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jay Navi

I suppose it would be best if you'd roll back to a System Restore point created before you installed all the updates, and then run dxdiag again to see if DirectX has better understanding about your system information.

OK. So where do I go for the System Restore?

OP
J

Jay Navi

Alright. So I ran the System restore back to the point where I installed Pj64. Or, rather, just before the installation (because I apparently don't have it in the folder I had it in, but that's beside the point) and just ran the dxdiag again. This is what it came up with:

D-XDiagReults1-29-11.png

So, I'm guessing the 3D-thing will not be a problem (at least not like the problem was before). However, that would still leave the issue of having only sound. Now, so I don't make the same mistake again, I'll take a screen shot of my Windows Update (because the updates should be there) and you guys can tell me what not to update.

Win-update1-29-11.png

It took a little while because I edited the "Important" and the "Optional" updates together using Paint. I probably could've left the "Important" one out, but I figured you should know all that was available at the time. I'll hold off on the Windows Update, but iTunes was updated after Windows and it was undone because of System restore. So, I'm gonna do iTunes but hold off on Windows until I hear back from you guys.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Well at least now we know what video drivers you need, you have a nVidia card, you can get new drivers for that on nvidia.com, thats why ATI drivers wouldn't work.

Get drivers for your video card here:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Select Geforce in first box and Geforce 6 series in the 2nd box, select 'Geforce 6600 GT' from the third box. The site should fill the last two boxes in for you.

Try that

As for what not to update, I'd guess it'd be a better idea to get your drivers from the source directly rather than from Microsoft, all the 'optional' ones bar one listed are pretty much drivers, you should be able to install the important one without incident. But to be very specific I would avoid installing the optional nvidia updates.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jay Navi

OK, so I did what you told me to do then I thought I'd restart my computer to make sure it updated. I ran dxdiag again and...

D-XDiagResults1-31-11.png

This makes me angry and sad at the same time.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Sorry about that - this is weird, it kind of defies common sense, I mean it is a nVidia card and those are nVidia drivers, it shouldn't be causing this problem.

I recommend reverting back to what you had before the same way you did last time for now