What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

a few questions: about high res texture feature acting funny

webcider

Hey ppl ive been playing through Zelda OOT the Community Texture high texture resolution project and i must say it is incredible work very very impressed. Wish i could some how maybe support with updated music quality to go with the higher graphics ^^ ahh well. (im a composer or wanna be)

With that out the way i got a few problems i want to talk about.

Im using Project 64 with Rice Video 6.4.1 with jabo sound plugin.
Im using Direct X my graphic card has 512 mb ram ehm i got a Dual Core 8400 3 ghz processor. so i think i got the minimal system requirement out of the way now.

First of all Zelda OOT Is hagging (freezes for a small time and then speeds up for getting to the point i am in the game) when i walk around from time to time its only minimal and i assume its because it needs to load those huge textures on the fly which is understandable. I wanna know if i might could smooth this process out or would i need to buy a new Graphic card to be able to enjoy these huge enhancements fully?

Next of all is probably related to the same problem in Super Mario 64 when i use High res textures the camera tends to flick a lot around its really annoying like i got headach after a few minuts the game is playable no graphic errors all textures in the pack are loading the Camera is just acting way to strange.

If you could somehow tell me my problem or need more detail i will be happy to provide them. Thx for reading this and once again amazing work i seriously will consider donating a few donuts if that will be possible in the future to show my respect. Heck thats the least i could do.

Have you tried switching plugins? There are a few hanging around, Glide is pretty good, it's what I use, fixed a few errors I got with Rice. Hope this helps.

OP
W

webcider

Have you tried switching plugins? There are a few hanging around, Glide is pretty good, it's what I use, fixed a few errors I got with Rice. Hope this helps.

Thx for the response will report my results however i can't use Glide in the Zelda Community High Resolution Project as half of the textures won't load if i do.

I do find Glide more accurate but i hope Rice someday will get the same sort of development Glide has.

X-Fi6

Thx for the response will report my results however i can't use Glide in the Zelda Community High Resolution Project as half of the textures won't load if i do.
The problem is that Rice does not support the up-to-date texture specification as Glide64 does.

What are your problematic textures? Normally it is Rice that won't load textures made for the up-to-date spec, not the other way around (Glide loading from first revision spec).

Last edited:

death--droid

X-Fi6 there are almost no difference in the texture specification of Glide64 and Rice, in matter of fact Rice loads static backgrounds in better then how Glide does, Glide requires the background to be split up, Rice does not. Also I've always had problems with loading textures in with Glide thats the reason why i went with Rice.

OP
W

webcider

The problem is that Rice does not support the up-to-date texture specification as Glide64 does.

What are your problematic textures? Normally it is Rice that won't load textures made for the up-to-date spec, not the other way around (Glide loading from first revision spec).

Quite a lot actually nearly all evironmental high resolution textures won't work using Glide64 its very easy to see if i take a screenshot from the same part of the game using both plugins. (Might do that later)

As for Super Mario 64 that did fix the camera problems using Glide64 and all those high resolution textures work. So thats gonna be the plugin i use for Super mario 64.

Im going to explain more detailed why Zelda hags and when its mostly when the Sky is changing from Day to Night i assume the textures involved in this process is just really huge and thats not something my Graphic card can handle but maybe its not would be nice to know if i could smooth out this process or other people have had similary experiences. with the Sky texture. Its also right in the Beginning where the Game loads the Intro logo. (however its not a game breaker)

X-Fi6

X-Fi6 there are almost no difference in the texture specification of Glide64 and Rice, in matter of fact Rice loads static backgrounds in better then how Glide does, Glide requires the background to be split up, Rice does not. Also I've always had problems with loading textures in with Glide thats the reason why i went with Rice.
Rice requires RGBA for all textures unless they're named RGB, thereby breaking compatibility with 99% of the textures I'm fixing in Djipi's mod. Djipi himself did not save appropriate _as for his _RGBs to begin with. Saving an _a for every _rgb would waste a huge amount of space, just for being a hack to get it to work in Rice and still be valid.

Furthermore, Rice doesn't support color indexed textures or any colorspaces (not even greyscale) aside from RGB and RGBA where mentioned above.

I believe the Rice video now maintained by the Mupen64plus devs now supports the standard.

http://bitbucket.org/richard42/mupen64plus-video-rice/src/d678704ba2d7/

Last edited:

Jamrock990

Just wanted to add that I have the same issue. I can tell you it has nothing to do with your video card RAM. I use a 5970 2GB and I will get stuttering as well. It IS understandable with all the large textures in a N64 game such as Zelda that this might happen, but it seems odd that it isn't happening to everyone.

I thought caching the textures to the HD might make things run for smooth, but whenever I try that it gets to the end and says the video plug-in has failed to load (with 1964 rev35.)

I wonder though, the people that aren't having this issue... what plug-ins are you using and system specs?

What OS are you using web?

Jamrock990

Found a fix.

This worked for me. I always had a hunch that this had to do with how the humongous textures were being loaded. Texture caching seemed like a good idea, but whenever I tried to use the cache high-res textures option (using 1964 rev 35) it would give me a runtime error for Project64 about halfway through, turning off the cache would allow me to play Zelda again. Albeit, with some major annoying stuttering.

The fix is simple enough.

Load up Zelda as usual, with the high-res textures loaded. When the game starts, go to configure graphics plugin and now turn on the cache high-res textures option. It will take a moment, and whoila, I had no more stuttering! Solid 20fps as it should be :)

Let me know if this works for you guys. Time to play Zelda in peace now!

OP
W

webcider

What OS are you using web?

Im using Windows 7 64 bit.

And yeah got the exact same symptoms.

I support your theory i had kind of the same hunch ^^ because the game isn't stuttering when there are no texture loading involved even if its high res textures. Most notable is the sky. However it sounds very good that it seems Caching works well so i can use that in dungeons just not when the sky is involved ^^
hopefully that can be fixed sometime when the problem is more obvious and knowledged for now its not a big deal for me.