What's new

Help with It Might Be NES for PS3 (selfboot)

baked penguin

Is it possible to make a self-boot PS1 disc that will work on an unmodded PS3 (and without Linux) if the image is burned onto a black disc? It seems that Sony may have incorporated some other security measures on the PS1 discs beyond using black CDs, but if anyone knows how to make one please let me know.

This is basically an emulation project to get another games format working on the PS3 without having to modify the machine or format the hard drive to install Linux. There may be other emulators which worked on the PS1 format, but IMBNES is the only one I've found so far.

If anyone knows any other ways of getting emulators to work on a standard, fat 80gb PS3 without modding it etc, please let me know this too :)

If only PS3 homebrew was as simple as the Dreamcast!!

Allnatural

Is it possible to make a self-boot PS1 disc that will work on an unmodded PS3 (and without Linux) if the image is burned onto a black disc? It seems that Sony may have incorporated some other security measures on the PS1 discs beyond using black CDs, but if anyone knows how to make one please let me know.
The fact that the discs are black is inconsequential as far as security is concerned. It was an aesthetic choice on Sony's part (they did look really cool at the time).

To answer your question, no, you can't play a burned disc on an unmodded PS3.