What's new

N64 rom can be extract. It amazing!

decongamco

29/01/2010, accidentally I used 7zip and open V-Rally Edition 99 (E) [!].z64. Look
I can extract files in roms, however another roms can't be open with 7zip. Maybe them were encrypted :rolleyes:. Hope anyone can program extract n64 rom and maybe them will easy mod

Toasty

Sony battery
This does not work with any version of that game (nor should it work with any N64 ROM at all). The screenshot is either photoshopped or made from a 7z archive that was renamed to have a .z64 extension.

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Actually, if the data are packed with a 7zip compatible archiving format... extracting could work fine.

If the compressed file uses an invalid/custom header and such then it depends on how the application handles those cases (ie: extracting could work with 7zip and winzip but not with winrar).

It's just that on most cases the game data are packed with custom formats deeming them incompatible with existing file archivers. On those cases a custom unpacker is needed.

Tcll

Complexity == Fun >:3
it says (E) for Edited...

does it work in an emu??

I'd download and test it...
but I've got 6 projects I'm working on at the moment.

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
About the (E) thingy, it stands for "Europe" (U is for USA, J for Japan etc.) and it's the way GoodTools rename each ROM file to define its region.

Last edited:

Tcll

About the (E) thingy, it stands for "Europe" (U is for USA, J for Japan etc.) and it's the way GoodTools rename each ROM file to define its region.

AHH...
Dang, I was way off...

yea... all I have are (E)'s and (U)'s...
ther's why I thought that

thanx. =]

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
notworking.png

You sure that's an actual ROM, decongamco?

OP
D

decongamco

My 7zip is 9.07 beta. I only can open rom in picture. Another rom also can't open. Maybe only this rom can be extract, I used hex to open rom and see it load files . If using hex to open another rom, can see text (can be translate)

Last edited:

Tcll

My 7zip is 9.07 beta. I only can open rom in picture. Another rom also can't open. Maybe only this rom can be extract, I used hex to open rom and see it load files . If using hex to open another rom, can see text (can be translate)

SSB64 header looks like this:
80 37 12 40

the 1st 4 slots anyways...

I know 7z's look like this:
37 7A BC AF

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
You really didn't notice of what I wrote earlier did you guys? :plain:

It all depends on how data are packed in the ROM. It's just that some developers choose existing packing formats, thus making it possible (sometimes) to extract the thing using existing archivers (7-zip, Winzip and the likes). Most developers use custom archiving formats so that will not work most of the time.

V-Rally is the first case, the stuff that don't work are the second case. :p

Tcll

I see...

any way to interpret those custom ones yet???:huh:

then maybe I could finish one of my projects.:p
smashbrosfiles.blogspot.com

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Well, "interpreting" means reverse engineering and hacking in those cases.
You first have to learn how data are packed. This can be relatively easy or hard depending on how they are packed and if this happens using existing algorithms (with minor modifications or without modifications at all) or using new algorithms (and how hard it is to interpret them).
Then you have to use an existing unpacker or, most of the time, make your own.
Lastly you have to re-pack the modified/replaced data either by using the same algorithm(s) the game uses or by making you own algorithm(s).

Examples of the above steps are game hacks and translations. :)

Tcll

well... kinda not what I wanted to hear but ok...

didn't really need that last step... but thanx :)

I don't plan on recompiling,
I plan on deciphering the data... =]

Edit: Err..., I think I missed the point of what you just said... o_O

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
Ah, tried it with 9.10 beta and it works now. Sorry to doubt at first, but for every claim like this that's legitimate there are probably a hundred false ones. Since the stable 7-Zip release behaved as I posted, I had come to the conclusion that this was another. Peace. :flowers:

smcd

I was thinking it a joke post too especially after seeing "7zip 9.07 beta" I'm using current and it's 4.65 but apparently there is a 9.10 beta - *serious* jump in versioning. wtf :p (sorry for semi-offtopic)