What's new

GDI to CHD

Nologic

Dreamcast GDI to Mame CHD Converter

Snap1.png

[Linky]

This is a quick AutoIt script that will have CHDMan batch convert GDI game disc images to the Mame CHD format.

Why do this? Well simple...a huge space savings over uncompressed GDI's. The resulting CHD files can be used with Demul for DC emulation.

Anyways here is an example using "Crazy Taxi v1.004 (1999)(Sega)(NTSC)(US)[!][6S 51035]"

zip = 105mb
chd = 118mb
gdi = 1.10gb

So while not as small as a GDI thats zip compressed...it's certainly smaller than the uncompressed GDI.

You will of course have to use the gdrCHD plugin.

FYI the GDI's can be in archives (7z, rar, zip) or uncompressed in sub folders of the Parent folder, since the app does support recursion of sub folders.

C:\Parent Folder\Game 1\Game 1.gdi
C:\Parent Folder\Game 2\Game 2.gdi
C:\Parent Folder\...\...

Note:
At present I have no way of reversing the conversion from CHD to GDI, so PLEASE do not delete your compressed GDI's.

Scratch that...I do now: [Linky]

Last edited:
OP
Nologic

Nologic

Hey DJ hows it going?

Nah there shouldn't be anything needed other than the two files in the archive.

Now you are trying to convert GDI's correct and not CDI's...as I know you where chatting with Frequency or someone else about CDI's.

This should work fine with GDI's provided by ether Tosec or Redump...course your own matching GDI dumps will work as well.

Anyways if you can get me some more details maybe we can solve the problem you are having. :)

DJ Infinity

No there is no problem at all except my sleepy ass gettin excited when I saw conversion and didn't read completly thru. Thanx again :) while I have your attention though is there a way to get past the error on initial d to get it to run in Demul?

Last edited:
OP
Nologic

Nologic

Not that I'm aware of...I seen it marked as playable somewhere...but no clue how they got there...as it seems part of the system isn't emulated yet.

OP
Nologic

Nologic

*Update 1*
CHDMan to 139u3 & added BIN\CUE detection for other systems than Dreamcast.

*Update 2*
Added support for the following archive formats 7z, rar, zip. This means you no longer have to decompress your GDI or BIN\CUE files before being able to convert them over to CHD.

Last edited:

achiles

when I try to covert a gdi to chd, from a zip file it gives the folloing error. line 2708 (file "e:\gdi_to_chd\gdi to chd.exe"): error: subcript used with non-Array variable.

I am putting e:\Silver v1.001 (2000)(Infogrames)(NTSC)(US)[!].zip on the first box then putting e:\silver on the second one. The contents of the zip are Silver v1.001 (2000)(Infogrames)(NTSC)(US)[!].gdi ,track01.bin ,track02.raw ,and track03.bin

what am I doing wrong? :unsure:

achiles

well I got i to work I just put the destination folder the same as the output, but I still have a problem it will not work in demul even with the plugin on, if I use the gdi plugin got the .gdi it works but not for the .chd .

OP
Nologic

Nologic

Not sure why you got the error unless for some reason the script didn't find any files to begin with...but that is just a wild guess.

To be honest the Demul authors haven't stated to me or anyone that DC emulation was good when using CHD's...from my brief testing it seemed to work just fine...so hence why I put this out there as an option.

I'm sure this situation will improve as using CHD's over GDI is a major improvement just because of the vast space savings.

I honestly hope more work and research will go into using CHD's for Optical Disc Images over other formats. Meaning Plugin's for other Emu's to use the format and improvements in the format it's self.

If anything I'd love to see VitualCD applications adding support for mounting CHD's.

Anyways if a given game doesn't work yet through the gdrCHD plugin chances are the next release will have things working right.

saga373

hello Nologic I have a doubt the chd images are the same as the gdi images or some data is lost from the gdi image.
and how can I configure the CHDMan to get more compression

Last edited:

MetalliC

Demul developer
if you have doubts - why not convert some .GDI to .CHD, then back to .GDI and check it by yourself ?

by default chdman uses best possible compression. but you can make it worst if you like, using "--compression" switch followed by compression codecs list, which will be used instead of default ones.

Hunk_4TH

It's thinking.....
hello Nologic I have a doubt the chd images are the same as the gdi images or some data is lost from the gdi image.
and how can I configure the CHDMan to get more compression
All my DC GDIs are converted to chd I've yet to see any issues.

OP
Nologic

Nologic

I've updated the link at the start of the thread...and I've updated the script as well.