What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Zelda Ocarina of time Community Retexture Project V6 Development Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

death--droid

Zelda Ocarina of time Community Retexture V6

Downloads
V6 Pack
Please note, please do not redistribute this with other changes or other additions.
You require the latest 7zip to extract these http://www.7-zip.org/

Direct Download(s)
Download now
N64Textures.com HTS

Donate
death-droid

Authors
Code:
mode7
Chieftain459
DCS78
Death-Droid
Driscol
Djipi
Mdtauk
Rice
Kalzenith
Necromagician
sick deal
Elratauru
Zeckron
Railroads
Lewa
chaoszerox
IanSkelskey
blooped out
Amon
TallgeeseIII
Federelli
steftheserb
AaronLite
missingno.
dutchMasta
stwstl5926
turpinator
Donbero
hyperion86
Emarian
nintendoknight
Phantom7

Contributor Information
Below is information that should help any new contributors.
Please note to read the TOS at the bottom of this post.

Currently completed/partially completed Areas
Please note this is not 0 up to date.
Code:
Area        Location            Done?    Remaining textures

Kokiri        Forest                Y    --
Kokiri        Link's House            N    Static Background
Kokiri        Saria's House            N    Static Background
Kokiri        House of Twins            N    Static Background
Kokiri        Shop                N    Static Background, shelves, items
Kokiri        Mido's House            N    Static Background
Kokiri        Know-it-All Bros. House        N    Static Background
Kokiri        Lost Woods            Y    --
Kokiri        Sacred Forest Meadow        Y    --
Kokiri        Sacred Forest Meadow Grotto    N    All

Hyrule        Field                Y    --
Hyrule        Grottos (wood walls & puddles)    N    All except water, grass, chest
Hyrule        Fairy Fountains    (all)        Y     --
Hyrule        Grottos (spider webs)        N    All except webs

Lon Lon Ranch    Main Ranch            P    House exterior, signs, exterior fences
Lon Lon Ranch    Tower                P    Floor, cows, all wood*
Lon Lon Ranch    Stable                N    Static Background
Lon Lon Ranch    House                N    All

Castle Market    Entrance            N    Static Background
Castle Market    Guard House/Poe Hunter's House    P    All except wood
Castle Market    Main                N    Static Background (young & old)
Castle Market    Alleys                N    Static Backgrounds (3)
Castle Market    Temple of Time Entrance        N    Static Backgrounds (2)
Castle Market    Treasure Chest Game        N    All
Castle Market    Bombchu Game            N    All
Castle Market    Shooting Game            N    All
Castle Market    Happy Mask Shop            N    Static Background, shelves, items
Castle Market    Potion Shop            N    Static Background, shelves, items
Castle Market    Bazaar                Y
Castle Market    Bombchu Shop            Y
Castle Market    Alley Room 1 (fat woman)    N    Static Background
Castle Market    Alley Room 2 (bearded man)    N    Static Background

Hyrule Castle    Field                Y    --
Hyrule Castle    Courtyard            Y    --

Temple of Time    Main                Y
Temple of Time    Chamber of Sages    Y

Kakariko    Village                P    Stair sides, bottom of well, some bricks, roofs, signs
Kakariko    Empty House/Potion Shop        N    Static Background, shelves, items
Kakariko    Kid's House/Bazaar        N    Static Background, shelves, items
Kakariko    Adult Talon's House        N    Static Background
Kakariko    House of Skultulla        P    All except webs*
Kakariko    Mayor's House            N    Static Backgrounds (2)
Kakariko    Windmill Hut            N    All except top walls*
Kakariko    Potion Shop 2 (rusted house)    N    All except steam from pots

Graveyard    Main                Y    --
Graveyard    Sun's Song Grotto        Y    --
Graveyard    Hyrule Shield Grotto        Y    --
Graveyard    Dampe's House            N    Static Background
Graveyard    Dampe's Grave            N    All but floor, bones

Death Mtn    Main                P    Red flag
Death Mtn    Grotto (cow)            N    All
Death Mtn    Great Fairy Fountains (all)    N    All
Death Mtn    Crater                N    All

Goron        City                P    Rope, wood, rugs, Darunia statue, wall holes, fabric
Goron        Shop                N    Static Background, shelves, items

Zora        River                Y    --
Zora        Domain                Y    --
Zora        Domain (Ice)            Y    --
Zora        Shop                N    Static Background, shelves, items
Zora        Fountain            Y    --
Zora        Fountain (Ice)            Y    --

Lake Hylia    Main                Y    --
Lake Hylia    Fishing Hole            P    Grass around side
Lake Hylia    Lakeside Laboratory        Y     --

Gerudo        Valley                P    Wood plank, some stone walls, stone-to-dirt transition, wood pillars
Gerudo        Fortress            N    All except ground
Gerudo        Fortress Interior        N    All
Gerudo        Wasteland            N    All
Gerudo        Desert Colossus            N    All

Sky        Day                Y    --
Sky        Dawn                Y    --
Sky        Dusk                Y    --
Sky        Night                Y    --
Sky        Evil/Gray            N    All

Dungeon        Deku Tree            Y    --
Dungeon        Dodongo's Cavern        Y    --
Dungeon        Inside Jabu Jabu's Belly    Y    --
Dungeon        Forest Temple            Y
Dungeon        Fire Temple            N    All
Dungeon        Ice Cavern            Y    --
Dungeon        Water Temple            N    All
Dungeon        Spirit Temple            P    Some
Dungeon        Shadow Temple            N    All except chain

HUD        Opening Menu            Y    --
HUD        Start/Equipment            Y
HUD        Start/Quest Status        Y
HUD        Start/Map            P Missing outer frame, Position Indicator
HUD        Start/Select Item        Y
HUD        In-Game Display            Y

The art aim
This Retexture Project has a style that everyone should follow if they wish to contribute here.
This project does not seek to add a wildly different art style to the game, but to refine the original,
keeping the original 'feel' of the game, and adding to what the original developers could not produce due to technical limitations (and money).
Not making major changes to what everything is interpreted as, and trying to refine the original into a new, upgraded version of the original is our goal.
Sometimes there are exceptions were the originals, or parts of them just don't fit, or make sense for where they are, or what they appear to be.
These are the only exceptions, and can be improvised and creatively worked upon, changing the original or part of it to something that makes sense, fits and keeps with the original 'feel'.
In the end it's the project management that determines if the texture makes it into the pack.

Terms of Submission
When submitting work for the Zelda OOT Community re-texture project you are agreeing to the following.
  • Artwork submitted isn't permanent, and is subject to replacement by work of higher quality.
  • We reserve the right to keep any work submitted in the pack.
  • You reserve the right to have credit for any work submitted by you.
  • You reserve the right to restrict the use of any work submitted by you to this pack.
If anyone dislikes this please just tell me or if you have a better written version please post it

Last edited by a moderator:
I tested the pack and it works perfectly! :)

I've been working on the happy mask shop. It's the hardest one I have been working on by far. The face is quite difficult to replicate specially since the original does not fit correctly with the shelves :p
Also, on the notice board I have put the rules of the Happy Mask Shop translated to Japanese using an online translator. I don't think that its very accurate, but I can't verify it! XD

Anyway, here is the first screenshot. As always, post any suggestions about it :)
Original:

First try:
01first.jpg

OP
death--droid

death--droid

Good job Hyperion, tho there textures do need some improvement in places and the text on the card should be written in Hylian, the font you need is here http://www.zeldalegends.net/index.php?n=fonts under Hylian 64. Of course that means you need to first translate the English text to romaji then translate it by hand to Hylian. The model itself seems quite accurate and correct :)

Emarian

C++ Addict
If I redo the text, what font would you guys recommend? Should I apply a colored outline like before? Any shadows? I found all the PSDs that I used before to retexture the text earlier.

EDIT:
Can someone tell me what font is used in this screenshot? I could re-do the text that needs to be done to be identical to that if need be.

EDIT2:
I believe for the first time the pack is working fine for me on the computer I've had since just a little while after I redid the text the first time. I can really re-do the fonts this time without an issue...but just to verify that all textures are loading properly, I have a few questions:

1. Is the pixelation at the top-right of the screen on the three directional buttons normal? (Maxed AA and AF)
2. And what about this?
3. I thought "Press Start" was already textured? Do I need to re-do that too? Are the lines through the sword and shield normal?
4. I also thought these letters were done too.
5. Should these fonts be made to match? If so, which should be made to match the other?
6. I forgot how to fix this.
7. I thought the place names were also redone too?

If I need to redo more than I expected, that's fine. At least this way it will all be along the same style :). I'll dump and retexture all of the English text, but if someone wants the German/French versions to be retextured too, they'll have to dump those themselves and send them to me (MediaFire is nice).

Also, how do I fix the lag upon loading the start screen?

Last edited:

Donbero

If I redo the text, what font would you guys recommend? Should I apply a colored outline like before? Any shadows? I found all the PSDs that I used before to retexture the text earlier.

EDIT:
Can someone tell me what font is used in this screenshot? I could re-do the text that needs to be done to be identical to that if need be.

EDIT2:
I believe for the first time the pack is working fine for me on the computer I've had since just a little while after I redid the text the first time. I can really re-do the fonts this time without an issue...but just to verify that all textures are loading properly, I have a few questions:

1. Is the pixelation at the top-right of the screen on the three directional buttons normal? (Maxed AA and AF)
2. And what about this?
3. I thought "Press Start" was already textured? Do I need to re-do that too? Are the lines through the sword and shield normal?
5. Should these fonts be made to match? If so, which should be made to match the other?

If I need to redo more than I expected, that's fine. At least this way it will all be along the same style :). I'll dump and retexture all of the English text, but if someone wants the German/French versions to be retextured too, they'll have to dump those themselves and send them to me (MediaFire is nice).

1. Not sure, but it's probably not right.
2. Definitely not normal.
3. Press Start appears low-res to me as well.
4. I get the same thing.
5. Do the fonts match in the regular game? If so, then yes.
6. It's due to a poorly emulated framebuffer, and I never found the right settings to fix it entirely.
7. They appear hi-res in mine.

Menu lag is due to the framebuffer as well.

OP
death--droid

death--droid

@Emarian
I have no idea what the font that was used was, wish I could remember

1. That's not right, what plugin are you using?
2. Thats exactly what mine does :p But its definitely not normal.
3. Appears low res for me as well.
4. Same thing happens to me as well, its weird
5.If the fonts match the original ones in game, then yes.
6. You can't get this working 100% in rice Video but you can still get it partially working, turn off hide advanced options, go to the Game Default Options tab and change "N64 Frame Buffer Emulation" to "Basic Frame buffer".
7.The place names load up as hi-res in mine.

And as Donbero said the menu lag is most likely due to the bad frame buffer emulation present in Rice Video

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
6. You can't get this working 100% in rice Video but you can still get it partially working, turn off hide advanced options, go to the Game Default Options tab and change "N64 Frame Buffer Emulation" to "Basic Frame buffer".

Basic framebuffer with emulator is slightly better. it used to be that writeback and reload was required to get link showing in the subscreen but that doesn't work anymore.

chaoszerox

hires_texture

EDIT:

EDIT2:

2. And what about this?

Are you using the new v5 pack? I am, also I normally use v 1.0 of the ROM

@ your first EDIT
these are the fonts you're looking for
http://www.mediafire.com/?jvl1x227p15f7at

1. Normal, needs to be retextured
2. doesn't show like that for me on any version of the ROM
3. start button may need to be done, not sure. That happens when I use v 1.2 of the rom, use 1.1 or 1.0
4-5. read paragraph below
6. impossible to make it look perfect, what squall_leonhart said about it.
7. The place names use on the HUD have been done and are in the pack but apparently all of them in the pack have the wrong texture names, this is going to have to be fixed by someone, and if no 1 else does it DD needs to.

As far as re-doing any of the fonts or text elements, I don't think there's anything to do, if any not much. I personally think every text element that has been done so far has been perfect. In the original game the whole game didn't use the same font. The main chat text font using the single letters is perfect. It's exactly like the original in every way, but of course hires.
There may be some text elements missing that aren't in the v5 pack, maybe some of the ones you pointed out, I haven't done through searching.
here's some thing's I found that need to be done I found
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx209/cahosanimex/2010 OoT work/cbuttons.jpg
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx209/cahosanimex/2010 OoT work/Abutton.jpg

@DD there is a psd file in the v5 pack under...
LOZ OOT Community Hi-res v5\THE LEGEND OF ZELDA\Laungage\English\Places Names - Complete
MOST IMPORTANTLY DD I think we need to officially support one version of the ROM.

You can read all about the different ROM versions here
http://www.zeldawiki.org/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time

This leafy plant in the pack has been done, but not only does it not look like the original at all, the animation when it is cut hasn't been done. I may give this a shot and try to do it :)
current in v5 pack
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx209/cahosanimex/2010 OoT work/leafcut.jpg

original
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx209/cahosanimex/2010 OoT work/originalleaf.jpg

@hyperion Keep up the awesome work :D it's not something we all here can do, and I'm very glad you have have such 1337 modeling skillz ;)

P.S. something unrelated to the project, but I had no clue existed. I wonder if it has any textures we need to do?
http://www.zeldawiki.org/Fabulous_Five_Froggish_Tenors

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

the title shows fine on all versions of the game. the differences lie in the Plugin used.

This is another point where rice video derivatives loses out to glide64, but then rice video beats that with the panorama's support.

Glide64
289lwuc.jpg

1964/Rice
immijs.jpg

also... fps sucks with Rice for some reason.....

pretty sure the texture loading issues in this case are related to the Alternate CRC issue,

An explanation of the situation with palette CRC bug in RiceVideo.
The bug affects only 4bit CI textures. When “Full TMEM emulation” option is off, RiceVideo takes wrong, I even can say random, palette to calculate CRC. The consequences can be very bad. CRC becomes content-dependent. That is, the same texture can get different CRC in different situations. Besides, if RiceVideo was used in “Full TMEM emulation off” mode to dump textures, created pack will not work when this option is on, and vice versa.
There is no easy way to fix it. That is, the bug itself is easy to fix, I can point on exact places in the code. However, to fix existing texture packs it is necessary to use the fixed version to dump all textures again, and rename created hires textures using correct CRC. This hardly will be done.
The only thing, which can be done – warn all texture designers not to set full tmem emulation off when dumping textures.
As for GlideHQ, I’m trying to reproduce that behavior in my code and I’m partially succeeded. However, some packs still not work. Probably, it’s not the only rake hidden in RiceVideo code.

anyone got that glidehq toolset saved somewhere?

DD? Mode7?

Last edited by a moderator:

Emarian

C++ Addict
@Emarian
I have no idea what the font that was used was, wish I could remember

1. That's not right, what plugin are you using?

1964Video r72

7.The place names load up as hi-res in mine.

7. They appear hi-res in mine.

7. The place names use on the HUD have been done and are in the pack but apparently all of them in the pack have the wrong texture names, this is going to have to be fixed by someone, and if no 1 else does it DD needs to.

Hmm. So do they load up as hi-res or not? Changing the names would be no problem.. I could do that easily.

Anyways, I remember some people didn't like the font I used to make all of the names of items in the menu. I also made the hi-res textures that show when you move from area to area (I call this current position), and I was curious...

Do you guys still think the font of the names of items need to be changed? And if so, would the font I used on the current positions be good?

Example of item name (technically a song name but they're the same):
thelegendofzeldac420311.png

Current Position example:
thelegendofzelda1a88fdb.png

Thanks! I'll make sure to do those..I would never have realized about those otherwise. Let me know if you find anything else like that as I'm not playing through the game again until like maybe V7 or V8 (operating on the assumption that the pack gets that far, hopefully it will).

EDIT:
I don't suppose you have the dumps for these do you? If not I can dump myself.

Are you using the new v5 pack? I am, also I normally use v 1.0 of the ROM

@ your first EDIT
these are the fonts you're looking for
http://www.mediafire.com/?jvl1x227p15f7at

Yes, I'm using 5.7 and ROM version USA 1.1.

Lol, I made those fonts. Stupid me.

MOST IMPORTANTLY DD I think we need to officially support one version of the ROM.

AGREED! In the meantime, what version would you guys suggest? Like I said, I use USA 1.1.

EDIT:
@Hyperion,
Sexy! Nice to see someone working on the backgrounds. :D

Last edited:
OP
death--droid

death--droid

@squall_leonhart, sorry I think I might of lost the glidehq toolset on my old computer. I'll have a look for you but I'm pretty sure I don't have it anymore.

chaoszerox

hires_texture
leafy item-giving plant

original
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx209/cahosanimex/2010 OoT work/originalleafyplant.jpg

From v5 pack
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx209/cahosanimex/2010 OoT work/v5packleafyplant.jpg

my v1
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx209/cahosanimex/2010 OoT work/v1leafyplant.jpg

Thoughts?
I really didn't like the one from the v5 pack, which I believe was also in v4, it looks nothing like the original.
This one I've made has a lot more leafs, and they're not as long, but I still like it, and it's a lot more like the original that the v5 one.
It also makes a bit more sense that an item is hiding there because there are more leafs to conceal it.
This is a rough draft, I plan to fix the leafs that are sticking into the ground, or cut off.

Also about the places names for the HUD, not sure why they're not loading for me...I'll look into it later
@Emarian it's not v5.7 you have it confused with the filename extention .7z (7 zip archive file). It's just v5

Last edited:

turpinator

Piledriver Program Advance!
TBQH, I never liked the new plant, and while yours is nice chaos, I feel sticking to the game's design and just tweaking the res would be better. It irks me to slash grass, and a bush is too much foliage.

@chaoszerox
I like the new plant, and with the fixed leafs chopped by the ground it should look great! Still, as turpinator said is perhaps a little to different from the original but I like it.:)

About the happy mask shop, I have updated most of the textures except for the big face which still needs work. I might redo the whole face mesh.
I have also translated the text on the card to Hylian.
Any comments are welcome, specially on the textures :)

Not sure about that. It looks like the differences between versions are minor, so as long as it only affects a small number of textures, I think it would not be a problem if they are duplicated with different addresses.

again, no.
fix the plugin, not the pack. the texture addresses are the same in each version.

So far I have not found different texture addresses in versions (E)1.0 and (E)1.1 (didn't check that many though). However on the Master Quest edition, I did find some different addresses, specifically the bazaar background and the castle market entrance backgrounds (day and night), which means that there will probably be more.

squall_leonhart

Master Quest is the exception, it more or less changes the entire flow of the game though so this is to be expected.

this is a ocarina of time pack though, not a master quest pack.

pilm

Any comments are welcome, specially on the textures :)
@hyperion86: First, I really like your work on this (and on the backgrounds in general): it looks great — and I'm sure most of the hard work is to get to that point (modeling, textures, angle of camera, etc).

But if you want some feekdback, here are a few things that bother me, compared to the original :
  • The cardboard texture looks like paper ; I think the original tries to depict a slightly darker wood panel.
  • The shadows are gray : in the original, the shadows are way darker — which helps to create the disctinctive weird-creepy feel of this shop. Look for instance at the curtains or at the shadow behind the cardboard. I think the main place for improvement there is to enhance the shadows: it could take the curtains from great to awesome.
  • How about more details on the flowers ? In the original, I see some green dots — maybe what is left of small leaves or details ?
  • I think the texture for the wall had too much details: in the original, it represent large patches of old paint, not high-density roughcast.
I'm really being picky there — you made a great job, and the big face/mask is absolutely great. But if you have more time to spend on the texture, you can start from this :)

@hyperion86: First, I really like your work on this (and on the backgrounds in general): it looks great — and I'm sure most of the hard work is to get to that point (modeling, textures, angle of camera, etc).

But if you want some feekdback, here are a few things that bother me, compared to the original :
  • The cardboard texture looks like paper ; I think the original tries to depict a slightly darker wood panel.
  • The shadows are gray : in the original, the shadows are way darker — which helps to create the disctinctive weird-creepy feel of this shop. Look for instance at the curtains or at the shadow behind the cardboard. I think the main place for improvement there is to enhance the shadows: it could take the curtains from great to awesome.
  • How about more details on the flowers ? In the original, I see some green dots — maybe what is left of small leaves or details ?
  • I think the texture for the wall had too much details: in the original, it represent large patches of old paint, not high-density roughcast.
I'm really being picky there — you made a great job, and the big face/mask is absolutely great. But if you have more time to spend on the texture, you can start from this :)

thanks!

I've changed the board to a white wooden texture, slightly clear (as if it was painted). The flowers have a new mesh and I've added some leaves, and looks better, thanks for the suggestion :)
Also, the new wall texture simulates paint patches with a similar colour, which I like better than the previous one.

chaoszerox

hires_texture
v2 pf the leafy item-giving plant
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx209/cahosanimex/2010 OoT work/v2leafyitem-givingplant.jpg

I now see that this isn't going to work out, if enough people disagree with me I'll make the texture for animation when it is cut.
For the time being I think it's better than the one in the pack.
http://www.mediafire.com/?loo77qdu9fhjad2

@hyperion better, but the shadows under the table/mouth are missing.
I think the white of the mouth should be a little less orange/yellow and more pinkish hue.
Shadow on the wooden thing on the right of the face is too harsh
flowers a bit too big, they like doubled in size, also a little less saturation.
The cloth left of the rightmost one, and the 2 from the right of the leftmost one have too harsh shadows.

EDIT: 365th post, 365 days in a year
EDIT2:Need a special shape? awesome place for vectors
http://www.clker.com/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.