What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Edge Detection + Bloom shaders

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
Thought I'd share a recent discovery of mine. I know for a fact this has been done before, it's kind of old news for some of you guys.

I'm talking about using enbseries with directX video plugins. Specifically, the re4 build but with a converter that makes it work with dx8 plugins (Jabbo's, Rice/1964). I have only been able to get this to work with Mudlord's Rice's 6.1.4, but I suspect that it could work with the latest version of 1964 and Jabbo's since they both use dx8. I've always had problems with these plugins, so my thinking is that it is something to do with my hardware and not an actual "incompatibility".

The only problem is that this makes the plugin a little more bug-prone, very similar to the weird glitches that occur in the dx9 version of Mudlord's Rice's 6.1.3 where geometry warps for seemingly no reason. Besides that, the shaders get applied over the HUD since there's no way to really implement rules to stop that from happening.

Here's a pack that includes everything you need to get these effects working with a dx8 plugin. Link. Would like to mention that I have done almost nothing to any of these files. The enbseries.ini and effect.txt files have been tweaked slightly, but besides that they are as I downloaded them originally (parts from an enb implementation designed for Assassin's Creed 2, parts from one designed for Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst).

The settings are very easy to reconfigure, just change the values in enbseries.ini. If you don't want to use the 'edge-tracing' shader, modify effect.txt or delete it.

OoT screen w/ Djipi's pack:
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7702/edgedetect.jpg

Last edited:

cerebus5

The bloom shading properly applied to something like Djipi's pack can really change the appearance. The bloom needs tweaking though - just a little bit can make a nice touch.

OP
Enzo Dragon

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
Yeah, cerebus5. I've been playing with the values. It's VERY easy to change things. I agree that a little bloom can go a long way, I'm not even quite satisified with what I've worked out so far but it looks better than it does in that screen.

OP
Enzo Dragon

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
I know what you mean, fernan, but I do not know myself what to do about that.

The edges would definitely look better smoother and slightly thicker.

OP
Enzo Dragon

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
Nice, thanks. Sorry but, I don't know how to use your files... Can you help me plz? :whistling
Drag and drop into your Project 64 install directory then use a Direct X plugin, preferably Mudlord's Rice's 1.6.4.

That's it.

I've actually come a little ways in tweaking these to make things look better. I'll up some screens and the modified package later on.

MaXiMuMMaXiMuS

Drag and drop into your Project 64 install directory then use a Direct X plugin, preferably Mudlord's Rice's 1.6.4.

That's it.

I've actually come a little ways in tweaking these to make things look better. I'll up some screens and the modified package later on.

Just so nobody is mislead I believe he means Mudlord's Rice video 6.1.4. :)

Nice work though. I discovered ENBseries through this forum. I haven't been using it lately though since the latest Glide WIP is more accurate and has less bugs, but unfortunately doesn't support these shaders (or a certain amount of high-res textures). Too bad there's no perfect plugin, each seems to have its ups and downs.

ihearpixels

Thats because Glide itself does not support shaders. It only is able to emulate such functionality, since the combiner flexibility is so great. And Voodoo HW never supported shaders.

So, the wrapper needs to have these additions. But even then, the wrapper source is a utter mess. And I am not in the mood to fix it. Granted, SSAO and stuff would be dead easy if the framebuffer method was completely changed to use FBOs only and the combiner rewritten. And the texture handling to allow allocating of framebuffer pairs of color/depth textures easily.

OP
Enzo Dragon

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
Thats because Glide itself does not support shaders. It only is able to emulate such functionality, since the combiner flexibility is so great. And Voodoo HW never supported shaders.

So, the wrapper needs to have these additions. But even then, the wrapper source is a utter mess. And I am not in the mood to fix it. Granted, SSAO and stuff would be dead easy if the framebuffer method was completely changed to use FBOs only and the combiner rewritten. And the texture handling to allow allocating of framebuffer pairs of color/depth textures easily.
Maaaan. You can't just say those kinds of things willy nilly like that, you're making me drool.

Seriously though SSAO IN n64 games?! I am thoroughly surprised no one has made this a reality. Would look -amazing-.

elruez

Pleeease reup the files. I am so eager to get shaders to work with rice video 6.1.4 but am not capable of doing it myself!!
Please help!