What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

New Paper Mario

OP
Nelde

Nelde

Hmm, problem would be his size and his future appearances...

Yes, the size thing bothers me the most. I don't see much problems in his other appearances:
-I could give him a helmet with a spike on it for the second and fourth form
-Wings may look a little odd, but I guess it isn't that farfetched
-And I'll use his magic paintbrush for the wand

klasa

wow, that paitbrush would be a great idea! By the way, were you able to solve the font issue? (unfortunately the old letters are too narrow for the new mario font imo)

OP
Nelde

Nelde

wow, that paitbrush would be a great idea! By the way, were you able to solve the font issue? (unfortunately the old letters are too narrow for the new mario font imo)

Yes, I have. Thanks. And I think I have the fonts 100 % completed. Yeah, the new font doesn't work too well with the old spaces, but better than nothing :D

Terranigma

Nelde, that looks amazing!!! Incredible!!! Awesome!!!

Now can I say one thing though? Could you remove the poka dots in the grass textures and stuff. They look really weird. I don't remember them being in the original game, and kind of distracting. Other than that, I'm really looking forward to playing this again!

OP
Nelde

Nelde

Toads!

Thank you. Yes, you remember correctly, Terranigma. There weren't any dots in the original game, however I'm borrowing the style from PM2, where there were dots on some of the textures. I've heard it before that people don't like them, so maybe I'll have to do something about them. But I have to say I rather like them :D

So, that you also have something new to look at:

sometoads1.png

From left to right:
Bartender of the Club64, Mario, Goombario, Sushie, Mario Harry T.
Tayce T., Mario, Watt, Fice T., Mario, Goombaria
Red Toad, Parakarry, Mario, Master Poet, Chanterelle.
I replaced the bartender with a Beanish, because he already looked like one and there are these two Beanish bartenders in PM2. And, as you may already have found out, I like to replace things :D

I already redid all of the toads (except for The Master) so now I only have to bring them into the game, which I haven't completed yet. So if you have some constructive criticism on one of the Toads, I'm still able to change it without much effort.
You can view all 45 Toads (and one Beanish) on my dA site.
(By the way, if you're also on dA, write me a message or so, I'd love to hear from you there.)

OP
Nelde

Nelde

Great work ^^ But why not doing something like that ^^:

29n8nqo.png
Although I have to say your mock-up does look quite good, I have several reasons not to do so:
1. There are no such shadows in the official art. I know my sprites appear a little flatter than the official art, but that's because of my individual style *cough* and due to effectiveness. But yeah, the contrast between the base color and the darker color really isn't that big. I'll have to find some kind of solution...
2. While those shadows work well in a single image, they would have to be changed for every single pose. The Paper Mario style is made of individual body parts that are put together to form the character. For example, Mario consists of these parts. If I now added a shadow to his left hand like you suggest, it would work while he is holding it down. But as soon as the hand faces up (jumping) the shadow would look completely weird.
3. I simply don't have the time or motivation to redo everything I've already done :D

I hope you understand what I mean. I really appreciate your advice and comments.

Bonus Pic:

pilm

@Djipi: At first I couldn't spot the differences - but your version is quite nice, Djipi. I just wonder if the gradients won't make the 'paper' effect less noticable : with flat colors, Mario and all the characters look real thin… I don't know : I really like the version with gradients, and seeing it moving would probably prove that the 'paperthin' feel is still there.

@Nelde: I'm amazed by the work you made on the Toad characters, and on the other ones ! I really enjoy this game, and I can't imagine how good it would look with better with remade characters — even without bothering about the other textures at first. I'd be happy to test your characters' pack once it'll be completed ; thanks for this great work !

OP
Nelde

Nelde

So, to celebrate the happy event of me having finished every single environment texture in Goomba Village and Goomba Road, here are some screen-shots:

npmscreen10.png

A comparison between the original textures and my new ones.

npmscreen11.png

Goompa repairing the balcony (he now actually uses the hammer that Mario gets later).

npmscreen12.png

Gooma in her house.

npmscreen13.png

The evil Goombas.

Last edited:
OP
Nelde

Nelde

Thanks to everyone :D
But you still have to wait a little (or a lot) to test this, since I actually listened to your criticism and an now redoing all the character sprites I have done so far with a bigger contrast between the base color and the darker one.
For comparison: Kooper and the evil Goombas already have this improvement, Mario and the good Goombas don't.
It's a rather boring work to do... and exhausting. Especially Mario. But yeah...
Backgroundwise I have no started working on Toad Town. The good thing is that some textures are the same I already did in Goomba Village, so less work for me. :D

Boncey

Awesome Could You Relese A Public Beta Please If Not When Will It Be Finished
Because I CANT Wait

Last edited: