Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Direct3D Failed to Initialize

At first, I wan't getting any video with the game (OoT) and so I checked the "Rules" thread. It said to make sure the updates for the OS were installed. I installed all the updates that my OS (Windows 7) had available. My computer restarted and now when I start up the Pj64, an Error message comes up saying "Direct 3D failed to initialize. Error Code: 8876086A. D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE".

After that, another Error message come up saying "The default or selected video plugin is missing or invalid. Check that you have at least one compatible plugin file in your plugin folder." Then it takes me to the Settings menu.

I've removed it and installed it again, but the same thing happened. I'm completely at a loss here. Could somebody please help?

Master of the Emulation Flame MasterPhW's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Did you just update your system or also the required runtimes?
    It seems, that your direct x is out of date, update it with the web installer to the most recent version.
    It would be clever, to use an all-in-one updater like this (x86 or x64) to have your system up-to-date
    The Future of Emulation: Emulate a High End Computer on a Low End System
    Main: Intel Core i7 (Lynnfiled) 860 (@3.802Ghz) | 8 GB DDR3-1333 | ATI XFX HD 5750 PCI-E | ATI High Definition Audio Device | 256 GB SSD + 3 TB Internal SATA2 + 4 TB external | Windows 7 Professional X64 SP1 MSDNAA
    Netbook: Asus EeePC 1015PEM | Intel Atom Dual Core N550 (1,5GHz) | 2GB DDR3-1066 | Intel GMA 3150 | 250GB HDD | Win 7 Starter
    Old One: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (2x2.5Ghz; S939) | MSI KbT Neo2-F V2.0 | 2x1GB Corsair Value VS1GBKIT400 | Radeon HD 3850 512 MB/AGP8x | Creative SB Audigy LS | 2TB (4x500GB SATA2 HDDs Raid0) | Windows 7 Business X64 SP1 MSDNAA

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    OK so I downloaded both of those and I'm still getting the error message. As for your question, I downloaded everything that was in Windows Update.

16-bit Corpse | Moderator Agozer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What graphics card/chip do you have? I suggest that you update your graphics card's drivers if you haven't done so. Outdated/broken drivers can cause something like this.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have no idea where to look for that. I only know how to run computers. I don't know how to fix them or where most everything is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Start --> Run, type in dxdiag and run it. The DirectX Diagnostics Tool should pop up. Check the Display tab for specifics pertaining to your graphics hardware.

You really should make a small effort to know a few basics things about your computer. Filesystem/file/folder structure, where the most-used programs are, what hardware you have, etc. If you don't know these things, there is plenty of help available on Google alone. It does pay off in the long run, seeing how for example, we need varying amounts of information only you can provide. We can nudge you in the right direction, but that's about it.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I ran the diagnosis and this is what came up:

I also checked the Help but it didn't help me very much. It said to do some things with the advanced settings in the screen resolution, which I checked and it was already done, and it also said to download DirectX9, which I already did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You have a serious problem with either your DirectX installation or graphics card drivers, though I'm leaning towards the latter. Seeing that screenshot, it's obvious that DirectX is unable to get any kind of information regarding your video card, thus rendering most applications that use Direct3D or DirectDraw (like Project64, which uses Direct3D for graphics) unable to function in one way or another.

Hece "Error Code: 8876086A. D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE"

Just out of curiosity, did you install every single update available, including supposed driver updates for your hardware?

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Every update that was available at the time, I downloaded and installed.

Master of the Emulation Flame MasterPhW's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Navi View Post
    Every update that was available at the time, I downloaded and installed.
    I c what u did there.
    The WHQL drivers provided by windows update are tested on as much as possible configurations, but often MS fails to deliver an error free update, that's the reason I ALWAYS update my gfx my own. What gfx card are you using? Download the newest one e.g. at guru3d and tell us what dxdiag tells you after restart.
    The Future of Emulation: Emulate a High End Computer on a Low End System
    Main: Intel Core i7 (Lynnfiled) 860 (@3.802Ghz) | 8 GB DDR3-1333 | ATI XFX HD 5750 PCI-E | ATI High Definition Audio Device | 256 GB SSD + 3 TB Internal SATA2 + 4 TB external | Windows 7 Professional X64 SP1 MSDNAA
    Netbook: Asus EeePC 1015PEM | Intel Atom Dual Core N550 (1,5GHz) | 2GB DDR3-1066 | Intel GMA 3150 | 250GB HDD | Win 7 Starter
    Old One: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (2x2.5Ghz; S939) | MSI KbT Neo2-F V2.0 | 2x1GB Corsair Value VS1GBKIT400 | Radeon HD 3850 512 MB/AGP8x | Creative SB Audigy LS | 2TB (4x500GB SATA2 HDDs Raid0) | Windows 7 Business X64 SP1 MSDNAA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast