What's new

Best Graphics Plugin?

SquareWheel

I've recently tried to get into the emulator "scene". As it's been around for so many years, a lot of the information I'm finding is very old.

I'm primarily looking to get high resolution graphics working well. There are many different graphic plugins that have been released over the years.

Jabo's Direct3D8 (1.6)
Glide64 ('Napalm WX')
Rice (6.1.1 beta 10)
Mudlord's Rice Video (6.1.4)
Aristotle's Mudlord & Rice Video (6.1.8)
1964Video N64 Video Plugin Community Version (r35)

I believe I've compiled a list of the most recent versions. As I said, much of the information about these is very old so please correct me if I'm wrong. Now, I've tried loading high_res packs with a few of these plugins, and some certainly work better than other. I've found the 1964 Community plugin to work quite well, I believe it is an updated version of the "Aristotle's Mudlord & Rice Video" plugin? I also see Glide64 is recommended quite often, and it seems to be in active development.

1) Which graphic plugin(s) do you recommend today?
2) Is Project64 1.6 still the best emulator, or is 1964 or "Mupen64" a better choice?

I run Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on a 8800GTS, 2.4GHz Core 2 Quad, 4.5GB DDR2 Ram, 1920x1200 Monitor.

Thank you.

super_gamer

Project 64 is definitely the emulator out there for stability and game support, I agree with Agozer on that.

And as for the graphics it varies for the game that you play, I've had to swap between Mudlord's Rice video and Glide 64 when playing Super Mario 64 due to my older graphics card, it just varies.

Glide 64 is just great to use, but be sure to download other graphics just in case if you have any in game issues and you require a swap.

OP
S

SquareWheel

I noticed that Mudlord was banned on these forums so I was a little suspicious of using his plugin. I also assumed that the Aristotle and Community plugins were updated versions of his plugin, although I suppose that doesn't mean that they're better.

I suppose I'll switch over to using Glide for now, then.

Surkow

There is no relation between the Rice plugin and Mudlord being banned. Why would you be suspicious of an open source plugin? There is a fork of Mupen64 called Mupen64Plus. It is currently the most actively worked on Nintendo 64 emulator. Expect a (Windows) GUI in the recent future.

Last edited:

Clements

Glide64 would be a good choice with that kind of hardware setup. Glide64 along with Jabo's plugin can play pretty much most of the games that can be played with N64 emulation.

Project64 remains a good choice for Windows, 1964 is better for more legacy boxes. Mupen64 if you are not using Windows.

death--droid

R67 of 1964 Video isn't to bad at the moment. A lot of code made for low end computers needs to be stripped out and the frame buffer needs to be redone, and texture caching needs some work.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
needs support for aspect ratio control as well, and the framebuffer effects should be done in hardware + upscaling instead of being ugly software drawn effects.