What's new

N64 rom can be extract. It amazing!

Tcll

Complexity == Fun >:3
It's just that on most cases the game data are packed with custom formats deeming them incompatible with existing file archivers. On those cases a custom unpacker is needed.

I just had a thought...

When you say custom formats, do you mean just the header, or the entire file??

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
I mean the compression or the encryption algorithm or the file system of the whole ROM or a part of it, or even more than one of the above.

It's like trying to decompress a rar archive with a program that only supports zip files. The difference here is that there is widely available documentation on how to decompress rar archives, unfortunately this is not the case on most commercial applications/games/etc since this kind of info is usually kept private.

Tcll

I mean the compression or the encryption algorithm or the file system of the whole ROM or a part of it, or even more than one of the above.

It's like trying to decompress a rar archive with a program that only supports zip files. The difference here is that there is widely available documentation on how to decompress rar archives, unfortunately this is not the case on most commercial applications/games/etc since this kind of info is usually kept private.

For me it's below but whatever... :p

but yea I see what you mean,
basically the entire rom (you might as well say...)

I was thinking about replacing the header of one .z64 with the header of another...
"SSB64.z64"

Last edited:

Cyberman

Your sig is ridiculously large just so you know.

As for swapping headers, try it, the headers have specific data for that particular ROM. It's not a big deal too make a copy and then modify the copy. I doubt you will accomplish anything by doing so however. The headers are fairly specific to each game and the content in them. Most emulators rely on this data to properly know what the code type is as well. There are several microcode 'types' for the RDP.

Which leads us into why things are the way they are. Due to the memory constraints of the ROM cartridge N64 games had quite limited content space available. Of course this required some creative work to port games to it. A perfect example would resident evil 2. A lot of MP3 compressed audio and heavily compressed backgrounds. This was unnecessary in the PS1 version because they had 700megs and unlimited volumes for space, versus 64megs and a single cartridge for the N64.

Cyb

Last edited:
OP
D

decongamco

I used Nartool to decomplie Counter Strike Online and take models. I can't using direct them in Counter Strike 1.6 and I used half life model viewer decomplie, complie it. Now I can used CSO models for CS1.6. Maybe N64 roms similiar in this case

Tcll

Your sig is ridiculously large just so you know.

that's my uni-sig, but anyways...

I've got my sig set to "No-Show" on my profile,
but I didn't know you guy's could see it...

can you see it here??
(I've got it set to "No-Show" on this post)

Last edited:

Tcll

As for swapping headers, try it

well, I tried it.
it didn't work... :(

I tried replacing the header of "Super Smash Bros.z64", with the header of "V-Rally Edition 99 (E) [!].z64".

as for not knowing exactly how long the header is,
I got though 1/16 of the file before giving up...

obviously It's compressed in a differant format... :angry:
anyone know how HAL compresses their games??

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
7zipopenN64.jpg

Sure enough it can open this particular rom. Nothing else I've tried so far either just this one.