What's new

Two Major Problems...

Outlawstar15a2

First, I'm new here. So I give out a hearty hello shout out to everyone here! Blood for the Blood God!!

However, my Chankast experience hasn't been the smoothest. First my vital PC specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (Kentfield)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT with 1 GB of VRAM
Motherboard: Intel Schroeder Town G33 motherboard with Intel G33 Express Chipset
Memory: 2 GB DDR2 RAM @ 800 MHz
Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi FaTality
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit

So from what I've read I should exceed Chankast's system requirements.

My problem is twofold. First, the sound is very glitchy. It's as if it's on crack it is extremely extremely messed up, kinda like listening to a woman speaking at 186,000 miles per second. I don't know why it's like that. The other problem is that I think the Emulator itself is running too quickly. The bouncing icons at the BIOS screen is running normally but the stats say the game is running at 120-128 FPS/60 FPS (I guess thats fast?) also it displays CPU: 100. I don't know what any of this means as I'm used to the info being stated in other ways.

Also a Third problem I have is getting Chankast to read the Daemon Tools mounted image I get a can't read TOC error. I read the FAQ but it wants me to update my HDD controller drivers and select the normal IDE drivers. I don't feel comfortable fooling with my HDD controller as my luck lately has been crap. So I take it if I was to find a alternative CD plugin it would do no good? Also it wanted me to download some Adaptec drivers? I'm so confused because I never had that problem with other emulators before...

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
-Switch to the xxx CD-ROM plugin to fix the TOC error. The TOC error shows up because Chankasts default to using the ASPI plugin, and ASPI support doesn't come with Windows 200 or later. ASPI is archaic too, so I wouldn't jump through more hoops just to get ASPI working.

-CPU:100 message means that the emulated Dreamcat CPU runs at 100%. This can be overclocked/underclocked with Numpad+/-.

-Some people also have the problem where Chankast runs too fast simply because the emulator doesn't have a framelimit option. This can supposedly be fixed this by setting their monitors to 60Hz refresh and forcing VSync in their video card drivers, although doing this doesn't help everybody.

-Considering that there are other, better and more accurate emulators out there than Chankast (like nullDC and Demul), there is very little reason to use something as old and buggy as Chankast. Sure, the choice is your in the end, but why settle for less? Chankast was last updated six years ago, that alone should be an indication of something.

Last edited:

Smallvictories

Man do I feel like a fool.. I was led to believe Chankast was like the only DC emulator.

I can't research for crap..

I gotta say, it works... kinda.. The whole having to mount an image to a virtual drive is sort of annoying, but much better than anything I can do myself.